TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Your dealer is bullshitting. Can you post a screenshot of the email? Which dealer? Name and shame.
The email from Ford was the standard "Order placed. Thrills ahead." email that everyone else that's placed an order has gotten.

I don't want to shame the dealer yet until I really get this sorted out. Again, giving them the benefit of the doubt for the moment until I figure out if they're really trying to pull a fast one or not.
Sponsored

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
I hope I'm wrong, but standing by my earlier comment. Dealers know they won't be able to get any inventory to truly sell themselves. I think they are getting a flat fee from Ford for each unit sold and it adds to their monthly count. Getting an additional one allows them to charge an ADM.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hope I'm wrong, but standing by my earlier comment. Dealers know they won't be able to get any inventory to truly sell themselves. I think they are getting a flat fee from Ford for each unit sold and it adds to their monthly count. Getting an additional one allows them to charge an ADM.
Totally agree. I've described the same fear. Dealers have quite a bit of incentive to play games just to get customer reservations converted to orders, so they then control the vehicle. Then they have the leverage. I fear some buyers may be looking at "gotcha" extras when their vehicle arrives. Either to pad the profit directly, or even better for them - drive the reservation holder away from the deal altogether and leave a MME with the dealer where they can charge $5k-$10k ADM off the lot.

To prevent that, I think it's prudent to have a pretty solid price agreement in writing in advance before placing the order and locking the car into that dealer.

Many dealers are no doubt good and fair and honest. But many others, well...

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
After I get it sorted out, I may pass on the experience as feedback to help them improve the process. It's not to that point yet though.
Bring the big guns in at Ford HQ to get it resolved. That was done out here in Hawaii when the order process first opened up and dealers were trying too add on huge ADM. it got resolved very fast. The dealer is banking on you going along with it. Don’t let them. Drop a note tonight.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The $500 Ford deposit refund showed up on my credit card account today, dated the 18th (the date the dealer hijacked my reservation and turned it into an order).

Still waiting on a response to my email questions to the dealership rep about X-Plan pricing, dealer deposit refundability, and any other extra charges/fees they plan to add. I'll give em the rest of the day for an answer before calling Ford.

Timbop - Please let us know what your dealer says. Sounds like the same situation as mine.

Honhme

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity PHEV; 2018 Ioniq EV
Occupation
State employee
Country flag
My reservation automatically got converted at an order overnight. Not by me. Did anyone else have this happen to them?

I had started a txt/email conversation with the internet sales rep at the dealership I originally designated on the reservation last Dec. Made it clear I was just researching info at this point and getting info from multiple dealers before deciding who to go with. I was awaiting a response from an email I'd send Sat with questions about X-plan pricing, ADM, refundability of dealer deposit, etc.

At 2:30am this morning, I get an email saying my order was placed. WTF??? I logged into Ford and it says:

Mustang Mach-E PREMIUM
In-Store Order
07/18/2020
Order Date

Order Number

with no other details (no configuration details, no mention of deposits (Ford or dealer), etc. So I emailed my dealership rep. Their reply: "All orders in reservation mode were converted so they can get the orders moving forward. This was requested by Ford Corporate. It doesn't mean you have to use our store. It is just the next step. "

Seems to suggest Ford did that for all pending reservations not converted to order yet, but I'm dubious since I'd expect to see many others reporting it here. Anyone else have similar experience today?
I

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The $500 Ford deposit refund showed up on my credit card account today, dated the 18th (the date the dealer hijacked my reservation and turned it into an order).

Still waiting on a response to my email questions to the dealership rep about X-Plan pricing, dealer deposit refundability, and any other extra charges/fees they plan to add. I'll give em the rest of the day for an answer before calling Ford.

Timbop - Please let us know what your dealer says. Sounds like the same situation as mine.
Just talked to my salesman: yes, he converted it to an order. His words were "he saw it sitting in the reserved state, and thought he was the one that was supposed to take the next step so he converted it to an order. Since he and I had talked so much he assumed that's what I wanted him to do".

I don't think he's being sleazy, I believe he did make a mistake and he immediately offered to cancel. When I pointed out that would terminate my reservation he said he would call Ford and see if the order "can be put on hold" instead.

will let you know

Honhme

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity PHEV; 2018 Ioniq EV
Occupation
State employee
Country flag
I just checked my account and so far it is still a reservation. they have not converted it into an order at this time.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
My reservation automatically got converted at an order overnight. Not by me. Did anyone else have this happen to them?

I had started a txt/email conversation with the internet sales rep at the dealership I originally designated on the reservation last Dec. Made it clear I was just researching info at this point and getting info from multiple dealers before deciding who to go with. I was awaiting a response from an email I'd send Sat with questions about X-plan pricing, ADM, refundability of dealer deposit, etc.

