kulaga

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium ER Grey, 2023 MME GT Black
Country flag
Any recommendations on a setup for a freestanding L2 charger at the end of my driveway?

I have a driveway that's shaped almost like an L, with a slight turn to the garage and space to pull in straight and park 2 cars outside. I'm very happy with my "dumb" Grizzl-e charger in the garage. But, it seems like there's always some project going on in the garage (or out of control mess) and I usually end up backing into the driveway and parking near the garage door to charge, leaving space for our other car in the driveway.

Now that I've added a 2nd Mach-e to the family, I'm guessing there will be way too much repositioning going on. I want to avoid dealing with a super long charging cord. I'm thinking it would be great to get a 2nd L2 charge at the end of the driveway. It's actually a shorter run than the garage hookup, a straight shot from the electrical box, through some grass. Looking for something unobtrusive since it will be visible from our quiet residential street and want it to fade into the landscaping.

Thought I'd see if anyone else came up with a good solution before consulting Dr. Google.
Sponsored

glenthompson

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT Star White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If I were doing it I would drop a 4x4 post in the ground, build a small lean-to type structure to house the charger and provide some protection. Most ESVEs are designed for outdoor use but always nice to provide some cover.

Running the power will require some work as the cable needs to be buried some depth depending on the type of conduit - check your local electric codes. Decision at the post is whether to go with a 14-50R receptacle for a plug-in charger or a box for hardwiring. If you plan to be in the house for some time I would go hard-wired.

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
OP
OP
kulaga

kulaga

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks both of you! I like the metal bracket from the This Old House example. I just assumed there were products out there to provide some protection to the charger and cord. Will probably need to figure out a custom cabinet or top and side shelter. I know they're outdoor-rated but want to provide some protection from the elements.

Found a Harvard page with some photos, but no details: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/electric-cars/aesthetic-outdoor-home-charging-stations/

glenthompson

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT Star White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I remember watching that Old House episode. The charger they installed was a Tesla charger. Since you're in Cleveland one concern I would have is snow & ice. That's the main reason to provide some protection. Don't want your charger iced up.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Thanks both of you! I like the metal bracket from the This Old House example. I just assumed there were products out there to provide some protection to the charger and cord. Will probably need to figure out a custom cabinet or top and side shelter. I know they're outdoor-rated but want to provide some protection from the elements.

Found a Harvard page with some photos, but no details: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/electric-cars/aesthetic-outdoor-home-charging-stations/
Some of those enclosures don't appear to have any kind of venting. Even with the door open, the EVSE may get too hot if there's no air flow. If you choose to put it in a box of some sort, I'd make sure to protect it both from weather and from overheating by providing some kind of filtered air flow. You probably don't need a fan, but you do probably need to provide an air gap all around the EVSE as well as an opening below and above the EVSE.

OP
OP
kulaga

kulaga

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I remember watching that Old House episode. The charger they installed was a Tesla charger. Since you're in Cleveland one concern I would have is snow & ice. That's the main reason to provide some protection. Don't want your charger iced up.

Definitely! Your post reminded me, it needs to be far enough back to avoid the snow pile from plowing. Maybe something like this (scaled way down to a single pole, 2 ft high, just large enough for charger:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Outdoor freestanding L2 setups? 1

Now to find a woodworker!

slimothyjames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
Some people love hardwiring their EVSE but IMO I would go with installing the outdoor 240V receptacle on a sheltered post with room to install a charger and plug it in.

Reasoning is, if you ever go on a long vacation, it's easy to remove the charger if you're afraid of theft. Also if the EVSE has any issues/fails you can easily swap it out for a new unit. I've had an issue in the past and it was just easier for me to order a new charger and return the old one (same model) versus the warranty process of shipping my unit in, then they ship me a new one or they send someone to come fix it.
Sponsored