JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Reads a lot like snake oil to me especially considering I can't even get to the ndb.technology website...hmm.

(It could be something like the "batteries" they send out on spacecraft which use the heat from nuclear decay to generate electricity but those couldn't generate the amount necessary to move a car along at 50 mph.)

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Maybe the site is getting overrun this morning by the curious like me. I agree it sounds way too good to be true. Can you imagine the disruption this would create if it were real?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'm not seeing this being marketable anytime soon.

The official website focuses on the hype of industry predictions and other people's successes. And it sorely needs a grammar checker.

In this press release, the first image indicates 100 microwatts of power for one packaged betavoltaic generator. To drive a 210 kilowatt motor, you may need up to 2.1 billion of those little generators (and they need to be connected).

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 GTPE
Country flag
I'm not seeing this being marketable anytime soon.

The official website focuses on the hype of industry predictions and other people's successes. And it sorely needs a grammar checker.

In this press release, the first image indicates 100 microwatts of power for one packaged betavoltaic generator. To drive a 210 kilowatt motor, you may need up to 2.1 billion of those little generators (and they need to be connected).
Definitely not anytime soon, although they do claim it’s scaleable and has superior density to Li-on. But IF this comes to fruition, it’s likely to target everyday battery powered consumer goods before cars... and maybe even used as a built in self charger/range extenders type fitting in EVs?

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 GTPE
Country flag
(It could be something like the "batteries" they send out on spacecraft which use the heat from nuclear decay to generate electricity but those couldn't generate the amount necessary to move a car along at 50 mph.)
Do you think it could generate enough to trickle charge a battery and be used as a range extender?

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
Reads a lot like snake oil to me especially considering I can't even get to the ndb.technology website...hmm.

While it may not or never be a marketable product, it is neither perpetual motion nor snake oil. It is essentially a type of nuclear power where they use the energy emitted from radioactive isotopes to charge a battery. (And since the charging elements are built into the battery pack it is labeled "self-charging".) They have been using similar technology in space probes. The key things are how effectively can they shield the radiation under real world conditions when it is being produced at a level that can charge a car battery; and how much such a solution might cost.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Coming next: The Kia Neutron, no charging required
First Edition available with exclusive Kim Jong-un autographed dash

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Doing a little more research: Not hugely disruptive. Seems that these batteries don't produce much charge and have a very very low charge density.

So if you could build a lot of them and integrate them into an existing Li-Ion battery (so that they could trickle charge the battery) it may work. Seems like they don't produce enough to get an effective charge....

So count me in the "I'll believe it when I see a finished product" category...

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Coming next: The Kia Neutron, no charging required
First Edition available with exclusive Kim Jong-un autographed dash
Are they going to have a “Neutron Drop” for the FE? With celebrity drop by Dennis Rodman?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
...and quite probably, highly radioactive. But, sounds promising.
?Batteryman, Batteryman,
does whatever a battery does
spins voltage, any size
powers motors better than ICE
look out! here comes the Batteryman!?
Sponsored