At 2:30am this morning, I get an email saying my order was placed. WTF??? I logged into Ford and it says:

Mustang Mach-E PREMIUM
In-Store Order
07/18/2020
Order Date

Order Number

with no other details (no configuration details, no mention of deposits (Ford or dealer), etc. So I emailed my dealership rep. Their reply: "All orders in reservation mode were converted so they can get the orders moving forward. This was requested by Ford Corporate. It doesn't mean you have to use our store. It is just the next step. "

Seems to suggest Ford did that for all pending reservations not converted to order yet, but I'm dubious since I'd expect to see many others reporting it here. Anyone else have similar experience today?
Tim as you know, I have not converted. I did not receive any communication like this, and to be sure I just logged into Ford.com and it still shows as a reservation not an order

Ford Mustang Mach-E Reservation Automatically Converted to Order Overnight 1595351588310

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tim as you know, I have not converted. I did not receive any communication like this, and to be sure I just logged into Ford.com and it still shows as a reservation not an order
Thanks. As Timbop confirmed, it appears to be the dealership that did his, and probably mine. Perhaps innocently, or perhaps otherwise.

Good idea for everyone with a yet-to-be-converted reservation to keep an eye on theirs too, now knowing that the designated dealer has access to turn it into an order at any time.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Thanks. As Timbop confirmed, it appears to be the dealership that did his, and probably mine. Perhaps innocently, or perhaps otherwise.

Good idea for everyone with a yet-to-be-converted reservation to keep an eye on theirs too, now knowing that the designated dealer has access to turn it into an order at any time.
I know some people were doing the process directly through their dealer, so I'm not surprised they have some ability to make changes.

But seems better training is in order for dealers!

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So, potentially good news. Got a response from the dealer last evening. I won't post the whole thing but this section is the essence of it:

"We had much discussion with Ford today on how the reservation/ordering process was going. We brought up the issue with your reservation going in to order status. Sounds like there is some confusion between the different channels at Ford and the dealerships. I think we have it figured out over here."

They said the order doesn't actually get placed until they hit SUBMIT, and they have not yet. It sounds like there must be some in-between status where they open the order, but it doesn't proceed until they submit it. I remember reading something to that effect here weeks ago as well.

So it appears to be a similar situation to Timbop's (just confusion over how this brand new process is intended to work). We're still clearing up details on X-Plan, but I'll probably go ahead and proceed with this dealer. In CO, it's standard for new vehicle sales to include a "Dealer Handling" charge, but it can vary (typically $400-$700). This dealer's is on the low end of that so I'd prefer to stick with them if this gets sorted out to my satisfaction, as it appears headed.

Thanks to all of you here for the feedback. It's invaluable to have a place to "compare notes" throughout this new process.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
"Dealer Handling" charge = Additional Dealer Markup. The amount is limited under X-plan as the X-plan for the MME is2% off MSRP + $275 administrative, making the allowable "Dealer Handling" charge $275.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
"Dealer Handling" charge = Additional Dealer Markup. The amount is limited under X-plan as the X-plan for the MME is2% off MSRP + $275 administrative, making the allowable "Dealer Handling" charge $275.
Agree absolutely. It may be practice that they charge that in CO for those not on AXZD plans, but they should not be able to charge that on AXZD plans.
In some states (don't know about CO) they can charge up to $100 additional for document fees. Other than that, participation in the program requires that the dealer charge you the same as everyone else (including those outside CO).
This is what's in the Ford page:

24. Can I be charged a “document fee” (doc fee) by my dealer?
Yes. Dealers will be permitted to assess up to $100 in documentary fees on each delivery to an eligible purchaser under the terms of the Plan, unless otherwise provided by state or local laws or regulation. Each dealer is responsible for complying with applicable laws or regulations.
  • What if I am in a state that allows the dealer to charge more than $100?
Unless otherwise provided by state or local laws or regulation: In states where dealers are not permitted to charge as much as $100 for doc fees, dealers would be capped at the lesser amount as provided by the state. In states that permitted more than $100, dealers would be permitted to charge the Plan customer $100. In states that permitted more than $100 and also required that all customers be charged the same amount, dealers may charge the Plan customer $100 and indicate any additional fees have been paid by Ford Motor Company or Lincoln Motor Company as part of the AXZD-Plan Program dealer reimbursement on the buyer's order.
  • How does this change the $275 administration fee?
There is no change. The $275 administration fee covers costs of managing the New Vehicle Purchase Program.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Interesting. I'll have to look into that. I've never used X-Plan before so that's a new one to me. I know D&H is standard practice here (been that way for decades) but it would be cool to avoid it if possible.
Sponsored