Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The recall is not about seals though, its about inadequate bonding.

Inadequate Panoramic Roof Glass Panel Bonding
A roof panel that separates from a vehicle can become a road hazard, increasing the risk of a crash or injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V712000

If you read it for its face value, then it implies the roof could come flying off, although I doubt its likely. Its for sure being written like this because of the comments made in the past from Ford. I mean common, who would pass taking a few shots at Ford after they made jokes about the exact problem they are in now.
Sponsored

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I'm sorry - why are people upset about a recall? Doesn't that mean it's an admittance of failure? Would you rather the failure go unnoticed and ignored? (ala Ford DPS6 transmission)

I'm just glad we didn't have actual roofs/bumpers flying/falling off before a recall was announced.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I'm sorry - why are people upset about a recall? Doesn't that mean it's an admittance of failure? Would you rather the failure go unnoticed and ignored? (ala Ford DPS6 transmission)

I'm just glad we didn't have actual roofs/bumpers flying/falling off before a recall was announced.
maybe we can get a recall for the failed "moose" test..

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
There are no roofs falling off, the Mach-E is better built, has better range, is more affordable, has more room and Faster than the Tesla Model Y. Thats why they are upset.
Well, just edit out that faster part and I think you’re ok. Haha

Barno

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Maybe they will provide 3 years free EA charging credits as a show of good will to all the early adopters affected by the recall.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
If I had a dollar for every Mach-E roof that came off, I'd have... well... zero dollars.
There's an easy solution for those pesky flying roofs! :p

flyingroofs.com

Or ...

Brief the salespeople! Make it a feature! Sadly though, it'd be a failure, as Ford's roofs have not actually flown.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
It's not trying to help anyone, but, Ford came out with this car, bragged about it's quality, how it's better than some other company, and now in typical Ford fashion, we have a world-wide recall on the car.

Ford, your words, cook them, and savor the taste as you eat them.
Ford is doing the safe thing. The response we want from all manufacturers. When an issue is identified, as in this case, before any incidents occur.....undertake the action necessary to address the problem. Not all manufacturers behave this way.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I heard about this this a while back, before all the press yesterday.

It's nice it's being done before any actual roofs fell off or accidents occurred. Compared to the Chevy Bolt recall, which has burned 20 cars so far I think, I'm not concerned about this roof thing since this doesn't even affect anyone waiting on the car or recently received the car. I'm still more concerned with the battery and hope they don't increase the range in the 2022, but make the car have a higher chance to spontaneous catch fire (Mach-e uses LG Chem pouch cells who also produced batteries for the Bolt). Hope they're different enough with different QA processes.

I'm still waiting for GM to resolve my Bolt issue.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I haven't read a single thing about roofs flying off, only that the seals aren't great and some cracked. This isn't the only outlet to say this either. My wife called me after hearing it on WTOP (a local news radio here) that said the same thing
Fake news , don't you know that in the US ?

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
False news , don't you know that in the US ?
Yes, I know its false news and I live the horror that false news ravages on our citizens every day

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm still more concerned with the battery and hope they don't increase the range in the 2022, but make the car have a higher chance to spontaneous catch fire (Mach-e uses LG Chem pouch cells who also produced batteries for the Bolt). Hope they're different enough with different QA processes.
Fortunately, the NHTSA has sent LG a letter requesting a list of all cars their batteries are used on and the QC process information for all those battery factories as well.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It's not trying to help anyone, but, Ford came out with this car, bragged about it's quality, how it's better than some other company, and now in typical Ford fashion, we have a world-wide recall on the car.

Ford, your words, cook them, and savor the taste as you eat them.
Except that Ford is issuing a recall to improve safety before a safety problem has been experienced by drivers. To my knowledge, no Mach E roofs have flown off. Despite that, Ford is doing the right thing. Tesla roofs were flying off and bumpers falling off and customers were having to fight Tesla to get it fixed under warranty.
Sponsored