21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
My municipally-owned utility charges about $0.135/kWh; and even driving in winter I get around 2.7 mi/kWh.
That works out to $5/100mi for me in winter, and just over $4 when it's warmer.
I love the hedgehog in your pic.
Sponsored

OP
OP
D’Roc

D’Roc

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E SR eAWD
Occupation
Program Manager
Country flag
I just drove my mother’s ICE (2010 PT Cruiser) to her in FL.
692.5 miles, $93.74 in gas.
Average MPG: 24.2
$13.54/100 miles if my math is correct.
$3.27/gallon average gas price (I-95 corridor).

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
For those of you paying over $0.15/kWh, its time to get a big ass Tesla solar system installed ASAP! I'm about to pull the trigger on 12.4kW for under $20k after rebate. I might bump it to 14kW since I have net metering and the ROI on selling any extra isn't bad.

JoeBeach

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium 2WD ER, F150
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I drove my 2019 F150 325 miles from central Florida to SW Georgia. I filled before I left and at $2.16/gal, (yes, I know very low but its now under $2.00/gal in that town in some places) the fill up at the end was $40.00. If I could magically make it all of the 325 miles on a 100% charge it would cost me $14.00 (0.14/kwh home charge). The kicker is that I have to charge one time somewhere in the middle and DFC might be expensive, but probably not $26.00 since i would not need a full charge.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
This report is garbage. They include opportunity cost for waiting to charge at DCFC. I wonder if these folks have ever tried to gas up at Costco an an evening. There is a long reddit thread that fully dismantles this here:

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
For those of you paying over $0.15/kWh, its time to get a big ass Tesla solar system installed ASAP! I'm about to pull the trigger on 12.4kW for under $20k after rebate. I might bump it to 14kW since I have net metering and the ROI on selling any extra isn't bad.
Are you sure it's not a lease? If it is, run away.

WSoxFan22

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E
Country flag
I was going to place (probably flawed) in front of Study in the title of this thread. But the Anderson Economic Group has determined the average cost to charge an EV, AT HOME, in order to drive 100 miles is $11.60 compared to $11.29 for gasoline for an ICE vehicle.
ICE fueling costs fall below price of EV charging in the midrange segment, study says
I don’t know about the rest of you, but my mi/kWh average over the last 5,000 miles was 3.1 which would make my charging at home cost $3.83. Adding in the expense of my 4+ year old L2 which I’ve used for ~ 50k EV miles still only adds $0.20 to the above.
Does anyone on this forum pay $11.60 in electric and related costs to go 100 miles?!?
Actually just looked at this today. I'm paying about $7.80 for a full charge (75KW) which is netting me about 150 miles in the winter and about 280 in the summer. I live outside of Chicago. Gas is $4 a gallon. I'll go ahead and say I'm coming out well ahead and that this study must be using some high-priced-eltricity - areas.

Fast chargers are certainly comparable to gas prices, but if you can charge at home this study is complete nonsense.

Bodyshopguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e GT/2020 BMW 750iM/60 Vette/12 Wrangler
Occupation
Collision Center(s) Owner
Country flag
I was going to place (probably flawed) in front of Study in the title of this thread. But the Anderson Economic Group has determined the average cost to charge an EV, AT HOME, in order to drive 100 miles is $11.60 compared to $11.29 for gasoline for an ICE vehicle.
ICE fueling costs fall below price of EV charging in the midrange segment, study says
I don’t know about the rest of you, but my mi/kWh average over the last 5,000 miles was 3.1 which would make my charging at home cost $3.83. Adding in the expense of my 4+ year old L2 which I’ve used for ~ 50k EV miles still only adds $0.20 to the above.
Does anyone on this forum pay $11.60 in electric and related costs to go 100 miles?!?
Fuel is much for expensive in Southern California... Some people use their solar panels to charge their cars... but, for me, Electric cars have less moving parts... the Mach E is virtually maintenance free.... Rotate and/or replace the tire... That's it... no belts, no oil changes, nothing... just drive it. I want to say it's about $ 30.00 to get to 80%... on my 22 MME GT PE ... roughly 150 miles... but, my girlfriend uses a free charger next to her work... so, there is no cost... win win

