My Test Drive - LOVED IT

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Finally test drove a MME today. Premium Extended Range AWD. I've read and watched a ton about this car, so I was prepared to be a little disappointed. I was not disappointed. Here are my thoughts, in no particular order.....

This car looks every bit as good in person as it does in the pictures. I would, however, not go with the Black. That's what I test drove and it just doesn't pop at all.

Door latches worked better than expected. Doors felt very solid opening and closing.

I think Tru was complaining about the center armrest being set too far back. Didn't observe that at all. My entire arm fit very comfortably there. The seating was also quite comfortable.

I would say the drive height is just barely acceptable. I wanted an SUV because I like riding high. Well it's not going to put you nearly as high as a Highlander or something like that, but it's certainly higher than a sedan.

The glass roof is amazing. I agree with Tru that it would have been nice to move it forward by a couple of inches, but it gives a lot of headroom. Tall people DO need to be careful getting into the back seat though. I bumped my head on the door jamb getting in the first time. No such issues in the front.

The interior materials feel high quality. The center screen is solid - no wiggles like you might expect for the way it just floats there.

The user interface was amazingly intuitive. I only had a few minutes to play around with it and I felt very comfortable. No screen lag that I can discern, but there were a few "loading" pauses. Nothing distracting. The volume knob did feel just a little flimsy, but worked great.

As others have said, the acceleration is incredible because it's an EV, and it's sneaky, too. The only indicator of how quickly you're accelerating is the slight pressure back into the seat. It was FUN.

One Pedal Driving is aggressive. Damn it brings you to a stop quick. I can see myself really enjoying that, but coming from a hybrid where I've trained myself to glide as much as possible, it's going to take some getting used to.

This car has a very quiet ride, and a very smooth ride. Took it on a few back roads and very smooth.

I got my first taste of Adaptive Cruise Control on the highway. Worked awesome. I also quickly figured out how to set the thresholds for Intelligent ACC.

I think I had Lane Keep Assist turned on, but I'm less sure about how well that worked. Not enough time to test.

Two little things I've never seen discussed before: the front camera has a washer? LOL. Not sure about the back camera. Also, the rear hatch is adjustable. You can set it to lift up any height if you have some garage constraints. I liked that. Probably pretty common these days but never saw it discussed.

Just a few little downsides:
- The frunk was smaller than I expected. Looks bigger in the pics. It really isn't gonna be super useful even after removing the dividers.
- The rear storage space is likewise not as big as it seems in the pics. Adequate but not cavernous. I don't get the fabric cover back there - that's going away. The adjustable floor back there is likewise a little wobbly.

The dealer I visited in Wichita actually sold one off the lot a few days ago. They're keeping one for test driving, but they are ordering as much inventory as they can get. I saw a Tesla Model S on the used car lot - a trade in for the MME?

For what it is worth (not a lot), dealer said that current orders are looking at about 3mos to delivery.

Well there you have it. My thoughts. I'm a pretty critical person so, again, I was prepared for this car to not meet my expectations. It really did, guys. Exceeded them in some ways. It's a WINNER.
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Good review, learned a few things from it.

3 months?? One could hope, that would mean I am less than a month away from delivery and not just waiting for a build week.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Forgot to mention that we came to a complete stop at one point in traffic with ACC. I never had to to touch the brake to stop or gas to get moving again. Fun.

Also, while stopped in traffic I heard an engine revving. Looked over and it was some guy in a Shelby very excited about the MME. But for the traffic, would have loved to race him off the line. I expect there’s gonna be a lot of that reaction for a while.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
Finally test drove a MME today. Premium Extended Range AWD. I've read and watched a ton about this car, so I was prepared to be a little disappointed. I was not disappointed. Here are my thoughts, in no particular order.....

This car looks every bit as good in person as it does in the pictures. I would, however, not go with the Black. That's what I test drove and it just doesn't pop at all.

Door latches worked better than expected. Doors felt very solid opening and closing.

