Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium LR-RWD
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
I thought I'd share a video I made about our recent 1,500 mile road trip from Portland, OR to Copperopolis, CA and back (with some more driving around Lodi, etc.). The video pretty much tells it all, but the main take away is the Mach-E is terrific, but the charging infrastructure is getting worse...

If you're really bored, check out a similar road trip we took just a year previous, where the Mach-E again was terrific, but the charging infrastructure seemed to be working a lot better (at least at the locations we hit). It's a long video, but it makes an interesting contrast...not just in results, but in the overall tone of the trip.

We still have confidence it will get better, but I'm still thinking the next couple (few?) years are going to be a little painful for EV road trippers.

Cheers! :cool:
Sponsored

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD, ER,06 Duramax,16 Acadia Denali
Country flag
Once again fantastic video! I watched your first one while waiting to find my Mach E, and now watching this second one with mine sitting in the garage. You do a great job of editing and narrating without going overboard on talking.

I have admittedly only done one "road trip" in mine since buying it as it serves as my "commuter car" for a roughly 60 mile/day round trip to work. That road trip was detailed in my post here but definitely pushed my conform zone a little with arriving at only 7% SOC. I dealt with some lack of planning (100% my fault - but admittedly entered into this trip wanting to treat the EV as close to an ICE to see the experienced difference) which lead to multiple short charges during my work trip. Overall, I've learned a ton over the nearly year of ownership, have never second guessed going EV, and sing the Mach E's praises as much as I can, especially when you have a L2 at home.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Great video, really enjoyed it!

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Doug, both of your videos are great and very well done.

I wanted to comment on the accident you had to stop for on HWY 4. I live in Sonora which is 25 minutes east of Copperopolis and HWY 4. I travel to Sacramento airport at least twice a month and for years used to take that route through Copper and HWY 4 at least 4 times a month going back and forth. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen someone trying to pass without being able to see what was in front of the car in front of them then had to pull back in when it was not safe. In the last 9 months there have been 2 head on collisions on that highway. For the last couple of years, I have no longer taken that route to the airport because of this and also because many times in the winter, HWY 4 gets very thick fog right down to the ground and you cannot see more than a few feet in front of you.

I just want to say, anyone that drives that stretch on HWY 4 from Stockton to Copperopolis to be extremely mindful of others that may try to pass and please keep a large distance between cars.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I thought I'd share a video I made about our recent 1,500 mile road trip from Portland, OR to Copperopolis, CA and back (with some more driving around Lodi, etc.). The video pretty much tells it all, but the main take away is the Mach-E is terrific, but the charging infrastructure is getting worse...

If you're really bored, check out a similar road trip we took just a year previous, where the Mach-E again was terrific, but the charging infrastructure seemed to be working a lot better (at least at the locations we hit). It's a long video, but it makes an interesting contrast...not just in results, but in the overall tone of the trip.

We still have confidence it will get better, but I'm still thinking the next couple (few?) years are going to be a little painful for EV road trippers.

Cheers! :cool:
Nice trip but...we have a GTPE and agree charging it at the pittiful suppliers on trips is a killer. In apr we bought a model Y AWD long range and its our ev for trips everywhere since superchargers are everywhere. So far never a issue traveling PA turnpike in either direction thru NJ Md OH. Keeping at 65mph ac on we are getting 250 miles with 50 left to get to a charger.
At 75 yr old its nice not to plan every charger within a route when we decided to take s 2 day trip. Load and go.

OP
OP
Doug&Julie

Doug&Julie

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
Thank you all for the kind words!

I wanted to comment on the accident you had to stop for on HWY 4. I live in Sonora which is 25 minutes east of Copperopolis and HWY 4. I travel to Sacramento airport at least twice a month and for years used to take that route through Copper and HWY 4 at least 4 times a month going back and forth. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen someone trying to pass without being able to see what was in front of the car in front of them then had to pull back in when it was not safe. In the last 9 months there have been 2 head on collisions on that highway. For the last couple of years, I have no longer taken that route to the airport because of this and also because many times in the winter, HWY 4 gets very thick fog right down to the ground and you cannot see more than a few feet in front of you.

I just want to say, anyone that drives that stretch on HWY 4 from Stockton to Copperopolis to be extremely mindful of others that may try to pass and please keep a large distance between cars.
Small world...my aunt used to live in Sonora! It's a nice town, we always enjoy visiting.

RE: HWY 4...yes, we (my brother, his wife and Julie and I) talked extensively about that highway and how dangerous it is. While I (we) would suggest it's 100% the fault of drivers being stupid, we also agree that something could be done to help. For example, it seems like there is enough land to have an occasional passing lane, even if it's alternating directions. But even on that night of the accident, Julie and I were in a line of about 8-10 cars when a Tesla Model Y tried to pass us all...only to realize (almost too late) that the line was much longer than he anticipated and had to wedge himself back in line. He got a few "you're number 1" fingers along the way...but thankfully that was the worst of it. Well, for him.

My sister-in-law has to take that highway daily to Lodi for her job. She says she sees that behavior all the time. Maybe I'm getting old, but I just don't understand how 10 mph over the speed limit isn't fast enough...

OP
OP
Doug&Julie

Doug&Julie

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
...Overall, I've learned a ton over the nearly year of ownership, have never second guessed going EV, and sing the Mach E's praises as much as I can, especially when you have a L2 at home.
All of this for us, too! Thanks for the kind words.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My sister-in-law has to take that highway daily to Lodi for her job. She says she sees that behavior all the time. Maybe I'm getting old, but I just don't understand how 10 mph over the speed limit isn't fast enough...
Exactly. The speed limit is 55 in some parts, 65 in others and everyone, including myself is usually doing 70-80 and people still want to pass. So stupid. I also agree with you there is so much land on either side of the HWY beings it is out in the middle of nowhere that they could have a few passing lanes in that 40 mile stretch.

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
Interesting video!

We definitely didn't have near these problems or experience in our recent trip from Prince George, BC to San Francisco and back again. 4800km total
Through BC down to Olympia was a breeze, and the 101 had a plethora of options that the biggest issue we found was a card reader that didn't work. tool a few to put money on the app and charge that way.
Coming back on I-5 was very simple as well.

Each day we would put our destination in and let the SYNC pick all the stops. I would double check the picked ones on PlugShare and if it was dicey or broken, we would substitute the stop.

OP
OP
Doug&Julie

Doug&Julie

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
@Mosworthy good stuff. There are a lot of options (and we've had overall good experiences) in the big city areas (Seattle, Portland, San Fran / Sac), but not so much in very southern Oregon and very northern California. Certainly not a "charging desert", but harder to have a substitute, as you describe. We're hoping this infrastructure money fills that area in a little bit more.
Sponsored