PRNDL on the prototype

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I wouldn't read too much into the PRDNL on these prototypes. There's a menu option for one-pedal driving in the car settings. With the rotary dial, the L position seems redundant to the one-pedal menu button on the touchscreen, no?

Seems like KIA has it right in the Niro EV's gear selector dial with D N R and center button for P. The dial self-centers. It's super simple and intuitive.

dims.jpeg
thank you. I am also sure that at the time of delivery the salesperson will go over all of this since it so new.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
LOL, please don't be too lazy to hit that break in an emergency!
Not an issue: Years of driving an ICE makes hitting the brake in a panic stop instinctual. You don't even think about it even if you're in 1-pedal mode.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I imagine trying to explain it to my Dad. It's akin to driving around in 1st gear except it's much much smoother when you slow to a stop with no lurching like you get using a manual.

On the acceleration, again it's like 1st gear but it just keeps pulling with none of the lurching you get as you shift nor is there any engine spooling up before you pop the clutch to get a quick start or between gears. It's amazing.

As a former 5sp manual driver, I actually think 1-pedal driving sensation is more intuitive than for autos since I always used the engine to slow down anyways with downshifts whenever possible.
Thanks! That actually really makes sense, thank you for that! I can definitely see how 1-pedal then is such a boon. I drive using engine braking heavily now, so I can imagine if it were linear with no lurch wow!

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
Thanks! That actually really makes sense, thank you for that! I can definitely see how 1-pedal then is such a boon. I drive using engine braking heavily now, so I can imagine if it were linear with no lurch wow!
We have a BMW i3 and it has very strong regen (not changeable), but it is really great. Our Volt is much milder and after driving both, the stronger regen is superb for stop/go traffic. That has been our experience.

Res Nullius

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-Golf, X3
Country flag
We have a BMW i3 and it has very strong regen (not changeable), but it is really great. Our Volt is much milder and after driving both, the stronger regen is superb for stop/go traffic. That has been our experience.
When I test drove the i3 its brake regen was way too strong for my taste. So strong that it felt like driving a golf cart. I'm glad the Mach-E will have ability to set the brake regen level as well as disabling it if the driver wants.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I am confused. Are you talking setting say form weak to strong or is it strictly on or off???

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag