DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
In my mind the trick question is: "Is the fluid contaminated?" Not really possible to know if the fluid has picked up water just by looking. I used to check this -- the process uses a strip like a pregnancy test -- but now I just change per maintenance schedule. Silly lazy me! LOL

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
That was inspired. Never thought of it.

The brake fluid interval seems a little short.
IIRC the brake fluid replacement interval on the MME is a little longer than in the Leaf. I think it’s due to operation of the Regen.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I spent some time fishing through the in-car owner manual. Not very impressed at this point. I hope it gets more attention. A lot of the topics are very light on details.

I wanted to know what to do when the 12V battery dies, but it simply says to bring the car to the dealer to have the battery replaced. I wanted a lot more details, for instance about how to use the front bumper wires to open the hood, how to access the battery, how to replace it, battery requirements, etc.

I did locate the maintenance schedule, so here you go:

PXL_20201030_221831864.jpg

PXL_20201030_221834929.jpg

PXL_20201030_222028580.MP.jpg

PXL_20201030_222038564.jpg
That’s seriously minimal maintenance.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Thanks for the details - Interesting it talks about checking spare tire as well :)
That needs to be fixed and have a check of the air pump and flat fix. IIRC the flat fix is good for 4 years. That’s in a screen up front.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I spent some time fishing through the in-car owner manual. Not very impressed at this point. I hope it gets more attention. A lot of the topics are very light on details.

I wanted to know what to do when the 12V battery dies, but it simply says to bring the car to the dealer to have the battery replaced. I wanted a lot more details, for instance about how to use the front bumper wires to open the hood, how to access the battery, how to replace it, battery requirements, etc.

I did locate the maintenance schedule, so here you go:

PXL_20201030_221831864.jpg
Back on this discussion of Ford recommending changing the Mach E's brake fluid every 3 years. I was just looking at this on my Nissan Leaf. Nissan calls for the Leaf's brake fluid to be replaced at 30,000 miles and every 15,000 after that -- more than twice the frequency Ford recommends.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Back on this discussion of Ford recommending changing the Mach E's brake fluid every 3 years. I was just looking at this on my Nissan Leaf. Nissan calls for the Leaf's brake fluid to be replaced at 30,000 miles and every 15,000 after that -- more than twice the frequency Ford recommends.
that's interesting to me and I wonder why the difference - it's not like brake fluid is a new concept where we're figuring out how it works... it's not even like EV/regen braking is a new concept.
Sponsored