Plug in to maintain 12V battery

meyousikmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black MME GT
Country flag
I've gotten this message in the FordPass app twice over the last few days, and a few other times over the last few months. One time in particular, the car was never even unplugged because it was not driven at all that day. How could the 12V possibly be low when the car was not even unplugged for the entire day?

Has anyone else seen this behavior in the FordPass app? Nothing abnormal with the car itself so I am thinking this is just an issue with the app, but I still get a little nervous every time I see the message with the HVBJB issues going on.

Am I an HVBJBchondriac?
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Fordā€™s message is so dumb. The act of charging the High Voltage battery has no bearing on charging the 12V battery, except in the case of the HV battery being in a low State of Charge. The HV battery is used by the car to charge the 12V battery under normal circumstances. The car does not need to be plugged into an L2 charger in order for this to happen (unless the HV battery is low on charge). šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©

If you have an OBD II reader, you can get your 12V battery information. This would tell you if the FP app is throwing false alarms. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I've gotten this message in the FordPass app twice over the last few days, and a few other times over the last few months. One time in particular, the car was never even unplugged because it was not driven at all that day. How could the 12V possibly be low when the car was not even unplugged for the entire day?

Has anyone else seen this behavior in the FordPass app? Nothing abnormal with the car itself so I am thinking this is just an issue with the app, but I still get a little nervous every time I see the message with the HVBJB issues going on.
First, understand that the 12V battery is only charged while the high voltage battery is actively charging. Once the car is done charging, it goes to sleep and the 12V battery would drain, even if still plugged in. The J1772 cable is not a trickle charger.

Second, that message in FordPass is dumb, poorly written (not factually correct), and triggered at the wrong time (you should only see it if the car is down to like 10% battery and unplugged). The people at Ford that wrote it don't understand how the 12V charging actually works. The message does mean there is probably some kind of 12V drain, but that's it.

For ideas on what may be causing your 12V drain, see this topic: Thread 'How to Recondition/Service Your 12V Battery'

OP
OP

meyousikmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black MME GT
Country flag
So it sounds like this is likely an issue with the FordPass app and not the car. Appreciate the info and the reassurance.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag

Am I an HVBJBchondriac?
I had the non-information which I just ignored.

Donā€™t worry too much.

So long as the HV battery has some charge, and I wouldnā€™t usually leave it in garage parked with less that 20% or when I need the car itā€™d be virtually useless to me, the 12v will charge.

I wouldnā€™t get concerned with all the 12v battery technology and it you felt the need to work at ā€œreconditioningā€ it in any way whatsoever inc de-sulphating which Iā€™m not even sure is a long terms solution if at all, just have it renewed.

HV battery charges whether carā€™s on or off, whether HV is charging or not.

It just has to be this way!
Sponsored