Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The main reason I held off on a Y. Even though the test vehicle I drove was absolutely perfect and I loved the car. Tesla really needs to focus on off the line quality.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
Someone mentioned this, probably good to keep perspective, regardless of manufacturer. Hopefully the MME is perfect.

"Went to the Corvette forum and see the same type of complaints with their new C8 Corvette.
Paint chips, poor interior stitching, wrong bolts being installed, panel misfits."

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
There are definitely issues for some. Elon even wrote an email to the employees talking about the need to fix those issues. I wonder what percentage of deliveries have problems though. Mine had a hatch and right rear door alignment issue which were fixed perfectly in a couple of hours. I also had a charging door issue that Tesla fixed the day after I reported it. Other than that it's been perfect. By far the best car I've owned. I took it in to the detail shop I go to to get the bumper & rocker panels wrapped and to be checked for needed paint corrections. They couldn't find anything that needed correcting. I'm still going to get it machine polished and then DIY ceramic coating. The Y's red paint needs it to look good long term I think. Advantage Ford on that one.

I'm still interested in the Mach-e, but TBH I'm somewhat dubious that Ford can hit the mark the Y has set. I hope they beat it, I really do. But damn, I really, really like the Y. If the E is better I'll have an even better car then!

vJason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3 LR AWD, Jeep Wrangler Sport 2D
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
It would be nice if they could apply just a little more paint. Mine was mostly ok, but it is definitely thin. PPF is rather important, at least for the bumper.

My 3 (~11/2018 build date) needed a glass roof replacement (off-center, enough so that I wouldn't have been able to use a roof rack if I wanted), a driver rear door alignment, and was missing a couple of fasteners. 22K miles and have lost about 4.5% of range (296/310 miles). That said, anything above 65MPH sustained and the range is more like 225-235 miles.

If Tesla could just work on initial quality and parts availability/service capacity it would go a long way. Misaligned panels and multiple easily observed paint defects are not a startup problem, they are a quality problem. Ford can definitely score points there, after that I'm anxious to see drivetrain performance/efficiency.

There are definitely issues for some. Elon even wrote an email to the employees talking about the need to fix those issues. I wonder what percentage of deliveries have problems though. Mine had a hatch and right rear door alignment issue which were fixed perfectly in a couple of hours. I also had a charging door issue that Tesla fixed the day after I reported it. Other than that it's been perfect. By far the best car I've owned. I took it in to the detail shop I go to to get the bumper & rocker panels wrapped and to be checked for needed paint corrections. They couldn't find anything that needed correcting. I'm still going to get it machine polished and then DIY ceramic coating. The Y's red paint needs it to look good long term I think. Advantage Ford on that one.

I'm still interested in the Mach-e, but TBH I'm somewhat dubious that Ford can hit the mark the Y has set. I hope they beat it, I really do. But damn, I really, really like the Y. If the E is better I'll have an even better car then!

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
It would be nice if they could apply just a little more paint. Mine was mostly ok, but it is definitely thin. PPF is rather important, at least for the bumper.

My 3 (~11/2018 build date) needed a glass roof replacement (off-center, enough so that I wouldn't have been able to use a roof rack if I wanted), a driver rear door alignment, and was missing a couple of fasteners. 22K miles and have lost about 4.5% of range (296/310 miles). That said, anything above 65MPH sustained and the range is more like 225-235 miles.

If Tesla could just work on initial quality and parts availability/service capacity it would go a long way. Misaligned panels and multiple easily observed paint defects are not a startup problem, they are a quality problem. Ford can definitely score points there, after that I'm anxious to see drivetrain performance/efficiency.
Agreed, and from the email he sent Elon agrees with you too. I'm probably fortunate, I don't really know. I think the paint issues are going to continue as long as they paint cars in California. That said, my paint is as good as anything I've seen on any factory car. Others are absolutely having issues though. What the percentage is bad to good I don't think we can know other than it's high enough that Elon is upset about it. So too high.

I'll be taking a close look at the E when it comes out. I'm not married to the Y or Tesla. But Ford is going to have to step it up over what I'm seeing in the wild. The "Ruby Red E In the Wild" thread on here has left me very underwhelmed with the brakes and tires.

