21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I just saw this capability advertised at a Lucid EV demo store in Tyson's Corner Mall, VA last week.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Another factor is the intended usage (rare emergency vs daily as something like time-shifting solar power).

Infrequent usage won't take much life off the battery. But daily usage would. Shortening the life of the expensive, liquid-cooled, performance lithium battery in the car for something that doesn't need such an expensive storage option. I'd never want to do that, degrading range on my expensive EV and accelerating a $20k battery replacement. I paid $5000 extra just for the ER battery just so I would have comfortable road trip range, even after some years of normal degradation. No way I'm hurting that.
Interesting point. But when the future magic battery technologies we keep reading about come to pass (you know, the ones with infinite charge/discharge cycles, unaffected by temperature, that charge in less than 2 minutes, are made from dirt and roadkill, and have an energy density of 100 kWh per cubic centimeter) in two years (it’s always “2 years”), we won’t have to worry 😀