Overriding Scheduled Charging

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium RWD ER
Country flag
I'm looking for a logical way to override a current charging schedule. I set my default charge to 85% at home with an 11 PM start time. This works for most purposes, but sometimes I need to charge the car fully, and not on the set schedule. My EVSE is totally "dumb" so the scheduling is controlled entirely by the car.

The FordPass app doesn't provide a clear way to do this. Tapping on "charging details" brings up the "charge to 100%" button, but tapping on it continues to show a charge completion day and time after the programmed schedule time, as does the "charging" bar at the bottom of the screen. Likewise the "charge session" screen doesn't update the distance to empty, estimated finish time, or distance added. But... the car is actually charging, and the only way I've found to confirm this is to tap on "resume schedule." It then updates to show the added miles and charge percent. Then I have to tap on "charge to 100%" again to restart the charging.

Is this just an annoying bug in the app? Can I trust it to work every time even if the charging status info it's giving me is wrong? Or, is there a better way I've missed?
Sponsored

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Change your FordPass charge setup to “charge when plugged in”. This will ignore your schedule.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Charge to 100% always overrides charging schedules. It seems to always work when pressed even if the app doesn't update properly. The app not updating is just a software glitch. For whatever reason the app doesn't always want to pull the latest data from the servers.

I think you can trust it is charging. As a workaround, you can send a lock or unlock command and then pull down to refresh. That usually gets it to update.

OP
OP
Secret Sauce

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Charge to 100% always overrides charging schedules. It seems to always work when pressed even if the app doesn't update properly. The app not updating is just a software glitch. For whatever reason the app doesn't always want to pull the latest data from the servers.

I think you can trust it is charging. As a workaround, you can send a lock or unlock command and then pull down to refresh. That usually gets it to update.
Yeah, I just tried the pull-down to refresh and it showed the current charge level (it had actually finished by then). Didn't require a lock or unlock for this to work. But all along the way it still showed the estimated charge completion time as tomorrow morning. This being a bug or oversight in the software isn't a great confidence builder but at least I think I now know the workaround. BTW I believe canceling the charge session forced a refresh which is why I got an updated status by doing that.

OP
OP
Secret Sauce

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Change your FordPass charge setup to “charge when plugged in”. This will ignore your schedule.
I know this works too, but I was looking for a temporary override. This setting you have to remember to change back before plugging in again, and I don't trust my brain to do that reliably anymore!

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I know this works too, but I was looking for a temporary override. This setting you have to remember to change back before plugging in again, and I don't trust my brain to do that reliably anymore!
In your home say “google- timer 5 hours”. Just kidding.

HammerStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I'm also looking for instruction on a temporary override to the schedule charging. 90% of the time I charge at home with schedule set to charge only between 7pm and 7am for lower pricing. If I happen to drop into a dealer, or mall with courtesy charging is there a quick way to initiate charging outside of the charging window without deleting, and then rebuilding the programmed charging period.

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
I have net metering with solar panels so my considerations may be different from many others. I set up my 'schedule' to start any time on any day if below 20% and charge to 80%. Once it drops below 20%, I plug it in when I get home and use the Prius if I need to use a car in the next 6 hours or so.

OP
OP
Secret Sauce

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm also looking for instruction on a temporary override to the schedule charging. 90% of the time I charge at home with schedule set to charge only between 7pm and 7am for lower pricing. If I happen to drop into a dealer, or mall with courtesy charging is there a quick way to initiate charging outside of the charging window without deleting, and then rebuilding the programmed charging period.
Yes, as I figured out, tapping on "charge details" then "charge to 100%" works to override the limits you set in the schedule. The app just doesn't give you any immediate feedback that it has worked. Also, if you set up charge locations the schedule you created for home charging should not apply when you are elsewhere. I have not tried this myself, but I presume it works.
Sponsored