Ride - Solutions?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Are you leaving one pedal driving enabled? Might your dealer have overinflated the tires?

I have to say your experience is very much in contrast with mine as to the ride. I have found it very smooth over bumps, to the point that I drive slower than I need to based on my experience with other cars where I know how nasty some of the local bumps and dips are (to not screw up my Mach-E's suspension over the long run) as opposed to any discomfort I am feeling coming through in the Mach-E.

And on the freeways, it is so planted, so stable - I feel very comfortable moving at higher speeds. As I drive along overpasses and other transitions where the road suddenly raises or drops, I do not lose my sense of stability to nearly the extent that my 2006 Mustang GT does or my 2013 Chevy Equinox did.

I don't know how much overall weight and weight distribution would factor into what you are feeling, but my Mach-E is AWD SR.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Did you test drive one before you purchased yours? Was it the same? Maybe go try another one out it see if it's just your car or not. I'm sure there are changes you can make to change the ride. Do the European spec cars have a different suspension or are they just tuned differently?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Short of selling the car and taking a huge loss, I mean.

I'm so disappointed in the ride and handling of my Mach-E, it's overriding everything else positive about the car in my eyes.

It is so underdamped, so uncontrolled, so jiggly, that even on a road that *looks* smooth, I am borderline nauseous from how it throws me around and the constant reverberations of previous bumps. I have put 400 miles on the car and I don't know how I can keep driving it. I feel like a bobblehead nodding to the bumps.

I have never driven a vehicle with a ride as poor as my Mach-E. I've had Mustangs, I've had F-150s, this rides like some unholy mismatch of the two - Mustang firm with F-150 jiggle and suspension upset on any bump.

I assume the GT's suspension will improve this... but I don't know if anyone knows whether it's able to be bolted up to a non-GT.

I haven't found any aftermarket suspension kits for Mach-E yet, has anyone else?
You should take this to the dealer and have him tell you this is the way the car drives Or fix whatever is wrong. Non of what you describe is relatable to everyone else's experience of the ride quality other than nausea type stuff. So either something is seriously wrong with your car or you just wont like the MachE and if its the former it can be fixed by the dealer/Ford; if it is the latter better sell it before adding more miles and pick another vehicle that is to your liking.

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Are you leaving one pedal driving enabled? Might your dealer have overinflated the tires?

I have to say your experience is very much in contrast with mine as to the ride. I have found it very smooth over bumps, to the point that I drive slower than I need to based on my experience with other cars where I know how nasty some of the local bumps and dips are (to not screw up my Mach-E's suspension over the long run) as opposed to any discomfort I am feeling coming through in the Mach-E.

And on the freeways, it is so planted, so stable - I feel very comfortable moving at higher speeds. As I drive along overpasses and other transitions where the road suddenly raises or drops, I do not lose my sense of stability to nearly the extent that my 2006 Mustang GT does or my 2013 Chevy Equinox did.

I don't know how much overall weight and weight distribution would factor into what you are feeling, but my Mach-E is AWD SR.
Remember - the original post is from someone in :Michigan. If you have ever driven in Michigan you would get it.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag

I'm so disappointed in the ride and handling of my Mach-E, it's overriding everything else positive about the car in my eyes.

It is so underdamped, so uncontrolled, so jiggly, that even on a road that *looks* smooth, I am borderline nauseous from how it throws me around and the constant reverberations of previous bumps. I have put 400 miles on the car and I don't know how I can keep driving it. I feel like a bobblehead nodding to the bumps.

I have never driven a vehicle with a ride as poor as my Mach-E. I've had Mustangs, I've had F-150s, this rides like some unholy mismatch of the two - Mustang firm with F-150 jiggle and suspension upset on any bump.

I assume the GT's suspension will improve this... but I don't know if anyone knows whether it's able to be bolted up to a non-GT.

I haven't found any aftermarket suspension kits for Mach-E yet, has anyone else?
test drive?

