RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
So I got my Mustang Mach E (Maya Mustang) about 48 hours ago. I have been so busy with work I haven't had a ton of time to spend with the car, getting to know her, other than about a 200 mile round trip today for work. Here are my thoughts because this is the internet, therefore everyone has an opinion.

1. I was going 70+ and I was getting 3.0 miles/kWh. The range meter was not counting down as fast as the odometer was counting up, so the range figures really did make me feel confident in how things were going to go. No surprises.
  2. The adaptive cruise and lane keep are really nice. I will say either the car likes to be further to the right in the lane than I usually do, or I might have a tendency to hug the left side of the lane. I felt pretty far over to the right side of the lane a few times, but that was good to make me give just enough wheel input to make it know I was holding on.
  3. Plug and Charge failed. I stopped at an Electrify America with a bunch of chargers, just to see how it all went. I plugged in to 4 separate chargers and failed. At each one, I plugged in, it churned for a few seconds, and told me unplug and try again. On the second time it would bring up a billing screen. If I tried to pay with my CC, it still failed to charge. Based on a post by someone on here, I turned off Plug and Charge in the Fordpass app, and then things worked correctly with a Credit Card. I charged from 46% to 55% and I was getting 65-70kw for that time, so I am pretty happy with that. I did smell a bit of a burning smell towards the end. Is that normal? I did drive it another 70 miles after that issue free, so I am hoping that was battery heaters or something burning off dust for the first time?
Overall I am thrilled with the car. We are going on a much longer trip tomorrow, and we still haven't decided if we will take my MME, or my wife's CX-5. ABRP says I would stop twice for about 20 minute charges on highway 81 new Roanoke, VA. Both charge stops show activity within the past week or so on plugshare, so I am leaning towards doing it. But, we will have a 2 year old that doesn't always love long stretches in the car seat in the car. If he isn't doing well, and we run into a bad fast charge situation, it might make for a really crappy drive. It may be a game time decision in the morning
Sponsored

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I don't think I could drive an ICE vehicle after buying a BEV. Actually, I know I can't.

So I'd be taking the trip in the Mach-E.

OP
OP
RVAtom

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I guess we are going to try it out. I took the frunk divider out tonight and installed the Electrify America App and got my credit card in there.

I also installed our better car seat in there that is usually in my wife's car. I think there may be more room in the passenger's seat in front of the car seat in the MME than there is in her CX-5. That could be a useful data point.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I guess we are going to try it out. I took the frunk divider out tonight and installed the Electrify America App and got my credit card in there.

I also installed our better car seat in there that is usually in my wife's car. I think there may be more room in the passenger's seat in front of the car seat in the MME than there is in her CX-5. That could be a useful data point.
I'll be testing out the Brugh's Mill (Roanoke) station today myself since I'll be heading up to NoVA tomorrow and haven't done a DC charge on mine yet. I believe that station is pretty active, so hopefully shouldn't have many issues. Saw where an EA employee stopped at it a little while back.

OP
OP
RVAtom

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I'll be testing out the Brugh's Mill (Roanoke) station today myself since I'll be heading up to NoVA tomorrow and haven't done a DC charge on mine yet. I believe that station is pretty active, so hopefully shouldn't have many issues. Saw where an EA employee stopped at it a little while back.
We will be at Brug's Mill today too. Let's hope we both have good luck there.

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
The adaptive cruise and lane keep are really nice. I will say either the car likes to be further to the right in the lane than I usually do, or I might have a tendency to hug the left side of the lane. I felt pretty far over to the right side of the lane a few times, but that was good to make me give just enough wheel input to make it know I was holding on.
I feel the same thing about the lane keep assist, too much to the right side, especially when driving in the left lane.

OP
OP
RVAtom

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Update after what I will call a wildly successful road trip. We drove from Richmond, VA to Kingsport, TN and back, and just a little around town in Kingsport. The odometer now has a little over 900 miles, after picking it up last Tuesday with 20.

I've already done more DC fast charging than I thought I would do in the first year. There are some quirks I think, but overally it works pretty well. I think the hardest part is getting your car pull in with just the right position to keep the charging cable from flexing against the plug/socket. I had a couple faults where I think the issue was the cable being twisted or something.

The car was really nice to drive both on the interstate and around town. I love the adaptive cruise and the lane keeping assist. Also, the numbers on paper make it look way closer between my wife's CX-5 and the MME. In reality I think the interior of the MME is bigger in meaningful ways that paid off for this trip. Most importantly, with a rear facing child seat behind the passenger's seat, I still had room to sit in the passenger seat and have knee room. On her CX-5, my 6'4" frame has my knees wedged tight against the glovebox door if I am riding shotgun.

Also, at least in this mild weather, my wife said it was really pleasant in the back with the glass roof. It was still plenty dark, but nice to be able to see out. We will see if she thinks the same still in July/August when we go to the beach.
Sponsored