unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I've been noticing during the last few charges dips while the car is charging with my Grizzl-E Smart and I was wondering if people noticed the same thing with the Grizzl-E or other EVSE.

Thanks!

Here are a few examples:

At 40 amps
Ford Mustang Mach-E Level 2 Charging Dips 1631189936748

Ford Mustang Mach-E Level 2 Charging Dips 1631190071995

I had to downgrade to 32 amps due to the electrician passing 8/3 wire instead of 6/3 until he comes to swap the wire. I've noticed the same behavior there as well:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Level 2 Charging Dips 1631190092429

I'm also curious about this curve where you can see the charge dropping from 32 amps to around 6-7 to finish. Note that I'm currently set to charging to 90% SoC.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Level 2 Charging Dips 1631190168004

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
What is the unit of timestamp on your x-axis? Is it minutes, seconds, etc?

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
It happens on level 2 with my Chargepoint 32A too. It's the car taking a break for a few minutes. I have not charged enough to determine regularity.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have a chargepoint, and I haven't ever seen this behavior. Although I think the chargepoint only refreshes every 5 minutes so its possible it happens and doesn't get recorded on their graphs.

This is what all my charges look like. Solid at a bit over 11kw. If I do a full charge to 100% you'll see it dip as it nears 100%.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Level 2 Charging Dips Screenshot_20210909-085235_ChargePoint

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The ChargePoint app doesn't sample quickly enough to catch this, but I see the same behavior when looking at my power usage in the Sense app. Interestingly enough, I also seem the same exact behavior when charging the RAV4 Prime with the Pulsar Plus. Maybe all EVs do this?

OP
OP
unhandled

unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The ChargePoint app doesn't sample quickly enough to catch this, but I see the same behavior when looking at my power usage in the Sense app. Interestingly enough, I also seem the same exact behavior when charging the RAV4 Prime with the Pulsar Plus. Maybe all EVs do this?
Thanks for sharing your experience about that.

I find odd to see sharp dips like that. I would expect thermal throttling from the BMS to be a little softer or to manage that more proactively. If it's thermal related, it would be weird that it would recover/fix that condition within a minute or so.

Not a a problem in practice for me but I still find that strange. Does that happen with level 3 charging as well?

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The dip at the end of the charge will be when the cells are near the set voltage and are balancing. If you go to 100% you do not want any cells going above the maximum voltage, typically 4.2V. With the battery buffer in the Mach E it may be a lower voltage than that, or when you set the target charge to less than 100% it will also be lower.

OP
OP
unhandled

unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a chargepoint, and I haven't ever seen this behavior. Although I think the chargepoint only refreshes every 5 minutes so its possible it happens and doesn't get recorded on their graphs.

This is what all my charges look like. Solid at a bit over 11kw. If I do a full charge to 100% you'll see it dip as it nears 100%.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Level 2 Charging Dips Screenshot_20210909-085235_ChargePoint
FYI I did get charging sessions where the current delivered was more stable.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Level 2 Charging Dips 1631203971591

but it doesn't seem constant.

i.e. the following seems to show dips at fairly regular interval. Could it be time based?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Level 2 Charging Dips 1631204071308

OP
OP
unhandled

unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The dip at the end of the charge will be when the cells are near the set voltage and are balancing. If you go to 100% you do not want any cells going above the maximum voltage, typically 4.2V. With the battery buffer in the Mach E it may be a lower voltage than that, or when you set the target charge to less than 100% it will also be lower.
From what I'm seeing in the different charge sessions, this seems to happen at different SoC levels. I also don't go above 90% SoC.

You do bring good insights still.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
No, there should not be periodic dropouts. Only the ramping down above 80%.

Curious if you folks with dropouts have had any of the powertrain update TSBs done or not? This could be a software issue with the SOBDM. Getting the cooling fan noise TSB done would ensure you have the latest software and we could see if that changes any behavior.

The EVSE being flaky is also a possibility. Since you have Sense, I'd try the mobile charger and see if it does it still or not.

OP
OP
unhandled

unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Curious if you folks with dropouts have had any of the powertrain update TSBs done or not? This could be a software issue with the SOBDM. Getting the cooling fan noise TSB done would ensure you have the latest software and we could see if that changes any behavior.

The EVSE being flaky is also a possibility. Since you have Sense, I'd try the mobile charger and see if it does it still or not.
Good point about the fan TSB. On my end no TSBs were done after delivery (which happened at the end of July). I received the 1.4, 1.6 Power Ups but that's it.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Automotive nomenclature is rapidly changing from oil viscosity, rpm's and octane to amps, current and wire gauge.

ncaadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
just want to add my experience here as well. look at this curve. noticed this the other day. has only happened once

Ford Mustang Mach-E Level 2 Charging Dips 1631279520619

I didn't really think much of it because I see this most regularly.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Level 2 Charging Dips 1631279658467

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

I have an appointment for the fan TSB next week, so that hasn't been done yet.

But I'm seeing the same behavior with a completely different car using a completely different EVSE, so I don't think either of those could be the cause. It doesn't increase the charging time or seem to cause any issues, so I'm wondering if other people with a way to monitor their power usage in realtime would see the same thing. Like I said, I don't see these dips in the ChargePoint app at all because they only last for a few seconds and ChargPoint only samples every few minutes.
Sponsored