solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
So right now due to some issues I don't have home charging. My only access is to public charging, notably a Volta charger that is 9.6kw

Am I better off charging every time I can (I seem to get like 10-12% in my 2 hours of charge) or will that damage the battery if I charge it too often? I don't want to run it too low because with how slow the charging is I'd probably never get it back to something reasonable. Or should I just suck it up and wait till its low and drive to a 150kw charger to just top it off?
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It won’t hurt anything to do frequent level 2 charges for a couple hours at a time. That’s actually probably healthier for the battery than DC fast charging.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
So right now due to some issues I don't have home charging. My only access is to public charging, notably a Volta charger that is 9.6kw

Am I better off charging every time I can (I seem to get like 10-12% in my 2 hours of charge) or will that damage the battery if I charge it too often? I don't want to run it too low because with how slow the charging is I'd probably never get it back to something reasonable. Or should I just suck it up and wait till its low and drive to a 150kw charger to just top it off?
L2 charging is always less stressful than L3 charging. It is always less stressful to keep the state of charge in the "middle range" than at either end. That said, I have not seen (much?) data from actual owners on the battery temperature during charging on any EV charger. I personally would not drive to a L3 charger to just top it off unless you needed the extra distance to make it to the next charger during road tripping.

OP
OP

solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
L2 charging is always less stressful than L3 charging. It is always less stressful to keep the state of charge in the "middle range" than at either end. That said, I have not seen (much?) data from actual owners on the battery temperature during charging on any EV charger. I personally would not drive to a L3 charger to just top it off unless you needed the extra distance to make it to the next charger during road tripping.
I am actually going on a roadtrip next weekend so I was debating if I should go to the Level 2 charger a couple times next week or just wait until before I leave and grab the Level 3 for one long charge

Think I might just try the Level 2 this time and before the next road trip go the Level 3 and see how that works
Sponsored