Please help will not charge 240v

y2kprofesor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford Mach-e
Country flag
My Mach E from day one refuses to charge using Ford charger at 240V AC. I got a GRIZZLE charger AC 240V, same issue will not charge and the green light stays steady which means car refuses the charge. The car charges fine with a 110V using ford charger but rejects 240V on both GRIZZLE and Ford charger. I went to my cousin that owns a Tesla and both Ford and Grizzle charger were able to charge the Tesla but not Mach-E. The car refuse the charge at his house with both chargers.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It sounds like an issue with your car, as you've eliminated the other variables. There isn't anything we can do for you; you'll have to take it to a dealer.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Reset by disconnecting the 12 volt battery for a minute. It is like resetting you compute, iphone, WiFi.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The dealer should have a 240v charger on site. Ford requires all EV certified dealer to provide at least two, one for service and one in a customer-facing location. Drive over and plug in to their 240v charger. If it doesn't work you can show the service advisors the problem on site.

OP
OP

y2kprofesor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford Mach-e
Country flag
I drove to the dealer last week and the on side charger works but i believe it is not an ac charger but the dc. Also its a hard wired charger. Both charger I have connect to a 15-40 Nema wall outlet. thank you guys. I wish they had a 15-40 Outlet so i can plug in both chargers and show them the problem. I cant believe they dont have one just in case a customer wants to test a Ford charger that comes with the car.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I drove to the dealer last week and the on side charger works but i believe it is not an ac charger but the dc. Also its a hard wired charger. Both charger I have connect to a 15-40 Nema wall outlet. thank you guys. I wish they had a 15-40 Outlet so i can plug in both chargers and show them the problem. I cant believe they dont have one just in case a customer wants to test a Ford charger that comes with the car.
That's unlikely for a dealer to put in a DC charger, but you can tell the difference because a DC charger's connector is larger and has 2 extra pins at the bottom so you have to fold down the extra flap inside the car's charging port in order to be able to plug it in. So, if you were paying attention when you charged there you would definitely know

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag

Its not likely to be DC, did it have the huge CCS connector below the 1772 that everything has (you have to unfold the flap in the MME charger)

If not, its AC, you may have an issue with your wiring or its an issue with the car, port or charger.

IF the charger at the dealer was not the big DC plug and just the regular plug like you have on your chargers then the problem seems to be at your home. Likely the wiring for the recepticle is wrong. Possibly a ground and hot reversed.

If you have a multimeter, I can give you the basics to check.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Its not likely to be DC, did it have the huge CCS connector below the 1772 that everything has (you have to unfold the flap in the MME charger)

If not, its AC, you may have an issue with your wiring or its an issue with the car, port or charger.

IF the charger at the dealer was not the big DC plug and just the regular plug like you have on your chargers then the problem seems to be at your home. Likely the wiring for the recepticle is wrong. Possibly a ground and hot reversed.

If you have a multimeter, I can give you the basics to check.
He previously stated that he took his two EVSEs to another location where they both successfully charged a different car, but would not charge his MME. The problem has to be in the car.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The other home is a relative, there may be an issue with that outlet too. Some EVSE (the charge cord) and other EVs might "work" but with different requirements for a ground or neutral wire.

I think the next step is to have an electrician come in to look at your 240 outlet while showing him (or her) the Ford Charge cord (also called the EVSE) so they can see its requirements first hand. It still might be just a home wiring problem.

Could also still be the car (did you check for that software update for L2 charging with your dealer? posted above by @Mach-Lee ), bad MME module, or a bad Ford EVSE charge cord. My money is on the home outlet, or wasn't there another problem, where people were not pushing the plug in far enough (was there something interfering?, I don't remember that one).

Last edited:

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Curious that it would not work at your house or your cousin's house but would work at the dealer.

How far away is your cousin's house?

A while back there was a rash of problems reported with cars not charging on 240v but would charge on 120v ... and what they all had in common is that they were all around Chicago.

Ford discovered the electric utility company was delivering power that was technically out of spec (it was not within 5% +/- of 240v). They did a software update to the car that allowed to it to be a bit more tolerant of out-of-spec power.

But this makes me wonder if you and your cousin are getting some wonky power and maybe the dealer isn't??

If you had a volt-meter it would be really easy to check.

As for the dealer's charger ... very few have a DC charger -- but maybe they do. DC charging requires that you flip down the little flap exposing the two extra pins for the DC charger. If you could plug in without flipping that down... then you were using AC charging.

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
He previously stated that he took his two EVSEs to another location where they both successfully charged a different car, but would not charge his MME. The problem has to be in the car.
I must have read it too fast I saw he took the chargers to the other location and it charged the Tesla, I missed the mustang not charging there.

I don’t know much about voltage before the transformer, but I suppose if it’s too high, too low or an artificial sine wave it would really stand out at 240 and cause issues.

OP, when you connect the car do the shudders open and close or doesthe Contactor on the evse never close (loud click)?
The dealership is likely on 3phase and not true 240/220 likely 208 which if the power company is delivering too high of voltage might actually be 240.

min overthinking this. It’s probably either too high or low of voltage (multimeter to test the outlet, voltage and possibly frequency but it would be absurdfor the frequency to be out of spec) or the charger on the car is faulty in some way. The dealer wrinkle is the odd part.

OP
OP

y2kprofesor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford Mach-e
Country flag
Thank you guys and yes the charger at the dealer is AC charger no need to pull open the flap. Ok so i will get a volt-meter and how would you check if the wiring is not flipped? next step is an electrician.

OP
OP

y2kprofesor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford Mach-e
Country flag
Next step is an Electrician but the dealer told me if if now getting the full 240V the car battery will now take charge.

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
Next step is an Electrician but the dealer told me if if now getting the full 240V the car battery will now take charge.
so with the multimeter you should get 120 between either hot and ground as well as either hot and neutral. And 240 +- 2 between the 2 hots. The hots are the long strait contacts opposite each other. So ground and neutral should be too and bottom and hots should be on the left and right.

for educational purposes:

In the US we use a center tapped 240v transformer. So to get 120 the neutral is in the middle of the transformer. So a 120 circuit is a hot and a neutral (neutral and ground are bonded at the first means of disconnect which is why you can use the meter to confirm 120 to ground, but you don’t want an actual load on ground), a 240 circuit is just 2 hots, both ends of the transformer. In most if not all evse (when connected to 240) the neutral is not used.
Sponsored