I think Tru was complaining about the center armrest being set too far back. Didn't observe that at all. My entire arm fit very comfortably there. The seating was also quite comfortable.

I would say the drive height is just barely acceptable. I wanted an SUV because I like riding high. Well it's not going to put you nearly as high as a Highlander or something like that, but it's certainly higher than a sedan.

The glass roof is amazing. I agree with Tru that it would have been nice to move it forward by a couple of inches, but it gives a lot of headroom. Tall people DO need to be careful getting into the back seat though. I bumped my head on the door jamb getting in the first time. No such issues in the front.

The interior materials feel high quality. The center screen is solid - no wiggles like you might expect for the way it just floats there.

The user interface was amazingly intuitive. I only had a few minutes to play around with it and I felt very comfortable. No screen lag that I can discern, but there were a few "loading" pauses. Nothing distracting. The volume knob did feel just a little flimsy, but worked great.

As others have said, the acceleration is incredible because it's an EV, and it's sneaky, too. The only indicator of how quickly you're accelerating is the slight pressure back into the seat. It was FUN.

One Pedal Driving is aggressive. Damn it brings you to a stop quick. I can see myself really enjoying that, but coming from a hybrid where I've trained myself to glide as much as possible, it's going to take some getting used to.

This car has a very quiet ride, and a very smooth ride. Took it on a few back roads and very smooth.

I got my first taste of Adaptive Cruise Control on the highway. Worked awesome. I also quickly figured out how to set the thresholds for Intelligent ACC.

I think I had Lane Keep Assist turned on, but I'm less sure about how well that worked. Not enough time to test.

Two little things I've never seen discussed before: the front camera has a washer? LOL. Not sure about the back camera. Also, the rear hatch is adjustable. You can set it to lift up any height if you have some garage constraints. I liked that. Probably pretty common these days but never saw it discussed.

- The frunk was smaller than I expected. Looks bigger in the pics. It really isn't gonna be super useful even after removing the dividers.
- The rear storage space is likewise not as big as it seems in the pics. Adequate but not cavernous. I don't get the fabric cover back there - that's going away. The adjustable floor back there is likewise a little wobbly.

The dealer I visited in Wichita actually sold one off the lot a few days ago. They're keeping one for test driving, but they are ordering as much inventory as they can get. I saw a Tesla Model S on the used car lot - a trade in for the MME?

For what it is worth (not a lot), dealer said that current orders are looking at about 3mos to delivery.

Well there you have it. My thoughts. I'm a pretty critical person so, again, I was prepared for this car to not meet my expectations. It really did, guys. Exceeded them in some ways. It's a WINNER.
Good review. Couple of thoughts from my dealer visits.

I was critical of the feel of the volume dial until I found out it was glued to screen. So I rescind complaint.

i thought the doors were amazing. Operated with one finger. And from the interior I loved the way they opened, and felt. Different from any other car I’ve been in.

I agree about getting in the back seat and hitting my head. I joked at the time I need a cop to load me in the back.

get mine couple weeks from now. Reviews like yours keep me psyched.

thanks.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

Awesome review! I can't wait!!
Is this Rusty Eck Ford? I've been to Wichita a few times and I have relatives there. Wouldn't mind a test drive.
Also, I've ordered it in black. Different opinion :p Black is the best color, it's beautiful. After Grabber Blue.

Forgot to mention that we came to a complete stop at one point in traffic with ACC. I never had to to touch the brake to stop or gas to get moving again. Fun.

Also, while stopped in traffic I heard an engine revving. Looked over and it was some guy in a Shelby very excited about the MME. But for the traffic, would have loved to race him off the line. I expect there’s gonna be a lot of that reaction for a while.
Haha, that's great. Although any late model Shelby GT500 or GT350 would crush a non-GT Mach-E :))). Even a Mustang GT would, but we'd probably get one off the line.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I don't get the fabric cover back there - that's going away.
One nice thing is when not using it, you can slip that fabric cover right under the rear floor deck.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Since you're in Kansas, you should be able to just pick one off the lot. They have all the overflow stock at the Speedway. ;)

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah it funny that they’re all going through KC. Used to live very close to speedway. I would have been out there with a lens.

