Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Occupation
Health Care
Country flag
There is a section of bridge near me where the noise is deafening. This is due to the way the concrete was textured. Going the opposite way on the same stretch of bridge is totally different (quite tolerable), as is the rest of the bridge in the same direction. 😊🐩

There was a rash of bad front CV joints. A bad one is characterized by noise and clunking. 😱🐩
No clunking sound but I really hope its a bad bearing. I did find another forum post with the same issue and they were not able to find a solution after multiple dealer visits. Which now has me freaking out. Its so bad that I will sell the car rather than deal with this sound.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I have owned a Premium AWD and now own a GTNP. I just completed a 700 mile round trip and on the way home the GT developed a humming drone noise that is coming from the front right of the car. At first I attributed it to the pavement condition/material, but the sound persisted all the way home and is getting louder. This sound was not present in my Premium and I have already scheduled my dealer to look at it. I think that it could be a bad wheel bearing. I will report back on what they find.

On a side note I do miss how exceptionally quite my Premium was. My GT did not get laminated glass due to the glass shortage earlier this year and I can definitely tell. Wind noise is much louder and noticeable now. I expected road noise to increase due to wider tires, which it did, but the humming drone has to go.
Good morning! Go ahead and privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so that I can look into this noise concern for you. Thank you!

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Just had the MME a couple of days but here are some first impressions and a couple of questions.

I have the select with AWD and the comfort/tech package. This package gives good value at 49k and the performance is certainly very adequate and still fun. The range for an around town car is all I ever need. If I go on a longer trip, I take my Toyota Rav4 Prime. It is comfortable on good surfaces. It has a fairly large learning curve and and a lot of little bugs that hopefully will be fixed. So overall I am pleased with everything except one and it is a biggie for me. I do not know if this is just my car or it is on all with my particular configuration and many people just do not notice it. While taking off and cruising there is a low frequency roar that just kills the EV quiet perception. It almost reminds me of a wheel bearing that is going bad but no clatter just a dull hum. I have the Michelin tires and I guess it is possible it is the tires but it is very disappointing to me. It is hard for me to say if it is coming from the front or the back but the entire cabin seems to be filled with it. Some people do not hear low frequency or high for that matter but I do. It does not seem like there is any unusual vibration just the low roar. Any one else experience this? Thanks all

Do you notice a big difference, when driving at highway speed, on different surfaces? i.e. old asphalt, new asphalt, concrete?

try turning off all climate control.... you may be hearing the cooling/heating pump. It will still come on for the battery if you garage is hot, but it will stop once you get moving.

Other than that......
turn up the radio!

schorzy21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Occupation
Health Care
Country flag
Do you notice a big difference, when driving at highway speed, on different surfaces? i.e. old asphalt, new asphalt, concrete?

try turning off all climate control.... you may be hearing the cooling/heating pump. It will still come on for the battery if you garage is hot, but it will stop once you get moving.

Other than that......
turn up the radio!

When I first noticed the sound driving back from Seattle the first thing I assumed was that it was the tires reacting to road surface. It sounds like a mix between driving on groved concrete with big mud tires, a bad wheel bearing, and making a low pitch tone with a beer bottle. But the frequency of the tone is exactly the same no matter what the speed or surface it is. It was constant all the way home. It just gets much much louder at 70mph.

I did drive a lot yesterday troubleshooting. I taped up every crevice in the front of the car. I went through every setting combination I could. Nothing changes with climate control, 1PD, or drive modes.

I would use the radio but the sound doesn't get drowned out until the volume is at 18+ and that definitely doesn't work with passengers in the car or everyday driving. I like my tunes but I don't want to rock out everytime I get in the car.

The only thing that I was able to conclude is that the intensity of the sound varies by your position in the car. But the worst part about that is its the loudest in my default seating position.

kreamy333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e gtpe
Occupation
business owner
Country flag
I have the exact same issue in my GTPE. Always had and now after 8 months of ownership it has gotten a bit louder. It makes me want to trade it in too. It comes from the front passenger side wheel area and it sounds the loudest in the drivers seat just like yours. Oddly I test drove 3 different 2022 bmw x5s and they all had the same issue as my mach e.

