Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes they are but the pedal is still called the accelerator--even in shop manuals.
Just don't call it the "gas" pedal!
Sponsored

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
Although there are user-controlled settings for how strong the regen braking is, the actual application is transparent to the user. You apply brakes (or just release the “gas”, depending on your settings) and software drives whether regen braking and/or traditional braking kicks in.
There isn’t a separate regen braking input (like paddles) needed.
I have a Chevy Volt. Even in L mode, the regen paddle significantly increases the power going to the battery. The only disadvantage is that my insurance app complains I am braking too hard when I use the paddle.
I am looking forward to seeing how effective the regen is on my Mach-e (premium red rwd).

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I have a Chevy Volt. Even in L mode, the regen paddle significantly increases the power going to the battery. The only disadvantage is that my insurance app complains I am braking too hard when I use the paddle.
I am looking forward to seeing how effective the regen is on my Mach-e (premium red rwd).
Yes, there are user selected settings that also adjust the amount of regen in the MME. Each drive mode has different amount of regen. Additionally, there's also an "L" selector on the center console selector that greatly increases regen. I was merely trying to point out that, once those are selected (and although the driver can engage "L" at any point), the regen braking is engaged through the pedals (releasing the accelerator or applying the brake) and doesn't require a separate action.
In other words, the brake doesn't merely activate mechanical braking and you need to engage regen braking with paddles or some other way.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yes, there are user selected settings that also adjust the amount of regen in the MME. Each drive mode has different amount of regen. Additionally, there's also an "L" selector on the center console selector that greatly increases regen. I was merely trying to point out that, once those are selected (and although the driver can engage "L" at any point), the regen braking is engaged through the pedals (releasing the accelerator or applying the brake) and doesn't require a separate action.
In other words, the brake doesn't merely activate mechanical braking and you need to engage regen braking with paddles or some other way.
For all of the current Ford PHEV's and BEV's (e.g. Focus Electric, C-Max Energi, and Fusion Energi) the use of regen is basically transparent if you want it to be: Just drive them like you would any other car and the car handles how much regen is done automatically.

It would appear that you can adjust the amount the car uses with the driver based settings (whisper, unbridled, etc.) but I would expect the Mach-E to behave in a similar manner to Ford's existing vehicles: Once you set up the level you want, just drive it like a car and it will do all the calculations for you.

The obvious exception here is one pedal mode: When that is on you no longer need to use the brake pedal.

Now will Ford also include other ways to engage regen (like the Volt & Bolt's paddles behind the steering wheel)? Given that the car has a Mustang logo on it I would say: yeah its pretty likely that the driver will have a few different options for manually controlling regen.

OP
OP
Dkuhnke

Dkuhnke

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ordered Mach e FE, but ETA is anyone's guess
Occupation
retired engineer
Country flag
Your insurance! Haha. I have to put mine ine "Sleep mode" everytime I go on the 401 (highway for US folks), because if I kept to posted speedlimit of 100kmph I'd be causing accidents!

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Has this been verified, or just assumed? There's been a lot of misinformation provided by trolls on this subject here. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just haven't seen it verified anywhere.
If the MME uses the same brake pedal assembly as the Focus Electric then it will also control regen up to a point where the hydraulic cam engages. Function is virtually seamless to the driver.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
OK guys, it's time we called the 'gas' pedal what it's typically referred to in the EV community, the GO pedal. :)
Also refered to as the E peddle..

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
There aren’t many things I will miss about my BoltEV but paddle braking is definitely one of them.

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
Your insurance! Haha. I have to put mine ine "Sleep mode" everytime I go on the 401 (highway for US folks), because if I kept to posted speedlimit of 100kmph I'd be causing accidents!
Mine doesn't seem to mind speed up to 120 but doesn't like braking. On the plus side, I got 20% off when I renewed earlier this year. Now the app isn't recording, I think they turned it off due to COVID.
Sponsored