Pretty Bad Crackling Noise

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E - SR-AWD - Star White
Country flag
Hi All,

I get this noise on my MME, more or less after every journey. Quite random.

This happened last year in the winter, but never happens in the summer.

The noise happens whether I'm charging or not, mainly I hear it after the first drive of the morning.

I am aware of the other crackling thread that comes from the carā€™s internal ICE speakers, but this noise sounds to me like the low speed sounder speaker...you know the noise the car makes at slow speed up to 30 MPH to let people know it's electric.

Does anyone know the location of said sounder?

Any help with this would be appreciated.....I did take it to the dealer last year, but typically, they couldn't get it to do it....as it is random.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ProximusAl

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Your car is radioactive.
Unfortunately Iā€™m not holding a Geiger counter šŸ˜«

Seriously starting to hiss me off not knowing what it isā€¦.

Car is perfect otherwiseā€¦

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I do believe the pedestrian speaker is up front but why would it make a noise while the vehicle is off? Of course why is it making that noise at all! Sorry but no advice as I have never heard anything like that.

OP
OP
ProximusAl

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So Iā€™m backā€¦.with the same issueā€¦but this timeā€¦itā€™s seems to happen every single time.

I get this noise every time I approach the car now..

Hereā€™s the things Iā€™ve learnedā€¦.

it always stops after about 10-15 minutes from starting.
it immediately stops when I engage D, for drive mode. (Yes, it continues after starting the car)
it starts when I start an AC chargeā€¦only noticed it because I went out for fireworks at midnight and itā€™s cracking away as my charge started at midnight. Went out 10-15 minutes later and itā€™s charging fine with no noise.

I know ultimately Iā€™m going to have to have a dealer look at thisā€¦but in the UK they are all generally as thick as pig #h#t. Iā€™m convinced this is a fault with a speaker of some sort.

OP
OP
ProximusAl

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does anyone here have access to PTS to find out the location of part LJ8T-19J215-AB

If I could find out where it isā€¦or how to get to itā€¦I could replace it myself to find out.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Does anyone here have access to PTS to find out the location of part LJ8T-19J215-AB

If I could find out where it isā€¦or how to get to itā€¦I could replace it myself to find out.
I don't have PTS but this is from parts.ford.com for my vehicle's VIN, showing equivalent part # LJ8Z18808G:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Pretty Bad Crackling Noise Screenshot_20240101-083504

That said, I think you are having a problem with the audio system's DSP module.

I had the internal speaker version of this issue through ALL of the speakers. It was quite painful. I was able to resolve it by switching to the FM radio source. For some reason that caused the DSP to reset (it was silent for a few seconds) and then it resumed with normal audio. The next thing I would have tried is to pull and reset the DSP related fuse(s).

OP
OP
ProximusAl

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't have PTS but this is from parts.ford.com for my vehicle's VIN, showing equivalent part # LJ8Z18808G:

Screenshot_20240101-083504.png

That said, I think you are having a problem with the audio system's DSP module.

I had the internal speaker version of this issue through ALL of the speakers. It was quite painful. I was able to resolve it by switching to the FM radio source. For some reason that caused the DSP to reset (it was silent for a few seconds) and then it resumed with normal audio. The next thing I would have tried is to pull and reset the DSP related fuse(s).
Thanksā€¦that diagram is helpful.

I honestly donā€™t believe itā€™s the DSP. Iā€™ve tried your trick of FM mode, that doesnā€™t do anything to stop it.

Itā€™s 100% coming from 18808B in your diagramā€¦.the noise. I think itā€™s either that or the actual module that controls it.

Iā€™ll pop my VIN in to the parts site and see.

If I get a chance tomorrow Iā€™ll pull the LVB -ve off for 10 minutes on the whole car.

EDIT: parts.ford.com is US only, doesnā€™t recognise my VIN šŸ¤Ø

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Thanksā€¦that diagram is helpful.

I honestly donā€™t believe itā€™s the DSP. Iā€™ve tried your trick of FM mode, that doesnā€™t do anything to stop it.

Itā€™s 100% coming from 18808B in your diagramā€¦.the noise. I think itā€™s either that or the actual module that controls it.

Iā€™ll pop my VIN in to the parts site and see.

If I get a chance tomorrow Iā€™ll pull the LVB -ve off for 10 minutes on the whole car.

EDIT: parts.ford.com is US only, doesnā€™t recognise my VIN šŸ¤Ø
Here's a very early build 2021 Mach-E vin I just found from a for-sale listing: 3FMTK3SSXMMA01114

If the sound is only coming from the front pedestrian speaker, then I think you could disconnect it entirely since the forum consensus seems to be have the impression that this speaker has never been activated. If I recall correctly, it isn't even installed at the factory on later production vehicles.

OP
OP
ProximusAl

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here's a very early build 2021 Mach-E vin I just found from a for-sale listing: 3FMTK3SSXMMA01114

If the sound is only coming from the front pedestrian speaker, then I think you could disconnect it entirely since the forum consensus seems to be have the impression that this speaker has never been activated. If I recall correctly, it isn't even installed at the factory on later production vehicles.
I would happily try disconnecting it if I knew how to get to it. Donā€™t really want to remove bumpers, frunk tub etc but if itā€™s a wheel and arch thing then possibly.

OP
OP
ProximusAl

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Whatā€™s weird is that part 18808B keeps coming up as a door speakerā€¦.but not in that diagram. This is so weird.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
OP
OP
ProximusAl

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No I donā€™t think thatā€™s it.
The battery back-up sounder is an additional alarm system, which sounds a siren if your vehicle battery or the battery back-up sounder is disconnected. When you lock your vehicle the system is armed.

I found a video of an F150 of someone disabling it, so Iā€™ll check my car when I can get under it. You can reach it from underneath. If I unplug it, it will throw DTCs but my point is trying to prove that is where the issue is.

At least then I can go to the dealer armed with my prognosis and evidence.

Itā€™s really embarrassing when people walk past the car and hear itā€¦.sounds like itā€™s going to explode, but in essence is harmless.

OP
OP
ProximusAl

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, I've fully charged my LVB, which seemed to make a small difference but probably placebo effect to the crackling, so this morning I disconnected the -ve from the LVB and left it for 30 minutes.

Immediately connecting the -ve lead to the battery, the crackling starts.

I'm 100% convinced this is the front speaker, and I can't reach the plug to unplug the speaker as a test, so I think my only option left is the dealer.......but at least I can give them all the troubleshooting I've done.

I suppose the fact the car is crackling now every single time, they cant (like last time) say they cant recreate it.

OP
OP
ProximusAl

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So Iā€™ve found a dealer who actually would accept an email from me before *requiring the car because we canā€™t diagnose over email*

The email consisted of a video of the noise, with the addition of the part schematicā€¦..

I emailed it to a reception lady (after calling ) and she had her EV tech take a look.

The EV tech agreed with me that itā€™s likely the speaker, theyā€™ve ordered the part, and Iā€™m in next Thursday to get it replaced. They were quite honest about not being sure whether the bumper (fender) needs to come off to replace the speaker, but so farā€¦.Im actually Impressed.
Is it possible Iā€™ve actually found a competent dealer?

I do have to driveā€¦quite a few milesā€¦.but Iā€™m hoping itā€™s worth it.
Sponsored