Premium ER AWD vs RWD - Am I making a mistake?

WFU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium ER AWD; 2020 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
It’s pretty simple: a 30mi difference in range is almost completely irrelevant, including your particular situation.

The AWD is quicker, more stable, and probably offers better resale value. You just have to decide whether that is worth an extra $2,700 to you.

For me, it definitely was. Ironically, going with the extended range battery encouraged me to go AWD because the acceleration just would have been too sluggish without it. People who have test driven RWD versus AWD extended range MMEs can tell the difference in acceleration.
TITCR.

I have test driven both in extended range (RWD and AWD). My dealer's test vehicle is a RWD ER and I ended up buying an AWD ER.

I'm not a speed junky. I don't particularly care for sports cars. I don't race people off the line. Anyway, you get the idea.

I could EASILY tell the difference in acceleration between the two vehicles. I drove the ER RWD first and it felt fairly quick, but I was somewhat underwhelmed. I drive a Chevy Bolt regularly and the ER RWD felt pretty comparable to the Bolt in terms of acceleration. The main difference is the Bolt feels lighter, while the ER RWD feels more planted. The ER AWD felt much, much quicker.

For what it's worth, the listed 0-60 times for each vehicle are:
Bolt: 6.5
ER RWD: 6.1
ER AWD: 4.8
Sponsored

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I have an AWD Premiem Extended range and I have test driven a Select RWD. For me personally when I ordered my car back in Feb of 2019 extended range to me was a must at that price point 2500 was not not that much more of a cost increase for a lot more power and some better handling in bad weather for those rare ice storms we get here in Texas. Bigger reason more power.

In terms of get up and go the RWD car had some kick to it but the AWD has just a little bit more and is noticeable. I have seen in the wet when the back in kicks out on a turn the front wheel seem to help pull the car back in line.
Now in terms of range loss yeah 30 miles I do not notice that much and do not think it will be an issue. All it meant for me was a few more minutes at a DC fast charge on a long range drive and the real kicker is those 5 extra minutes was time I was going to be sitting there any way. I think disconnected at 78% instead of what might of 80% if I was RWD only.

Boils down to it do not stress about the range. Do you want AWD or do you not. That all it boils down to is for AWD is it worth 2700 to you which is about a 5% increase in price. For me the answer was yes it was.

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
TITCR.

I have test driven both in extended range (RWD and AWD). My dealer's test vehicle is a RWD ER and I ended up buying an AWD ER.

I'm not a speed junky. I don't particularly care for sports cars. I don't race people off the line. Anyway, you get the idea.

I could EASILY tell the difference in acceleration between the two vehicles. I drove the ER RWD first and it felt fairly quick, but I was somewhat underwhelmed. I drive a Chevy Bolt regularly and the ER RWD felt pretty comparable to the Bolt in terms of acceleration. The main difference is the Bolt feels lighter, while the ER RWD feels more planted. The ER AWD felt much, much quicker.

For what it's worth, the listed 0-60 times for each vehicle are:
Bolt: 6.5
ER RWD: 6.1
ER AWD: 4.8
I ultimately went with an ER AWD for this same reason. The speed and better safety of the AWD kind of won me over. I knew I would have regretted not getting the AWD as well, as I was comparing it directly with a Tesla MY. I don't feel like a compromised with the MME at all going the direction I did and ended up really happy. This weekends road trip nailed it for me.
Likewise the range for the ER AWD has been good enough. Especially considering my road trips are basically DC to the Hampton Roads area of Virginia on occasion.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I drove a 1997 2 door Nissan 200sx for 4 Chicago winters, parked on the street, and never had a problem on the road once. I didn’t even know what snow tires were back then haha. I think the need for AWD might be being blown a tad out of proportion ?
Well, for starters, a ‘97 200SX had what, 115Hp? 140Hp if it was an SE-R. And FWD too, so not quite the same as insta- torque EV RWD with over double the HP/TQ output.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you haven't gotten it yet I would also suggest the AWD. I have an AWD ER and have driven it on a few 250 mile day trips and had about 60 miles left in the battery. This was in warm weather with AC running and using OPD with ACC.

intoMME

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD Select w/Tech Pkg. Infinity Blue
Country flag
I just bought the AWD with standard battery. What I noticed with AWD is that the acceleration is much better and the traction when accelerating around a turn is nicer. The RWD made the tires squeal quite a bit around fast turns, while the AWD just soaks it up with no tire complaints. I have never driven far enough to have range anxiety. 100 mile drive from the dealer I bought it from, with 55% left when I got home. I use a level 2 charger at home, so it gets topped off to 90% overnight. I could not get an answer from the Ford dealer as to whether or not it is okay to routinely charge to 100%. Seems stupid to not be able to do that without issues, but until I get a straight answer, I'll do it to 90%. The local dealer really knows nothing about the car.

BFaulkner

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME, 2019 Audi A5, 2013 BMW 550i
Occupation
General Manager
Country flag
I’ve wanted an EV for a long time and always loved the Model S, but I’ve been in quite a number of them and hated the wind noise.

When I test drove the Mach e, holy smokes - wind and road noise are amazing even going 80 on the highway. I’ve been searching for a while and finally found a dealer with no markup and am scheduled to pick it up today.

My dilemma - it’s an AWD not RWD. Being my first EV I understandably have range anxiety. My commute is about 35 miles highway and I do drive for work, most I’ve done in a day is about 150 miles (very rare). I live in Southern California and in my current ICE I keep the AC on 2 or 3 all the time and drive about 75/80 on the freeway. My commute is also the 73 toll road, which is hilly.

I do plan on getting a level 2, 40amp breaker/32 amp charger installed so I’m pretty sure I can charge to full every night.

Am I going to miss those 30 miles between AWD and RWD? I see most people saying you’re only supposed to charge to 80% (i though MME already only had access to 80% of the battery so can’t I just charge to 100% everyday with no adverse effects?) which would cut my range from 270 to 216. With my speed, AC use and terrain on the drive, I feel I’ll only really get 140/150 out of a full 80%, but I don’t know for sure.

I just see so many posts of awesome range but you have to drive 65/70 and very minimal AC use with flatter terrain.

Also, I feel AWD is nice for resale value, but I’m wondering if people would prefer seeing a 300 mile range milestone rather than AWD at 270. This one’s hard to predict but something on my mind. Does it make a difference for equivalent Teslas?

What are your thoughts? Am I overthinking this? I have had second thoughts all night and this morning and the anxiety is killing me. I’ve just never owned an EV and it’s hard to really calculate how it’ll be in real world. I’d definitely love the power of AWD, as that’s what I test drove too, but know I don’t really NEED AWD for my location. Though showing off the power to friends in rides will be nice, but obviously not important.

Thanks so much!
I have a FD AWD MME and have not had a problem with range. In the beginning, I also had some range anxiety but it subsided pretty quickly. I have a level 2 charger installed at home and only charge it 2 or maybe 3 nights a week and I'm only charging it to 90% most of the time. It's been a good car that I've enjoyed driving. I'm glad I went with the AWD.
Sponsored