Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I work for Stellantis and we have a stripped down version of Android Automotive as the OS on our new R1 Radios (10.1" in the Pacifica and other models). Here's ours T&Cs for connected services as an example of what you may see with Ford: https://www.driveuconnect.com/connectedservices/privacy.html

We don't send data to Google at this time unless you are using Google Specific services (and this is my area) OR we are triaging a very specific problem and even then we'll try to replicate the problem with our test vehicles internally to shield customer data before we escalate to Google.

As far as Alexa, Alexa asks for integration with various things to allow different things to work. You have to explicitly allow access to those things like location, contacts, music, etc. Here's the integration guide we have to follow in order to provide those services: https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs/alexa/alexa-auto/about-this-guide.html

Our own luddites here as well as the lawyers ensured when permissions are revoked, all data connections are severed and any remaining data is deleted.
I think this is the “Gotcha”:
Providers of Third Party Services
You could argue that navigation provided by Google (which seems to be something that is going to be done in the future by Ford), would fall under this clause and thus provide a route to expose everything they have about you to google with no controls over how google uses that data:(
Sponsored

spp

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Cherokee, Pacifica PHEV
Occupation
Sr. Solution Architect
Country flag
I think this is the “Gotcha”:
Providers of Third Party Services
You could argue that navigation provided by Google (which seems to be something that is going to be done in the future by Ford), would fall under this clause and thus provide a route to expose everything they have about you to google with no controls over how google uses that data:(
That there is the rub. Once you start using something you know is third party based or Internet Connected, you are subject to those privacy policies.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
It is why Apple and Google can't find partners to build cars for them. No one wants to give them access to the data a car generates, or become the next Foxconn.
@Jimrpa I operate under the dictum that if it can happen it will happen. My modem is getting yanked day1 after that announcement, OTA and remote start be damned. Super disappointed for a brand that supposedly cares so much about consumer confidence, Google has a rap sheet a mile long and I can't imagine why else they'd be interested, and Ford can amend their privacy policy just like the other 50 companies per month thst email me ssying they've changed it.

I can't return my car as easily as I can ditch an app if they pull the rug on the privacy policy. Which with all this cloud-connected city talk on the horizon I have to imagine will be soon at every OEM. Gotta get those new income sources somehow
Sponsored