Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Prem Ext Range AWD
Occupation
IT Management
Country flag
Let me explain a bit. :).

I've been noticing recently that when I start my Mache in Engage mode, I seem to have zero pedal resistance. pressing the L offers none.

To resolve, I have to switch to unbridled mode and take my foot of the gas, then switch back to engage. Resistance returns, L works again.

Even just putting on 1 pedal drive doesn't seem to "fix it", although 1 pedal itself does work, when I turn it back off, the resistance does not stay.

Has anyone else run into this issue? I'm running 3.6.2. my screen says it's getting/has 4.2.1 however, the update button is greyed out.
Sponsored

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
If your battery is 100% when you start, you may have limited/no regen on liftoff. Maybe by the time you sort through modes you've used enough juice that whatever you did "worked."

I might have misread your question, though.

OP
OP

Gumber

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Management
Country flag
If your battery is 100% when you start, you may have limited/no regen on liftoff. Maybe by the time you sort through modes you've used enough juice that whatever you did "worked."

huh... that's interesting. I didn't know that. I didn't notice it before at 100%, but maybe it's a new "feature"

I'm down at 93% now, when I leave the office I'll see if I get any regen right away.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag

I routinely charge to 100% when taking a trip. Regen feels no different than other levels of charge. I always use Unbridle mode.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I routinely charge to 100% when taking a trip. Regen feels no different than other levels of charge. I always use Unbridle mode.
Same here- total shot in the dark answer. The Tesla would warn me that regen was limited when the battery was full, but I haven't seen it in the MME. Best I could come up with.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Same here- total shot in the dark answer. The Tesla would warn me that regen was limited when the battery was full, but I haven't seen it in the MME. Best I could come up with.
From what I've read here, charging stops on the Mach-E at "100%" but there is still a little room in the tank, so that Regen can still work the way drivers expect it to feel. If you charge to 100% and then drive down a long hill, though, you will reach the "truly full" point where regenerative braking can't be provided.

OP
OP

Gumber

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Management
Country flag
OK... so I did some testing last night, into this morning and ya... I can confirm what's being said here... though it's a bit misleading on the Ford side. I think Ford needs to add a Tesla style alert... something like "limited regen" or "no regen active". It creates confusion and changes your driving style in my opinion.

So here's the test.

I charged to 95%... took it out, regen was there.
I charged to 99%... took it out, regen was there.
I charged to 100% (barely)... took it out, regen was there.
I charged to FULL 100%, took it out, no regen.

Much like an ICE car's gas gauge, you can run it at full for a bit, it seems the Ford charge meter also does this.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
OK... so I did some testing last night, into this morning and ya... I can confirm what's being said here... though it's a bit misleading on the Ford side. I think Ford needs to add a Tesla style alert... something like "limited regen" or "no regen active". It creates confusion and changes your driving style in my opinion.

So here's the test.

Much like an ICE car's gas gauge, you can run it at full for a bit, it seems the Ford charge meter also does this.
What’s the difference between 100% barely and full 100%?

When I charge to 100% overnight, the car charges until it stops and I still have normal regen.

OP
OP

Gumber

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Management
Country flag
What’s the difference between 100% barely and full 100%?

When I charge to 100% overnight, the car charges until it stops and I still have normal regen.
Interesting. I can charge mine to 100% but it's not "full". My charge adds approx 50km of charge after it reaches 100.

at present, a ~ 410km range is the start of 100%. After the car will stop charging at 460km range at 100%

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
So what's the difference? You manually stop charging as soon as it hits 100% vs. letting it go until it stops?

The car will switch to an absorption phase once the voltage reaches 100%. Basically the pack voltage is held constant and the charger will wait until the current absorbed by the pack decreases to almost nothing.

Above 95% you really don't want to be pushing a lot of regen, that's bad for the pack. Tesla is smarter than Ford about it and tapers regen above 90% because of this. Regen is also a reason why you shouldn't charge above 90% for daily use.

I've said this before, but I think Ford does not have the best regen programming. They don't limit it as much as they should when it affects pack health, such as when the pack is cold or almost full. But they sure limit the hell out of it when you're DC charging though.

OP
OP

Gumber

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Management
Country flag
So what's the difference? You manually stop charging as soon as it hits 100% vs. letting it go until it stops?
yep. I normally just let it go. But noticed a couple of months ago that 100% doesn't really mean "full".

So for the sake of pure testing last night, Stopped it as soon as it hit 100% (410Km)

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag

The car will switch to an absorption phase once the voltage reaches 100%. Basically the pack voltage is held constant and the charger will wait until the current absorbed by the pack decreases to almost nothing.

Above 95% you really don't want to be pushing a lot of regen, that's bad for the pack. Tesla is smarter than Ford about it and tapers regen above 90% because of this. Regen is also a reason why you shouldn't charge above 90% for daily use.

I've said this before, but I think Ford does not have the best regen programming. They don't limit it as much as they should when it affects pack health, such as when the pack is cold or almost full. But they sure limit the hell out of it when you're DC charging though.
No regen above 90% is dangerous in MYO. The Bolt was like that, you get very accustomed to pedal feel and after a few days when you charge back up over 90% you are shocked as you hurdle towards a stop with no regen. The cars should all simulate regen using friction brakes if they cant use regen itself. That would also help to periodically clean off the rotors.

The Mach-E having regen all the way to 100% is an advantage it has over the competition.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

So here's the test.

That's not surprising. This is yet one more reason Ford recommends not charging to 100% unless you really need it full. I keep my standard charge setting at 85% only only charge to 100% right before long trips.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
No regen above 90% is dangerous in MYO. The Bolt was like that, you get very accustomed to pedal feel and after a few days when you charge back up over 90% you are shocked as you hurdle towards a stop with no regen. The cars should all simulate regen using friction brakes if they cant use regen itself. That would also help to periodically clean off the rotors.

The Mach-E having regen all the way to 100% is an advantage it has over the competition.
Tesla does this. It simulates friction brakes when regen is limited. This is was included in an OTA update last year.
Sponsored