schorzy21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Occupation
Health Care
Country flag
I have the exact same issue in my GTPE. Always had and now after 8 months of ownership it has gotten a bit louder. It makes me want to trade it in too. It comes from the front passenger side wheel area and it sounds the loudest in the drivers seat just like yours. Oddly I test drove 3 different 2022 bmw x5s and they all had the same issue as my mach e.
I am devastated to say it but I think that for this issue we are s.o.l. I just took mine into my dealers service dept to have a tech look at it and they could not find anything mechanically wrong. The tech absolutely admitted to hearing the sound but they have had limited experience with these cars in their service dept and didn't have any others on the lot to compare it to so they chalked it up to "road noise". From the limited number of unlucky drivers that are experiencing this issue we are all describing the same experience and I am convinced that we are all dealing with a vibration that is creating an audible resonant frequency. The NVH engineering of the the Mach-E is quite impressive from all of the research I have now done but I am guessing that this issue stems from an assembly variance. Something may be torqued incorrectly or our vehicles may have parts with slight manufacturing differences that are not as resistant to vibration. I have found that people with this issue have tried a lot of different solutions with no improvement. New wheels or tires, sound proofing/dampening material installed, removing the whole frunk, and nothing works. I am not sure what I am going to do myself but I know that I am not going to deal with this annoyance for the next 5-7 years that I intended to own this car, its unbearable and the solutions I am using now, propulsion sound on and my radio cranked up to drown out the sound it not a long term solution.
In conclusion, I fought exceptionally hard to get behind the wheel of this car for the last year, although, my confidence is now fractured. I love everything about it except this issue, but with no likely solution I am going to be looking hard at my decision to keep it or move on to something else.
Ford this is a real issue that is affecting this car and for us unlucky buyers out there dealing with it I hope that your engineering teams can find a solution.

Last edited:

JBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RWD SR
Country flag
I am devastated to say it but I think that for this issue we are s.o.l. I just took mine into my dealers service dept to have a tech look at it and they could not find anything mechanically wrong. The tech absolutely admitted to hearing the sound but they have had limited experience with these cars in their service dept and didn't have any others on the lot to compare it to so they chalked it up to "road noise". From the limited number of unlucky drivers that are experiencing this issue we are all describing the same experience and I am convinced that we are all dealing with a vibration that is creating an audible resonant frequency. The NVH engineering of the the Mach-E is quite impressive from all of the research I have now done but I am guessing that this issue stems from an assembly variance. Something may be torqued incorrectly or our vehicles may have parts with slight manufacturing differences that are not as resistant to vibration. I have found that people with this issue have tried a lot of different solutions with no improvement. New wheels or tires, sound proofing/dampening material installed, removing the whole frunk, and nothing works. I am not sure what I am going to do myself but I know that I am not going to deal with this annoyance for the next 5-7 years that I intended to own this car, its unbearable and the solutions I am using now, propulsion sound on and my radio cranked up to drown out the sound it not a long term solution.
In conclusion, I fought exceptionally hard to get behind the wheel of this car for the last year, although, my confidence is now fractured. I love everything about it except this issue, but with no likely solution I am going to be looking hard at my decision to keep it or move on to something else.
Ford this is a real issue that is affecting this car and for us unlucky buyers out there dealing with it I hope that your engineering teams can find a solution.
Oh finally more people with the same issue as I'm have since day 1 (july 2021)!

I've did all the same things you did but the damn annoying "fan" noise from the front is always there and indeed most clear on the drivers position. I also went back to the dealer which confirmed the noise but couldn't find anything out of order.

Pulling yourself up to the roof area worsens it, where it's less if you go down to steering height. I concluded it's def. road noise comming into the cabin from the front as it's by for the worst on rough open tarmac where the sound is almost, but never fully, gone on very smooth asphalt. As the sound comes "through the dash" I doubt that the double glazing would be of any effect at all.
It feels like the noise it transferred from the tire into the axel or springs or something else as its a very low frequent irritating noise which "fortunately" most people don't seem to hear or bother but it annoys the hell out of me each ride.

I tried 3 types of tires of which standard summer 225/18, winter 225/18 and special pirelli npcr (noise cancelling tires with foam on the inside) 245/20 but it's all the same regarding the noise.

My car is an SR RWD version and I drove another similar speced MME and it had the same noice however the ER RWD version I later drove hardly had this noise. It had exactly the same tires als my standard 225/18. I got the impression that the "bigger" battery might perhaps prevent the noise from the front better than the small battery due to it being larger (I guess...) but go no real "proof" for this idea.

I really enjoy the car but this noise, next to the too stiff springs, is really cancelling out most if not all the joy...
Sponsored