Your range degradation isn't necessarily battery degradation. The only way to check that accurately is charge it to full and then run it down to 10% Look at the Kwh used and multiply by 1.1. That will give you battery capacity minus whatever unknown safety margin Tesla includes. The range estimation includes changes in estimated efficiency. Environmental conditions like wet roads can have an impact on that number over time. Mine goes up and down all the time.

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
OH DEAR, NOT AGAIN —
Tesla reportedly shipping Model Ys with significant manufacturing defects
Electrek and pro-Tesla subreddits are full of refused deliveries due to defects.
JONATHAN M. GITLIN

sad-tesla-model-y-800x450.jpg

Tesla / Aurich Lawson

Buying a car during its first year of production can always be a bit of a crapshoot. Sadly, that definitely appears to be the case with Tesla's latest crossover, the Model Y. The source of these complaints? The notably pro-Tesla publication Electrek and the popular subreddits for fans of the American electric car brand. Yesterday, Electrek published an article citing multiple examples of customers refusing delivery on Model Ys due to production defects like broken seatbelts, loose seats, and more.

Quality control has been an issue with new Tesla models in the past—when the brand started building the Model 3 sedan in 2017, CEO Elon Musk regularly complained that the company was in "production hell" as it tried to work out the kinksof an expensive new automated production line. Eventually, the company had to resort to assembling the cars on a completely new, much less automated line, using temporary structures rapidly assembled at its factory in Fremont, California.

That was not supposed to be the case with its latest vehicle. Model 3 production issues are believed to have been solved at this point, particularly as Tesla is now mass-producing that vehicle at a new factory in China, incorporating the lessons of the last few years. And given the high degree of commonality between the Model 3 sedan and the Model Y crossover, it was reasonable to expect that this newest addition to the lineup would happen smoothly.
However, last week Musk told his employees that there were "production and supply chain ramp challenges" with the new crossover and implored his workforce to do better.

Among the issues catalogued at Electrek, on Reddit, and on YouTube channels are excessive road noise and alignment issues, rear hatches that don't close properly, charge port doors that don't close, misaligned doors and exterior trim, scratched body panels, substandard paint, underfloor panels that weren't fully attached to the car, dirty or damaged interiors, broken seat belts, and even rear seats that aren't actually attached to the rest of the car.

The Tesla Model Y community has even gone so far as to create a crowdsourced checklist of things that buyers of the $60,990 electric crossover should examine carefully before accepting delivery.

The editor in chief of Electrek, Fred Lambert, had harsh words for the brand regarding Model Y production problems, writing:
I am the first to cut Tesla some slack when it comes to the quality of vehicles early in a production ramp-up, but this seems a lot worse than usual.
We covered the Model 3 launch closely and it certainly wasn’t without quality issues, but it was nothing like the reports I am seeing for Model Y these days.
Of course, what we don’t see are the happy Model Y owners reporting deliveries of flawless vehicles because they are too busy enjoying their new car, but I wouldn’t chalk this up to a vocal minority having issues here.
There’s not a day that goes by without Model Y owners reporting to us that Tesla attempted delivery of an unacceptable vehicle and I am seeing a surprising number of people communicating similar issues on forums.
It looks to me that the “rectification needs” Elon mentioned are overwhelming Tesla’s quality control, but the automaker is still trying to deliver the Model Y vehicles with defects in order to save their quarter.
As Lambert notes, these problems are occurring close to Tesla's traditional end-of-quarter production push, but they could not be happening at a worse time for the carmaker. Tesla lost several weeks of production to an enforced factory shutdown due to COVID-19, and The Wall Street Journal reported that its deliveries of new vehicles in California in May were down 70 percent, year on year, compared to a general industry decline of 52 percent.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
This is from https://arstechnica.com/?p=1684433 and pretty much is why I am sticking with my Mach-E order. I fully expect Ford will successfully [checks notes] install seat belts, the rear seat, and the floor panels correctly.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I pre-ordered a Model Y day 1. I still have the car on order. But I've been holding off on purchasing for exactly this reason. I pre-ordered the MachE because Ford has way more experience in fit and finish, as well as a robust customer service solution. That said, if my local Ford dealership tries to add ADM, I'll probably stick with the Y. Better range, faster, (other than GT). It would be nice to drive an EV in my area that is different from Tesla. Tesla's are as common as Honda where I live. We'll see.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
Before i state this .. i'm fully aware of people having issues with Model 3/Y from a build quality standpoint.

