Cobra95Kev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Edge
Country flag
Has anyone seen anything about this mentioned yet? I watched the reveal and saw nothing there. I have read quite a few articles and reviews and still nothing? I would be interested to know if they are using it and how it is handled.

Thanks,
Kevin C.
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
It certainly has regenerative breaking, and I've seen a "1-Pedal Driving" option in the UI. I also think one of the videos mentions regen happening when you initially depress the brake pedal as well.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
It has regenerative braking I heard one of the project guys tell StangMode in one of the videos I've watched.

OP
OP

Cobra95Kev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Edge
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. Will watch video. I wonder how long the gap between having a car at our local Ford dealer to test drive and delivery of reserved car will be. I reserved mine in the first 15 minutes of the webcast ending on the 17th. Hopefully that will get me an early delivery.

I have never drove and electric car, not even a golf cart! I bet that 1 pedal driving will take some getting used too.

Thanks,

Kevin C.

Windydrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt EV, 2021 Ford Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Renewable Energy Instructor
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. Will watch video. I wonder how long the gap between having a car at our local Ford dealer to test drive and delivery of reserved car will be. I reserved mine in the first 15 minutes of the webcast ending on the 17th. Hopefully that will get me an early delivery.

I have never drove and electric car, not even a golf cart! I bet that 1 pedal driving will take some getting used too.

Thanks,

Kevin C.
The 1 pedal driving is amazing. I have the first car to ever come with it, Chevy Bolt EV. I love it and wish I could turn it in default instead of having to switch it to L with the double tap of the shifter. I'm sure that'll be the first part to wear out. I flip it several times a day which adds up to thousands of operations each year.

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
I just want to say that I have rented a Tesla and it is quite amazing. If you do not own an electric car it will take some getting use to. I know Tesla had to do an OTA update to put in an option for creep mode to allow car to still roll forward and not regen brake as hard. However, if you keep your foot on the Accelerator (not Gas Pedal) it will gradually slow down. For example you are doing say 60MPH (USA) and you need to stop you can either remove foot and get the massive jerk of braking from regen. Or you can gradually live foot off pedal and it will slow down but keep foot on pedal as that is what controls the strength of the regen. As you get slower continue removing foot and it will stop even with foot on pedal slightly.

This is great on maintenance cause technically you will never have to replace the brakes on the car cause the regen not only stops your car but will put more juice back into the battery which is great.

I would say go on Turo or a friend who owns electric car and ask them if you can test it out to get the feeling of owning one if you have never driven or owned one before. Heck just go to a dealer or Tesla showroom and test drive one. But if you drive Tesla you will be hooked.

OP
OP

Cobra95Kev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Edge
Country flag
Thanks for the detailed reply. We don’t have a Tesla that I can drive anywhere near the city I live. My local electric utility had an event a couple of months ago to get a chance to ride in a Tesla from some local owners. But I missed out on that due to Dad duties and cub scouts. This Mach E that I have reserved will be for my wife. I think I may have the dealership turn off the regen braking when she takes it for her first test drive. First impressions are a big deal for her and if it bothers her at first she will back out. I think I will have to slowly get her used to it. I know I will have no problem getting used to it.

Windydrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It feels like a manual transmission when you let off, has she ever driven a stick?

OP
OP

Cobra95Kev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Edge
Country flag
No she has not. Should be interesting!

Windydrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If you wanted to break her in a bit, the Chevy Bolt was the first EV with 1 pedal driving. You can find them at dealerships I expect. That way you know how she will react.

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Thanks for the detailed reply. We don’t have a Tesla that I can drive anywhere near the city I live. My local electric utility had an event a couple of months ago to get a chance to ride in a Tesla from some local owners. But I missed out on that due to Dad duties and cub scouts. This Mach E that I have reserved will be for my wife. I think I may have the dealership turn off the regen braking when she takes it for her first test drive. First impressions are a big deal for her and if it bothers her at first she will back out. I think I will have to slowly get her used to it. I know I will have no problem getting used to it.
You are welcome. Everywhere I have read on forums with people coming from ICE cars to full electric have pretty much said the same thing. It is nice but does take a little use to. But once you do it is fine as you learn to slowly release the accelerator pedal and never remove foot completely like we are use to doing in ICE cars. I know it kinda having to retrain ourselves on how to drive cars again. As the other person mention like driving a stick but always in 1 gear. So if going high speed and lift foot off pedal the car will jerk back cause rpms too high (reference to sticks) warning that you need to change gears so rpms back in normal range.

My take is this is kinda like the Regenerative braking. It acts like a lower gear so take foot completely off pedal the car jerks/brakes hard as it is using full regen power to recoupe the excessive energy back into the battery for your benefit. So to avoid this whenever you get a chance to drive any fully electric vehicle even if it is the Chevy Bolt at Chevy dealer see how it feels letting foot off pedal fully and then do it gradually and that is what we need to teach ourselves how to drive 1 pedal driving.

With 1 pedal driving their is no creep option standard unless Ford already put that option on their systems. However, Tesla did not have that option either until about a year ago I believe or was it 2 years. People kepts complaining that the regen was too harsh so they did an OTA update to allow for a creep mode. Creep mode is not as much regen but makes it react more like normal ICE car by not regen braking as much.

When I rented the Tesla on Turo I used both modes and honestly the regen was harsh but you do get use to driving that way real fast cause you will get tired of the harsh regen driving. Just think of the regen braking as teaching your kids to drive and using a car with sensitive brakes. Everytime they would stop they would apply brake too much and would jerk car. Well this is the same, so just retraining ourselves on driving electric cars from ICE cars.

OP
OP

Cobra95Kev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Edge
Country flag
So I had some extra time Saturday. Went a drove a Bolt Premiere. I thought it was impressive. I drove in in D mode which I guess is light on the regen braking. I didn't know about an "L" mode which I guess is the one pedal driving.
Though it did a little regen braking when lifting the pedal I also used a lot more when using the paddle on the left side of the steering wheel. I was impressed by the quiet operation and the 0-60 was not bad. I used to have a 95 Mustang Cobra 5 speed and it's 0-60 time was 6.3. This little puddle jumper did it in 6.5! Makes me want the Mach E even more now. As a side note the sticker on the Bolt was 44k. Without even really trying they had it down to 33.5k before I walked out. Minus the 7.5k tax credit off of that and I have to say I was very slightly tempted to pull the trigger. I was not able to get my Wife to drive it though.

FASTBACK

First Name
Petter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Indian Roadmaster - Beemer 40e
Occupation
Dealer
Country flag
Mach E Speed Sign Recognition that can automatically adjust the set speed of your vehicle to the posted speed limit - for this it will sure use regen to get the speed down . Pulled the trigger and waiting for the testdrive

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
As the 1-pedal is an option I hope the normal mode follows the same methodology as Porsche have done with the taycan in that it drives just like a normal car whren you lift off and only get regen when you use the break pedal, seems much more natural to me.

As adaptive cruise control can easily take care of stop & start traffic I can't see much need for 1-pedal myself but everyone like different things and with the way OTA it should allow ford to configure the car to suit multiple tastes.
Sponsored