Does DC fast charging damage batteries?

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Think of it as extra wear. Like not changing your oil. Tesla is the only DCFC heavy battery with enough data to know the full extent of how hard it is on the battery. They use a different type of cell so makes the comparison more complex.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Think of it as extra wear. Like not changing your oil. Tesla is the only DCFC heavy battery with enough data to know the full extent of how hard it is on the battery. They use a different type of cell so makes the comparison more complex.
This is not true. The BMW I3 has had DCFC fast charges for over 8 years now and the Volt technically charges similar to 40 kw at cell level for a 90kwh type battery. which is similar to DCFC. Almost all new EV's are based on these (2) experienced engineering bases. for reference the 24wh (18 kwh) usable BMW I3 charged at 50 kw back in 2012. This is the equivalent of 200-250 kw charging on a modern 90 kwh battery! Even now modern batteries struggle to maintain that charge level at cell level.

The TSLA experience curve is oddly largely inapplicable for non-TSLA EV's. The nissan leaf air cooled design seems to have died on the vine. No one is advancing that one. The old RAV-4 EV design w/ NMC cells air cooled has also died. I loved that car. NMC is such a durable design, pity about all the draw backs.

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The less heat while charging the better. All charging is DC of course.....the faster the charge the more heat is generated. If the heat can be managed well enough then the battery won't be affected as much.
Sponsored