That being said .. .They have a rep for that. So I think part of the complaints come from the fact that people go into buying a Tesla and use a fine tooth comb to go over their cars. A lot of the things that people mentioned, i would have never thought to look for and likely would have never noticed if they hadn't pointed things out. The two brand new ordered cars I've ever owned were my Tesla Model 3 and a 2006 Pontiac GTO. There were actually more defects on the GTO than there were on my Tesla. They had to repaint a whole door due to a scratch on the GTO.

Ford likely has a better overall quality, but i think people just have a heightened sense of fear with quality with Teslas due to the coverage of them. They probably are looking for things they would never ever notice on the legacy manufacturers.

vJason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3 LR AWD, Jeep Wrangler Sport 2D
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Yeah, I've done the drain and charge thing multiple times, no change. Only change happens is when things warm up, I get about a 5 mile estimated bump then. TeslaFi reports between 291-296 for the last 10K miles, changing some along with the weather.

Ultimately it doesn't matter because for my trips to the coast and back I average above 70, and at that speed the range drops anyway. It's a 210-mile trip, and if I want to do it in 1 shot I pretty much have to charge <=95% to arrive at about 5%. That said there is a nice SC about halfway there (actually 4 between my start point and destination) so I always stop anyway.

Main downside with the Ford is only 1 EA station between where I am in Raleigh and the Coast (Rocky Mount). It's more than enough for the trip, but Rocky Mount is a busy exit while the Plymouth Tesla SC is in a quiet area (in the country) and rarely busy.

Agreed, and from the email he sent Elon agrees with you too. I'm probably fortunate, I don't really know. I think the paint issues are going to continue as long as they paint cars in California. That said, my paint is as good as anything I've seen on any factory car. Others are absolutely having issues though. What the percentage is bad to good I don't think we can know other than it's high enough that Elon is upset about it. So too high.

I'll be taking a close look at the E when it comes out. I'm not married to the Y or Tesla. But Ford is going to have to step it up over what I'm seeing in the wild. The "Ruby Red E In the Wild" thread on here has left me very underwhelmed with the brakes and tires.

Your range degradation isn't necessarily battery degradation. The only way to check that accurately is charge it to full and then run it down to 10% Look at the Kwh used and multiply by 1.1. That will give you battery capacity minus whatever unknown safety margin Tesla includes. The range estimation includes changes in estimated efficiency. Environmental conditions like wet roads can have an impact on that number over time. Mine goes up and down all the time.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That being said .. .They have a rep for that. So I think part of the complaints come from the fact that people go into buying a Tesla and use a fine tooth comb to go over their cars. A lot of the things that people mentioned, i would have never thought to look for and likely would have never noticed if they hadn't pointed things out. The two brand new ordered cars I've ever owned were my Tesla Model 3 and a 2006 Pontiac GTO. There were actually more defects on the GTO than there were on my Tesla. They had to repaint a whole door due to a scratch on the GTO.
I can't speak to your GTO, but the videos show some pretty basic quality issues that are not "fine tooth comb". The hatchback lid not closing, the rear seats not folding down right or back up right, seats not being attached, seat belts not being attached... those are not "fine tooth comb" things. At least not to me. I wouldn't accept any of that on a $30K crossover, let alone a $60K one.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I can't speak to your GTO, but the videos show some pretty basic quality issues that are not "fine tooth comb". The hatchback lid not closing, the rear seats not folding down right or back up right, seats not being attached, seat belts not being attached... those are not "fine tooth comb" things. At least not to me. I wouldn't accept any of that on a $30K crossover, let alone a $60K one.
Reminds me of a Yugo.