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium awd ext. batt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Consider yourself lucky and blessed. In the northeast, there's no such thing as "offpeak" rates. We pay 24 cents/kwh all year long.
Not in Vermont. Green Mountain Power is .143 off peak 9pm to 1pm

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
Are you sure it's not a lease? If it is, run away.
Nope, it's a straight up purchase of $27,500 before the 30% federal tax rebate. $2.30/watt. Only thing I'm not crazy about is that Tesla keeps SREC's forever. From what I know, those phase out/go down over time anyways, and Tesla is providing an additional upfront discount on the purchase price in exchange for the SRECs. Other two bids I got so far from local companies were $41,500 and $49,000, and this was *after* I told them I had a quote from Tesla for under $30k. So I assume they were bringing their best offer.

VegasWeezy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium MME ER RWD in Space White
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
In Las Vegas, my most recent statement put my energy cost at $0.16476/kWh. At 3.24mi/kWh, I'm paying $5.09 per 100 miles.

My wife's 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe is getting 24.2mpg and the last gas price I saw was $3.39, which puts her cost per 100 miles at $14.05. There's no comparison here.

The energy cost is still fairly low compared to other places, but it's kinda sickening to think that in July 2021 that price per kWh was significantly less at $0.1044... that's a 57.8% increase in 18 months.

Last edited:

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
In Las Vegas, my most recent statement put my energy cost at $0.16476/kWh. At 3.24mi/kWh, I'm paying $5.09 per 100 miles.

My wife's 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe is getting 24.2mpg and the last gas price I saw was $3.39, which puts her cost per 100 miles at $14.05. There's no comparison here.

The energy cost is still fairly low compared to other places, but it's kinda sickening to think that in July 2021 that price per kWh was significantly less at $0.1044... that's a 63.4% increase in 18 months.
Shop suppliers. I just lowered my rate from $0.14612 to $0.1039 with a 33 month lock, no fees, cancel/switch anytime, etc. That shaves over $40/month off my bill even in winter, more in summer(at least until my solar gets installed).

My cost to drive 100 miles in winter is $3.82
Energy cost $0.1472 (including distribution charge)
260wH/m or 3.85m/kWh average since December 2022 purchase, so ALL cold weather driving.
Summertime should drop that to about $3, although I hope to have solar up and running by then. :)

The Kia has a lifetime average of about 3.6m/kWh which includes last summers driving.
So $4.09/100 miles lifetime.
My guess for winter only driving is 3.2m/kWh which would be $4.60. Actually, this number is probably significantly lower as we've gotten A LOT of free charging. We made a 400 mile weekly round trip commute with free DC fast charging for several months!

Based on my cost of $3.82 compared to the ICE car cost in the article, I thought of a new title for the article:

WOW ICE CARS 300% MORE EXPENSIVE TO FUEL THEN EV'S!!!!!

Last edited:

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e Premium standard range awd
Occupation
USPS Letter Carrier
Country flag
Even in winter with the GT, say, 2.4mi/kWh, and with extra cost for inefficiencies in charging around 10%, it costs around $1.60 to travel 50 miles. That would easily be over $6+ for premium fuel getting 25mpg, if you could even get that in a GT, you do the math!
Although it may take that first year to pay back the charger, for sure!

Fins160

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE Select C/T Dark Matter Gray
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
$2.45 per 100 miles here in Phoenix. SRP Power is $0.0785 / kWh off-peak. I am getting 3.2mi/kWh in the RWD Select in the winter. Exclusively at-home charging.

MME is our primary family car. I still have a minivan that we use for ~100 miles a month. My gas budget was $350-$400 a month previously (2010 G37 w/ premium gas was $$$), now I am at one partial fill-up per month (<$40) in the minivan and <$13.58 for 554 miles electricity. I figure at this rate, if I somehow keep the car for 10-12 years (how old my cars typically are when I sell them), it will have paid for itself!

CBWilkjr

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I saw this report as well, and I have no idea where they are pulling that number unless they are only focused on using commercial charging stations (and perhaps specifically fast charging). To drive 100 miles would cost me about $1.50 in Georgia using oversight charging rates.
Sponsored