I went to Mel Hambelton. Rusty Eck is closer but they don’t have one yet for test drives. Mel had two, kept one for test drives and sold the other straight off the lot. They are a big dealer and apparently they can actually get one or two for inventory.

Az MachE

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Thank you for your report. I do enjoy everyone's opinion shared here on thy his forum.

Reactions: ARK

NotSoJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Mustang Mach-E reservation holder
Country flag

If people don't know already, I'm not at all a car guy (38 years old, just changed my first flat tire last week) and liken myself more to a nerd. If somebody in a Shelby does rev his engine next to me, what am I actually supposed to do? A) avoid eye contact (my first sense)? B) give a thumbs up or, better yet, surfs up?!?! C) shift to unbridled, wait for the green light and floor it? D) roll the window down and ask what he needs?

I am not sure I'm ready for the attention and it's giving me nerd anxiety.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If people don't know already, I'm not at all a car guy (38 years old, just changed my first flat tire last week) and liken myself more to a nerd. If somebody in a Shelby does rev his engine next to me, what am I actually supposed to do? A) avoid eye contact (my first sense)? B) give a thumbs up or, better yet, surfs up?!?! C) shift to unbridled, wait for the green light and floor it? D) roll the window down and ask what he needs?

I too am not a car guy so I’m not used to being revved at - if that’s the correct terminology. I gave him an awkward laugh and a nod which felt about right. I gotta say though, it woulda been fun to punch it and beat him off the line - for a second or two.

Last edited:

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag

Thanks for the great write up!

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag

?✌?… anything but ?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

give them the ol' Tom Hanks

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Test Drive - LOVED IT giphy (1)

or, if you want to, give them the ol' Tom Hanks adjacent:

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Test Drive - LOVED IT Output file

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 2WD ER, 2022 MINI Cooper S EV
Occupation
Industrial network architect
Country flag
Did a test drive yesterday, the car may still be for sale at Crossroads Ford Wake Forest NC (Ask for Rodney Nowell), and I loved it. Other then the color (silver) it is what I ordered. And if it were not for the color I may have tried to get the dealer to let me have it. Extended range battery 2WD Premium. Can't wait to get mine now. They build it next week.

My 2 cents:
  • agree with many points discussed above
  • Love the dash displays. Both of them!!
  • really glad about the "volume knob" on the display. I use both steering wheel controls and the knobs on my other cars.
  • This new Sync system is the "da bomb". Have Sync 2 today this 4a is a step up!!!
  • build quality was impressive, certainly better the any Tesla I have looked at.
  • the propulsion sound was 'meh' turned it off
  • was surprised and pleased about the warning for school crosswalks, always brake late it seems
  • 1 pedal was not hard to get used to, likely will leave it on. It is aggressive however as a "lead foot" I did find I had to use the brakes now and then as well.
  • it is quiet but not silent. There was a whine when driving that was not present when stopped did not matter whisper, engaged, or unbridled. Did not have enough time with the car to really try to sort it out. It was also not bothersome.
  • very comfy seats, plenty of room.
  • being a wet rainy day the front and rear cameras did distort with water on the lens. Not a new problem for cars with cameras.
  • plan to use the "Front Luggage Compartment" for the weekly shopping and not being able to"fob" it open will be an irritation. Never just go to one store so being able to place frozen and cold items in there with an icepack will be very handy. Rather than in full view of the sun or curious shoppers. Yes I could just leave the car to cool itself but the battery consumption may not always be convenient. Needs to be one of the first updates please.
  • the steering wheel position is not bad but I could not lower it to my liking. Seems they did not want to allow the center LED to get blocked.
  • Wife loved the lane keeping, thank you Ford! However found the right side got confused when the shoulder was missing a line and in the wet the road and the shoulder looked a lot a like.
  • No trailer hitch possible, how to carry the bikes?
Looking forward to getting mine!!
Sponsored