TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
On another note, I did scamper over to Tesla-land as the Model Y's price is within proximity. They say that the MME is based on old EV tech. Any validity to that apart from fanboyism response?
I suppose that's a fair way to put it. Not so much old EV tech as older car tech. Many of the components in Ford (and most legacy) EVs is borrowed from their existing gas vehicles. A mix of old and new. Whereas Tesla largely designed everything from scratch. That's part of why you see almost no buttons or knobs or controls in Teslas. Virtually everything is controlled from the center screen. The Y doesn't even have a driver's display (which would drive me up the wall).

Pros and cons to all that. It's part of how Tesla is so successful in getting costs down. Very minimalist interiors. Personally I don't really like that though. I like that Ford EVs have a lot of familiarity to prior Ford's I've owned.

It largely comes down to personal tastes.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Driving between Hope and Hells Gate, the extra power of AWD would be nice to have over the RWD. I took my GT out that way during a weekend in Harrison Hot Springs and it was nice to have extra horsepower for two-lane highway passes. Regardless of the drivetrain, definitely get the ER pack.

As for Tesla vs MME, get the car that makes you want to go for a drive and you can’t help but to look at it when it’s parked in your driveway.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Driving between Hope and Hells Gate, the extra power of AWD would be nice to have over the RWD. I took my GT out that way during a weekend in Harrison Hot Springs and it was nice to have extra horsepower for two-lane highway passes. Regardless of the drivetrain, definitely get the ER pack.

As for Tesla vs MME, get the car that makes you want to go for a drive and you can’t help but to look at it when it’s parked in your driveway.
I've only driven the AWD ER. I know it has more power than I've ever used, even climbing steep Colorado mountain passes. So much extra power than my guess is the RWD would still have enough to climb any mountain pass without struggle. But I don't know for sure. Be curious to hear from others with the RWD if they have any issues on steep climbs.

That's why I have no interest in a GT, because it would be a waste for me to have an even more powerful front motor. That's way more power than I'd ever use. My AWD ER has more power (acceleration) than I've ever had in a vehicle, by a wide margin.

RWD has about 10% more range too, making the need for the ER battery a bit less important. But it really depends on how a person plans to use the car. If doing many long distance road trips, I'd definitely consider the ER.

The price of the ER looks like it's come down, which is good. It was +$5000 when we got ours in 2021. Then it went to +$6000. Now it looks like it's down to +$3000.

AWD has gone up slightly. Was +$2600 IIRC, now +$3000.

OP
OP
Dear_OP

Dear_OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Horse and Wagon

That's a good point, I think the MME and Ioniq5 are two EVs in its class that catch my eyes in a positive way.

I've done the Duffy Lake loop (which I highly recommend!) some years ago. We drove through that stretch Hope --> HG in our "lowly" Mazda6 GT wagon. No problem passing vehicles despite 212hp fully loaded with family and luggage. That said, it weighed 3200lbs. Gearing helps too.

I have no doubt MME like most well performing EVs would be great point and squirt vehicles. Highway overtaking is important for me. I always want to complete overtaking maneuvers as quickly as possible. Therefore 100km/h to 160km/h performance is important.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Would the RWD be more tossable vs AWD? I like the ER, but from my research, it is still using the previous battery tech - NMC vs LFP.
I havent driven a RWD but I would imagine it would be. The car allows you to kick the rear out a bit, even with AWD before it steps in and keeps you from crashing, I have read it is 20% slip allowed. So compared to other EVs I have driven it feels more like a traditional muscle car that you can have fun with. Personally I prefer the AWD, for the small price it is a sizeable power increase, and I would imagine your tires would last longer if you are aggressive. If you really need range then sure RWD but otherwise I would prioritize the AWD.

And I think others mentioned not sure if LFP is truely "new" as it is only used on lower trim cars.

JustBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE, Impala, Santa Fe
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That's a good point, I think the MME and Ioniq5 are two EVs in its class that catch my eyes in a positive way.
The Ionic5 is definitely different, so is the Ionic6. A little too different for me. I think the EV6 is nice looking and was a close 2nd place in my EV search. I still don't see many of those.

As for Tesla, yes they're still the gold standard that all EV's aspire to. I just think there's so many on the road and they all look the same. Not for me. With charging network opening to others, there's going to be less of a gap.

PilotMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Moke, FRS, Prius, FJR, 1966 Shelby Mustang
Country flag
My wife (it's her daily driver) and our long distance car, loves it.
I would only buy and EV if I can charge at home. Really convenient and a lot less cost than DC fast chargers.
There is a significant learning curve owning an EV (any EV) and planning longer distance travel.
Glad we bought it and would it over again too.

I look for reasons to drive the MachE.

We rarely has snow so RWD only for us and no snow tires.

Enjoy the hunt.
Sponsored