Recommended 12V Battery SOC to Receive Updates?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yes, that's a major factor. Lots of WFH and retired folks that only drive a couple miles a couple times per week. Dashcams that drain the 12V is another one.
It’s likely more of a factor now than in the past.

Now that the LVB on many of these cars is 2+ years old, they aren’t in as good of shape.

Notice that these 12v threads popularity have significantly increased recently? I don’t remember this being much of a concern in the past.

My commute to work is 1 mile. Never had an issue with my 12v charge until recently.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
It’s like more of a factor now than in the past.

Now that the LVB on many of these cars is 2+ years old, they aren’t in as good of shape.

Notice that these 12v threads popularity have significantly increased recently? I don’t remember this being much of a concern in the past.
Cold is also a big factor right now. That reduces 12V capacity and slows down charging. Plus the big push for 6.x OTAs, pretty sure the past month is the most OTAs Ford has ever done at the same time.

And yes, the batteries are getting older. 2+ years of poor battery management is catching up.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cold is also a big factor right now. That reduces 12V capacity and slows down charging. Plus the big push for 6.x OTAs, pretty sure the past month is the most OTAs Ford has ever done at the same time.
Yup yup. All the things.

We have been through updates and winters before though. Just trying to figure the root cause (basically what’s different now than in the past).

Cold not an issue for me in Florida. Neither are updates unfortunately as my last update was August 7. ☹

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Yes, that's a major factor. Lots of WFH and retired folks that only drive a couple miles a couple times per week. Dashcams that drain the 12V is another one.
If only there was a large, nearby, alternate power source, readily available, that could keep the 12v topped off as necessary …

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
This is so stupid. While it’s good to know the reasons, I still want someone to explain to me, in bunny rabbit English, why my Mustang Mach-E is the first car I’ve owned in over 30 years that I’m consciously aware of even HAVING a 12V battery 🙄
Your frustration is understandable, but not only has the MME been updating virtually every module in the car, for most of us it’s the first car that can genuinely be updated at all. Try this update trick on our 2020 Raptor for example.

Those updates, in their rapid fire arrc, constrain the 12v. Add in occasional use scenarios and we get these results.

Last edited:

Bill S

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Prem ER eAWD, 18 Tesla M3, 64 Falcon Sprint
Country flag
Yup yup. All the things.

We have been through updates and winters before though. Just trying to figure the root cause (basically what’s different now than in the past).

Cold not an issue for me in Florida. Neither are updates unfortunately as my last update was August 7. ☹
I’m also in Fl. Last update was 8/17 but a few days ago my VIN was checked here and there has been no attempt to make an update. Since the 23-PU0110 OTA. I’m sure it will happen. I’m a 3/24/22 build.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m also in Fl. Last update was 8/17 but a few days ago my VIN was checked here and there has been no attempt to make an update. Since the 23-PU0110 OTA. I’m sure it will happen. I’m a 3/24/22 build.
Interesting. Yeah mine was delivered Oct of 2021. Same last update. I’m a GTPE and in EA as well.
Sponsored