Should I Install The Ford Hood Protector? Opinions Please!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I ordered this from Ford and used temporary tape to attach it to the car. I am not sure I like how it looks. What do you think?

From a part perspective, the material is thin and breaks easily. In fact, I forgot to remove it after taking these pictures and it shattered when it fell off. Of course I was driving out of my neighborhood at the time, so maybe I am being too critical. But I wonder how it will handle a big rock. Will it crack?

It is applied using 3M tape, which looks similar to the kind of tape used to attached spoilers so I think it will stay on when properly attached. If you decide to remove it later, like when it gets cracked with a rock, it might be hard to get off.

It is really not a deflector, and does not stick up like some I have seen. It lays very flat against the hood, so it should not have any noticeable impact on aerodynamics.

So, do you like how it looks? Should I order another one and really attach it this time?

51936453633_c3eef7e6b7_o.jpg

51962894536_05b1ff2b57_o.jpg

51936453638_fd91172b40_o.jpg

51936990895_f861826086_o.jpg

Caliroute1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Occupation
Operations Manager
Country flag
Honestly. I had something like it on my Ecosport. It seemed to help protect the car but I didn’t care for how it did not cover the fender also. I ordered this and the door rain covers. I ended up returning all of it. Looked crappie to me.

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Unless one likes the looks / it improves not sure I see the point of protectors like this on anything.

Example: Get a new phone special edition color and put it in a case that covers it up so it looks like every other phone would be an analogy. Protected that special edition color but never enjoy it.

If you like the looks of the protector great, but if it takes away from the looks of the MME to you and you still want to protect the hood maybe look into that pfp clear stuff? I think doing just the front bumper and hood is $1500 or so though, so likely a different price point than the part you have there.

kkriskal

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I just have the paint protection film installed for the front, it does protect from rock chips as well. It will be more expensive than the deflector you have but it will look good.

Mach_Enrique

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting; 2021 Mach E GT;2018 Subaru WRX STI
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I just have the paint protection film installed for the front, it does protect from rock chips as well. It will be more expensive than the deflector you have but it will look good.
Agree with above. Especially if you intend to keep the car more than 3 years, go with full hood PPF (or front partial if budget constraints...I cheaped out on our other vehicle and two months later...rock chip above the partial PPF). It is more expensive but it will do a better job of protection and look good.

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have noticed a few rock dings on my hood, and all are above where the protector would be installed. So up to now, 6,000 miles approx, it would not have protected anything. It does a good job of covering the leading edge, though. On previous cars that edge does get damaged over time.

kungfutea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 DMG MME
Country flag
Thanks for the post! This is probably one of the first review of the OEM hood deflector. It does stick out on a white MME, not sure if it will look better on darker colors. With that said, I would buy it if it was clear/transparent. A date point for PPF installation in SoCal, 500ish for the bumper only and 2k for the full front, ouch!

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Since you are asking, it’s a no go for me. That looks horrible. I’d rather have rock chips. That messes the lines of the car up pretty bad. Very 1980’s truck also.

Edit: rereading MachEMaster unibrow comment above, I can’t unsee that now….

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Looks like crap on any vehicle IMO. I have a rock chip also. Life.

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Universally hated.

By the way, it uses tape to attach so you would be able to see the tape if it was clear. So they won't be making this one clear.
Sponsored