machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I think you mean "Unfortunately, paint companies haven't found a good way of making high performance paint that isn't harmful to our ecosystem and particularly us humans, as a species." ... but I digress.

Yeah, my Mach-E looked like you might have expected it to look... like it had been bathing in a heavy pollution environment for a couple months (Mexico City), then hauled across the continent in the middle of winter, and finally dragged through a low-cost automatic car wash (all the shiny black plastic wasn't so shiny with lots of microscratches, especially the B-pillars and mirror pods). There were water spots all over it from either Ford, the transit, or the dealer using crappy water. It took me about 6-8 hours of polishing to get the paint and plastics back to shiny and then I put ceramic on everything. I will be applying PPF in the next couple weeks to help with rock chips.

It's not perfect, but it's almost back to where I would've expected a new car to be in the first place. It didn't help that I took delivery in the rain and couldn't tell that it needed a full day of detailing...
Covering the plastic plastic in PPF makes the micro sctraches disappear.

I can no longer see them, it's like magic.
Sponsored

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I'm generalizing here but I have found that newer cars are easily chipped or get swirl marks from a car wash than older pre-2010 cars.

Would be good to know if MME is similar to other newly designed cars (Telsa, Bronco Sport, etc. ) or if it's extra "soft" paint on the MME. From my experience, white does show chips more than darker colors.

Sucks that it happened so quickly for you. On my plug Pacifica, I got a rock chip both on the hood and windshield from a truck 2 months into owning. Annoys me still as I see it but I did do touch-up to avoid rust and on the windshield, filled in the tiny chip.
Somewhere around 2007 the EPA began “encouraging” manufacturers to move away from solvent borne paint systems to water borne paint systems. These seemed to be thinner coats with less adhesion. You could be seeing this in the real world as production moves from one to the other.