Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The important thing is to use social distancing and testing/quarantine of cases works to flatten the curve. This is why people need to take this seriously. Personal action really does matter.

Please avoid conflating public health with politics. You will note I did not say anything about who called it a hoax. I said this is not a hoax. There are other threads for politics.This thread is about the potential for delayed production.
Sponsored

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The important thing is to use social distancing and testing/quarantine of cases works to flatten the curve. This is why people need to take this seriously. Personal action really does matter.

Please avoid conflating public health with politics. You will note I did not say anything about who called it a hoax. I said this is not a hoax. There are other threads for politics.This thread is about the potential for delayed production.
Thank you!

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
This thread has gone off the rails. There is a lot of irresponsible rhetoric being thrown around. It's sad to see this kind of infighting.
I do agree that there are another couple of threads that are more appropriate for this conversation about Coronavirus.

I don't agree that there has been irresponsible rhetoric, other than the personal attack by the troll. This discussion has been spirited and informative, neither of those things is irresponsible.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
At this point, I don't see how production can't be delayed. Cargo can still get across borders but even mission-critical employees may not be in the shop/lab/office.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Automakers to partially shut down plants amid coronavirus fears

"All three companies have agreed to new measures that will increase adherence to CDC recommendations on social distancing in the workplace," the UAW said. "Most importantly, all three companies have agreed to review and implement the rotating partial shutdown of facilities, extensive deep cleaning of facility and equipment between shifts, extended periods between shifts, and extensive plans to avoid member contact. They will be working on shift rotation to minimize risk."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...oroanvirus-production-halt-europe/5068532002/

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And I’m afraid the hysteria created by some, especially the media, can create issues that will be worse than the virus itself. The unraveling of a society can become very very ugly.
And the economic damage. That effects everyone, in every corner of their lives.

Which kinda brings us full circle to the impact on Mach-e production.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
You do understand that the fatality rate 'appears' higher because we don't yet have a fix on the denominator in the equation (total fatalities/total # of people infected). As more people are tested, the death rate will fall. So with FAR more people actually having the virus and not yet identified as so, the death rate will turn out to be far lower than 2%. In fact even today that number is lower. I heard a doctor in immunology, just this morning, saying the ultimate death rate might turn out not much different than the regular flu.

As a side note, your linked article is actually 4 days old, which in this dramatically changing virus world, is actually ancient news.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
As more people are tested, the death rate will fall.
Quite true.

Korea has been a really good test for this. Their case fatality rate (CFR) as of yesterday was:
8320 cases, 81 fatalities, 81/8320= 0.97% or roughly 1% (source: WHO situation report 17 March 2020)
They have tested more than 270,000 people, so their statistics are the best indicator of actual infection rate and CFR.
Korea's CFR for covid-19 is still roughly 10x the CFR for seasonal influenza.

Of course, they also have universal, single-payer healthcare, so access to care and testing have never been an issue.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Detroit automakers agree to shut down plants amid positive coronavirus cases

Detroit's three automakers have agreed to close all of their factories due to worker fears about the coronavirus, according to an Associated Press source.

Automakers are expected to release details of the closure later Wednesday. The United Auto Workers union has been pushing for factories to close because workers are fearful of coming into contact with the virus.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...-united-states-auto-manufacturing/2863150001/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe this will be limited to US/Canada plants. The MME plant in Mexico is not part of the UAW.

Last edited:

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
I live in the San Francisco Bay area and we have a shelter in place order in for all counties around the bay. I'm not at work because of this. Integrated circuits development is not considered essential. The grocery stores are open but the last time I was at one the shelves were bare for canned goods bread, meat, paper towels and toilet paper, etc.

The death rate has been about 2% as near as we can tell, but many cases are likely so mild that they are not diagnosed.

Still, 20% of the diagnosed cases require hospitalization. If this happened in 1918 like the Spanish flu we would lose nearly 20%.

If the hospitals are over whelmed we will loose much more than 2%.

OP
OP
jeffdawgfan

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
And who says every person will get it? The virus doesn't even live in hot climates, so rule out Florida's population and Texas. Only half of the country would likely even get the virus. Look up the flu numbers.

Now we're talking even less people dying, maybe 300,000 max.
I am not sure where you are getting your information. I am a retired ER/ICU RN. At sixty years of age I am in the early high category. Luckily I can stay home and away from people who are in denial about how serious this is. The virus DOES live in hot climates. Have you taken a look at the the infection and deaths in Australia which has been experiencing the outbreak in the middle of their summer. Have you looked at the infections rate and deaths that are starting to climb in Florida where the weather is getting hotter with spring approaching?

It is easy to say that so many die from heart disease, the flu, strokes, etc every year. This pandemic is going to worsen those numbers because there are not going to be hospital beds for patients having other issues. How can people be so ignorant about what is getting ready to happen in this country. Take a hard look at Italy and see our future.

I still get the latest information from the CDC and other sources even though I am retired. It is not good. The effective mortality rate for those over 80 is approaching 27%!!! That is one in four people. For those in their 60's and above it starts around 6% and rapidly climbs toward 17%. Even if you go by a average 3% death rate.....that is one million people in the United States alone. Who do you think are the leaders and most knowledgeable CEO's, scientists, teachers, etc. It is the older people in our country (yes there are some younger ones.) If a large of percentage of these people die what is that going to do to our world.

People can hide their heads in the sand and say..."Well, I'm young so no problem." Maybe for you, but for us that are older, like your parents etc....we don't feel that way. I would like to enjoy my retirement that I worked so long to earn. It is going to take the world years to get over this pandemic...just wait and see.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Ohio has a 2 year old now with the virus.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Quite true.

Korea has been a really good test for this. Their case fatality rate (CFR) as of yesterday was:
8320 cases, 81 fatalities, 81/8320= 0.97% or roughly 1% (source: WHO situation report 17 March 2020)
They have tested more than 270,000 people, so their statistics are the best indicator of actual infection rate and CFR.
Korea's CFR for covid-19 is still roughly 10x the CFR for seasonal influenza.

Of course, they also have universal, single-payer healthcare, so access to care and testing have never been an issue.
More likely that Korea is doing well because their culture is regimented and they are quick to follow prudent action. Our "multi-culture" is not that good at it. I doubt single payer healthcare is the driving force for this. Testing people like Korea is doing doesn't require a single payer healthcare program. Sorry to, again, have to respond to a "political" subject, but if others keep doing it, their needs to be some balance.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Detroit automakers agree to shut down plants amid positive coronavirus cases

Detroit's three automakers have agreed to close all of their factories due to worker fears about the coronavirus, according to an Associated Press source.

Automakers are expected to release details of the closure later Wednesday. The United Auto Workers union has been pushing for factories to close because workers are fearful of coming into contact with the virus.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...-united-states-auto-manufacturing/2863150001/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe this will be limited to US/Canada plants. The MME plant in Mexico is not part of the UAW.
Bad move.
Sponsored