Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
  • Banned
I am trying to find out if I can put "run flat" tires on the Mustang Mach E GT Performance model that comes with Summer Pirelli 245/45R20 tires.
Sponsored

Dnorwood98

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Gray AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Education/Healthcare
Country flag
I am trying to find out if I can put "run flat" tires on the Mustang Mach E GT Performance model that comes with Summer Pirelli 245/45R20 tires.
That would depend on the load rating of the tire. If the load rating is high enough, I wouldn't see why not.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Better asked at a GOOD tire store where they'll actually find the right answer.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Be aware the run-flats weigh more than regular tires, and that weight is distributed at the outer part of the wheel. This will adversely affect range because of the increased inertia.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
EV-specific tires are also designed with sound dampening. You'll probably lose that and pick up more road noise when driving if you switch to run flats.

Mayesc1

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Energy Manager
Country flag
I am wondering the same thing. Probably for a different reason. I have a bad habit of hitting curbs. My depth perception is a bit questionable. It would probably come out cheaper is I get eye surgery. With a good tire warranty I have only had to pay for one tire in the last 7 years.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
ModernSpare.com offers a spare tire kit. Not cheap but if you need one on a trip you've got it.

bobh

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang MachE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
ModernSpare.com offers a spare tire kit. Not cheap but if you need one on a trip you've got it.
I took delivery of my spare tire kit from Modern last month. The tire takes up some room in the rear, but on some of my road trips to remote areas of New England I feel better knowing I can change a tire if necessary.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I am wondering the same thing. Probably for a different reason. I have a bad habit of hitting curbs. My depth perception is a bit questionable. It would probably come out cheaper is I get eye surgery. With a good tire warranty I have only had to pay for one tire in the last 7 years.
With the front of this car as low as it is, a tire isn't going to be the only thing you might need to replace.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I took delivery of my spare tire kit from Modern last month. The tire takes up some room in the rear, but on some of my road trips to remote areas of New England I feel better knowing I can change a tire if necessary.
I've got one for our Y and wouldn't leave home without it on a road trip. Otherwise it sits in the garage.

I"ll get one for the Mach e too if we start doing road trips in it (when I get it).

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Iā€™m guessing itā€™s too big, but is the Modern Spare kit sized such that it could fit in the frunk?

bobh

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang MachE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Iā€™m guessing itā€™s too big, but is the Modern Spare kit sized such that it could fit in the frunk?
No. The jack and lug wrench fir in the frunk, but the tire has to go in the back. You gain a little space if you lower the back deck and I wrap the tire in a large plastic bag. I only place in the car if I am going to on a long trip to somewhat remote areas. I really do to want to change a flat if I do not have to.

babgvant

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Be aware the run-flats weigh more than regular tires, and that weight is distributed at the outer part of the wheel. This will adversely affect range because of the increased inertia.
There should also be an impact to comfort and handling due to the stiffer sidewalls.

I replaced the summer tires with 245/45ZR-20 Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus XL. So far very pleased with them.
Sponsored