James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 4X, Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have noticed some strange behavior from my MME over the last few days, and I'm not sure what to make of it. First, I noticed that the range was showing quite a bit less than usual for an equivalent charge percentage. Yes, I know it's a GOM, but the range for a 90% charge has been 300-305 miles since I purchased the car in April, and now 90% target charge level shows a range of 210 miles. Driving style, frequency, and environmental factors have not changed. There also appears to be an issue with charging. I have the Grizzl-e standard EVSE, and typically see a charge rate of nearly 30 miles per charging hour at 40 amps. The car has been on the charges for 44 minutes now, and I'm showing a 0% increase, and a 1 mile range increase. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I also have a Wrangler 4XE that charges just fine, so I'm confident that the charger is working. I don't have any error codes, so going to the dealer and telling them my range is off feels like it would be a great way to waste a day. I'm really hoping I can just do a "reboot".
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have noticed some strange behavior from my MME over the last few days, and I'm not sure what to make of it. First, I noticed that the range was showing quite a bit less than usual for an equivalent charge percentage. Yes, I know it's a GOM, but the range for a 90% charge has been 300-305 miles since I purchased the car in April, and now 90% target charge level shows a range of 210 miles. Driving style, frequency, and environmental factors have not changed. There also appears to be an issue with charging. I have the Grizzl-e standard EVSE, and typically see a charge rate of nearly 30 miles per charging hour at 40 amps. The car has been on the charges for 44 minutes now, and I'm showing a 0% increase, and a 1 mile range increase. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I also have a Wrangler 4XE that charges just fine, so I'm confident that the charger is working. I don't have any error codes, so going to the dealer and telling them my range is off feels like it would be a great way to waste a day. I'm really hoping I can just do a "reboot".
Isn't it much warmer during the summer compared to the spring? That would do it. If you have the standard size battery than I think your figures are on par. My GOM is returning to it's optimistic self now that summer temps are trending down below 100 degrees where I live.

I also have a 4xe. Kinda fun vehicle. We are getting about 28 miles of range per charge before the ICE turns on. Average MPG calculated by the instrument cluster is 39.5 mpg. Not bad for a Wrangler. :)

08-11-21 90 percent.jpg

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don't think anything is wrong. In Fordpass it only updates every once in a while; on android swipe down from the top a few times to get it to update the % charged and kwh. Even then, sometimes the app doesn't update. Nonetheless, I once noticed my grizzl-e was charging slower thatn it should, so I just power cycled the grizzl-e and it's been fine since.

If you're in the car and it's not increasing, check the circle lights on the charge port. If they are not blue (with 1 blinking) then it isn't charging at all. unplug and plug back in right away to see if it starts charging

As for the GOM: it's a waste of time to worry about. Ford needs to work on the algorithm they're using; for now don't worry about it. All that matters is the mi/kwh you actually get when driving

OP
OP
CivilJeep

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the response @SnBGC Yes, it is much warmer, but the range has been consistently in the 300-305 band from April until 2 days ago, and nothing significant has changed in the last 48 hours. Also, thank you for pointing it out, I should have mentioned that I have the extended range battery and AWD.

We really like the 4XE also, and to be honest, I probably wouldn't have considered it without a good experience with the MME so far. I've had a Jeep since high school (which has been awhile!), so it's really been a unique experience. I'm also seeing about 28 miles from a full charge.

OP
OP
CivilJeep

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
As for the GOM: it's a waste of time to worry about. Ford needs to work on the algorithm they're using; for now don't worry about it. All that matters is the mi/kwh you actually get when driving
I don't disagree, I guess it's just such a significant change in such a short period that I'm concerned. If it was 20 miles of difference, I wouldn't be thinking about it, but 100 miles seems like a lot....

Track44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had the charging issue three weeks ago. It wouldn't charge at home or at a Chargepoint charger. The dealer had it on their charger for 16 hours and it gained a total of 18 miles. After running a lot of diagnostics and a visit from a Ford engineer it was determined the onboard charger (or onboard controller?) was faulty. The part was backordered and they had the car for 18 days but I have it back now and working great. You might want to try several different chargers and if the same result you might have my problem. Good luck.

OP
OP
CivilJeep

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I had the charging issue three weeks ago. It wouldn't charge at home or at a Chargepoint charger. The dealer had it on their charger for 16 hours and it gained a total of 18 miles. After running a lot of diagnostics and a visit from a Ford engineer it was determined the onboard charger (or onboard controller?) was faulty. The part was backordered and they had the car for 18 days but I have it back now and working great. You might want to try several different chargers and if the same result you might have my problem. Good luck.
Thanks for the response. Did you see any range projection changes while you were having issues?

Track44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the response. Did you see any range projection changes while you were having issues?
No. The range projections stayed consistent, and it did add the few miles that it was picking up, but again, it was barely charging so I wasn't really seeing any SOC or mileage changes.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Thanks for the response @SnBGC Yes, it is much warmer, but the range has been consistently in the 300-305 band from April until 2 days ago, and nothing significant has changed in the last 48 hours. Also, thank you for pointing it out, I should have mentioned that I have the extended range battery and AWD.

We really like the 4XE also, and to be honest, I probably wouldn't have considered it without a good experience with the MME so far. I've had a Jeep since high school (which has been awhile!), so it's really been a unique experience. I'm also seeing about 28 miles from a full charge.
How are your tire pressure readings? Normal? That drastic of a reduction in estimated range might indicate increased rolling resistance?

If your miles/kWh is above 3.3 then I think you are fine and nothing to worry about except a moody GOM.
If you are seeing less than 3 during an average commute then something could be wrong.

Tonio's MachE

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE
Occupation
Accounting
Country flag
On Friday 9/10 I charged my MME to 100% it said I had 265 miles of range when complete. I charge at work and on Friday to 100% to last the weekend. I have a Select AWD 211 mile range MME. I have had the car for a month, 2300 miles. When the car was delivered it had a max range of 177 due to all the test drives.
It progressively increases every charge and last Friday was the most range it has ever showed after fully charging. Once I unplugged from the ChargePoint Home Flex charger and came back into the office, I opened the APP up and it said I was at 100% with only 206 miles of range. Currently charging and it looks like I will be at 200 when at 100% today. Very strange.
Sponsored