OTA for MME is terrible

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
They spent lots of time adding the useless features such as calculator and drawing app. These kind of apps are useless. Don't waste your time on such useless features, Ford! It is more than 20 years into 21 century and such "feature" can be cool 20 years back, but not now.
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
my issue with this update taking so long is I am on 1.4. PAAK update they said would be OTA in mid 3Q blue cruise 3Q and even looked like early 3Q. Well we are in the 4Q and they are late ok the promises and poor on the communication front.
It rightfully making people wonder if we will really get that many OTA at all.
I would expect all 2021 modes to get their batteries expanded to the larger 2022 levels as that is a software update and if they are doing what they promised we all will get that little expansion.
Gee, I remember the CEO of Tesla stating "soon a Model S will be self driving itself across the country" via 2018 pr statements. Here it is 2021 and there is no evidence a Model S is anywhere close to doing such. Maybe Tesla has laid an egg on their OTA updates for this. Err, owners have stated many updates are just beta software with beta fixes quickly following. Software updates ota are still in growth phases.

Mirak

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Gee, I remember the CEO of Tesla stating "soon a Model S will be self driving itself across the country" via 2018 pr statements. Here it is 2021 and there is no evidence a Model S is anywhere close to doing such. Maybe Tesla has laid an egg on their OTA updates for this. Err, owners have stated many updates are just beta software with beta fixes quickly following. Software updates ota are still in growth phases.
Tesla overselling its autonomous driving tech has nothing to do with OTA updates.

Mirak

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
They spent lots of time adding the useless features such as calculator and drawing app. These kind of apps are useless. Don't waste your time on such useless features, Ford! It is more than 20 years into 21 century and such "feature" can be cool 20 years back, but not now.
I doubt Ford spent much time on these things. But I take your point. They’re useless “enhancements” that only call more attention to the omission thusfar of useful enhancements.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
my issue with this update taking so long is I am on 1.4. PAAK update they said would be OTA in mid 3Q blue cruise 3Q and even looked like early 3Q. Well we are in the 4Q and they are late ok the promises and poor on the communication front.
It rightfully making people wonder if we will really get that many OTA at all.
I would expect all 2021 modes to get their batteries expanded to the larger 2022 levels as that is a software update and if they are doing what they promised we all will get that little expansion.
Honestly, I’m not expecting them to give 2021 models access to more of the battery.

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They're rolling out the OTAs to vehicles at different rates. Not everyone gets it immediately. I imagine this'll change over time, but we're still within the first year of this car existing. Tesla has years on Ford software wise, so of course their system is smoother.

You're an early adopter of something; you should expect things to have bumps in the road like the Mach-E's software does.
Hard disagree. And so would Apple.

Eventually, regardless what’s causing it, a manufacturer who provides benefits, features, and services to some, while denying them to others is going to pay a price. If the MME gets a reputation for only delivering its features to some, this car will eventually tank.

Last edited:

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Honestly, I’m not expecting them to give 2021 models access to more of the battery.
And that should be one Ford is held to the fire on and everyone should make a point of questioning the thing on software updates. That os a software change and if Ford is really going to promise good updates during the life of the car giving a little extra range is a good thing and is a lot of good PR. It cost them nothing.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
OTA isn't a chip hold problem, a truck driver problem or a supply problem. It's a Ford problem. It was promised as a useful feature. There are plenty of little issues with the car that could easily be fixed with software updates. maybe next year?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I didn't read this whole thread, but I do have some similar concerns, but not to OPs degree. My Premium AWD EXT MME was built in July 21 and it still says "System Up to Date", so I haven't received an update since I got it, should I expect one soon? I've got scheduled installs turned on like it says in the manual and it's on WiFI at Home, just making sure I'm doing everything right to get them.

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
Hard disagree. When they release to a small group of vehicles to verify that it’s working as expected, the remainder of vehicles should receive toe update within 3-7 days. And that hasn’t happened one single time yet. There is no legitimate reason to roll ota updates to small groups.
The software is pretty clunky. I mean, it's not rocket science. I feel like I'm using Windows ME in the era of Windows 11. I get that it's "new" and that we're "early adopters", but in 2021, their handling of software and OTA is just... bad. Terrible. Awful. They should have dedicated teams working day and night to refine the software, while listening to customer complaints. To be honest, I'm not too sure how it even made it into production in its current form. I feel like the hardware is there, and it can be so much better if they put in a genuine effort.

Also, I get the rollout in groups thing, but we should be able to opt-in to early releases. Windows and Mac has the Dev and Beta channels, Tesla has the Beta Testers, etc. For example, I've been part of the Ford Early Access program since July, and I have yet to receive a SINGLE update.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Also, I get the rollout in groups thing, but we should be able to opt-in to early releases. Windows and Mac has the Dev and Beta channels, Tesla has the Beta Testers, etc. For example, I've been part of the Ford Early Access program since July, and I have yet to receive a SINGLE update.
same. early means nothing apparently. anyway, this is a marketing missed opportunity for them if nothing else.. they don't seem to be understanding this new age of hi tech cars. yes right now sales are more than they can deliver, but that won't always be the case. 2022-23 is looking good for all sorts of electric competition. we'll see what happens.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I didn't read this whole thread, but I do have some similar concerns, but not to OPs degree. My Premium AWD EXT MME was built in July 21 and it still says "System Up to Date", so I haven't received an update since I got it, should I expect one soon? I've got scheduled installs turned on like it says in the manual and it's on WiFI at Home, just making sure I'm doing everything right to get them.
We’ve had ours for 3 months and only one update so far. How is my Wife’s car doing? Lol

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
The software is pretty clunky. I mean, it's not rocket science. I feel like I'm using Windows ME in the era of Windows 11...
The phrase, "it's not rocket science" always makes me laugh.

As a literal spacecraft scientist, I don't think I would ever feel comfortable sharing our code with critics like those on these kinds of forums. The only thing that usually-but-not-always works almost perfectly is the ability of a spacecraft to go into "safe" mode whereby it can contact Earth and tell us that it's having trouble (and that's not 100%; several spacecraft have encountered post-launch anomalies that weren't properly accommodated). Everything else is a hack that's taken from a previous hack from an almost totally different spacecraft with a similar but not quite identical FPGA.

Our OTA updates are tested on an engineering model that doesn't perfectly match the flight model, hasn't experienced the radiation dosage of the flight model, doesn't exist in the same environment, and simply is close but not exact. Some instruments don't have engineering models so we test their updates in a software simulator that is likely buggy and certainly hasn't accounted for any sort of random failures that real hardware experiences.

We're almost always flying by the seat of our pants. Rocket science is hard not because the maths are hard, but because we are almost always underfunded and working with very old hardware and under some extreme time constraints. We're not even using "Windows ME in the era of Windows 11..." We're using VxWorks, our version of which hasn't changed substantively since 1990. But, despite that, we still build cars that drive on Mars for 10 to 100 times longer than their "warranty" promised.

I don't have my Mustang yet, so I don't have an opinion about OTAs from Ford, but I'm willing to bet that Ford's nature as a capitalist corporation in a shareholder world means that their (relatively new) software development team is also operating under less-than-ideal funding and time constraints. I would also be willing to bet that most of the software that Ford is running also runs on an embedded RTOS similar to VxWorks (it looks like they are part of the AutoSAR and OSEK consortiums). The tablet interface we see is (in one sense) the least important component of the vehicle's software.

Also, they're hiring...

https://fordcareers.dejobs.org/dear...ngineer/f3297d0256104e2a91ef10a6f58e455a/job/
Sponsored