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
Remember - the original post is from someone in :Michigan. If you have ever driven in Michigan you would get it.
lol! We have such terrible roads in MI. People are too cheap to pay for fixing them.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
To me, the ride is "flat" on flat surfaces, but on roads with contours or seams or periodic features, I get more bounce than I am used to. It does not really bother me, but it is noticeable. I tell myself, it is not the Honda Clarity, Honda being more "old Buick" like in a good way. I just figured it was a more Mustang like feel, although I see Mustang owners saying otherwise. To me it is just a different and new experience, but I could see how some might not like it (or, something might be wrong with your car).

There was a funny thread some years back on the Bolt forum, about someone who bounced a lot on bumpy roads because driving in L (OPD), each bump, they pushed the accelerator pedal without realizing it. Our MME regen is so much lower, that is less likely here. But definitely try again in D, if you were OPD!

CarboFE

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E FE Carbonized Grey
Country flag
While I wouldn't go the same extent as the OP, I did find the ride over bumps, seams, etc., much more pronounced than previous vehicles. I've attributed the difference to being a more "sporty" vehicle than the Grand Cherokee, Yukon, Passat, etc. that I have had in the past.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
As mentioned previously, check tire inflation. My sister bought a new car once and immediately drove it 500 miles to visit our brother. When she arrived, her back hurt so bad from bouncing that she was ready to trade the car in. My brother checked the tires - they were at something like 70 PSI. Dropped to the recommended 35 and it rode like a dream.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Honestly I can feel the bumps in my left foot more than the right!

The floorboard where I rest my left foot "flexes" like a baking pan under foot over bumps, it's quite unsettling feeling my left foot move on a road that looks visibly smooth (at least by Michigan standards anyway).
I wonder if your MME is just broken? Maybe shipping damage to the suspension? Can you get some time on a FCTP MME anywhere near you (check Autotrader, they list most or all of the FCTP MMEs by location, or visit another forum member) for comparison?

@CarboFE described it better than me, as more "sporty". But, nothing like what you are experiencing.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARK

RobertG

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2015 F250 SuperDuty 6.7
Country flag

I have the same feeling as the OP.

The MME is very "bouncy" when driving at slower speeds on our Los Angeles roads. When the car gets to highway speeds, the car does an excellent job dealing with our terrible roads and absorbs the imperfections with controlled grace (and no bouncy feeling).

I am beginning to think the car is over sprung, especially on the rear end.

My other car is an F250 Super Duty, and the MME feels similar to this truck when driving without a good amount of weight in the truck bed. That truck and this MME feels "bouncy" on the smaller imperfections on the road, but once you add weight to the truck bed and in the case of the MME get up to highway speeds (more downforce effectively adding weight to the suspension) the bounciness goes away.

If you ever saw one of "those guys" who drops their car's suspension to the floor and watch them drive on the road and see them "bouncing" on every small road imperfection, that's how this MME feels, to a lesser degree of course. Those cars are bouncy because they must run really high spring rates, which makes me think a softer spring could help our MME.

Last edited:

Daraiders76

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium, 2008 Acura MDX, 2002 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
When I test drove a Premium SR/RWD on my own I felt it a comfortable ride and handles well. I wend back two weeks later and had my wife test drive the exact same car it felt bumpy. I don't know if it was in my head or because I wasn't driving, just seemed rougher than when I drove it.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
While I havent driven the car yet, maybe I can offer some insight since I have experience with springs and coilovers.
The car is very heavy. The car is rated for 5800lbs but the curb weight is 4400lbs. So thats a difference of 1400lbs, that difference is literraly half of a car. So if youre in the car by yourself of course it feels bouncy its 4400lbs on springs rated for 6000lbs. If you had a full car (5ppl + baggage) it wouldnt be bouncy. The spring rate is probably higher than normal.

Thats why one of the mods I might do is either the magneride or maybe air but it has to support the weight.
Sponsored