mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
My charger is going to be outside and I plan on using a 14-50 plug. I bought an outdoor 14-50 outlet.

The ground is up, which is normal. But my chargepoint flex wants the plug inserted so the cord goes up. But with the enclosed outdoor housing for the 14-50, having the cable go up is a bit problematic.

What are other folks doing with outdoor 14-50 outlets?

Thanks.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Outdoor 14-50 question 7FA33482-8FA2-41C6-8BD1-71C4EA5C9296
Sponsored

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
The reason the ground pin is up is for safety. If the plug is partially inserted and someone drops a metallic object it will not hit a power pin. Neutral up is just as safe. This was explained to me by the inspector. He said it is not required to be ground up. In your case it is impossible to drop something in there.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The reason the ground pin is up is for safety. If the plug is partially inserted and someone drops a metallic object it will not hit a power pin. Neutral up is just as safe. This was explained to me by the inspector. He said it is not required to be ground up. In your case it is impossible to drop something in there.
Yep - that's a favorite argument among electricians. Ground up or ground down.

The opinions can get so heated that the subject is banned on Mike Holt's electrical forum! ?

You are correct - there is no code requirement either way.
Sponsored