62Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Country flag
The GT variant has was always planned as a staggered launch post the non GT variants. As for performance, prepare to be surprised. The GT performance is going to be a real performance vehicle , not just a 0-60 drag car but a track beast as well. Think GT350R and Gt500. There also going to be a special "thing" that's unannounced and will def cause jaws to drop. That's all I can share.
Agree with Ace, makes me think we might be seeing some testing for this: https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/mustang/201971/ford-plans-a-hot-mustang-mach-e-shelby

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Another thought: Perhaps the "normal" Mach-E's also have all that cooling. Not for going down the road but for eliminating heat during 150kW charging.

That is the thing: EVs are different. People use their experience with ICE vehicles and think "ooh extra cooling for going fast" and that really isn't the case. Fast charging creates a lot more heat than hard driving does (and in different areas of the car). Granted the motors will heat up during hard driving but that is such a small localized area compared to the size of the battery.

Every time I've fast charged a Bolt its made a heck of a racket as every fan in the car comes on (I think even the HVAC comes on inside the car for all the noise it makes)--and thats only 60kW.

Last edited:

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
I wonder if they‘re planning to run that at the Pikes Peak Hillclimb at the end of August. EVs have an advantage there...though they’ll need more than those modifications to top VW’s EV record.

RunningHorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I'd love to know what you know! :)

Yeah, staggered launch for sure but to go from Spring 2021 to Late Summer 2021 means they've added a bit of extra time. They're up to something and I bet you dollars to donuts it's gonna be good.
The only thing I can say is that the internal name for this project is being referred to as "Dark Horse". I wish I can share more but I can't and even I don't know all the details.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The only thing I can say is that the internal name for this project is "Dark Horse". I wish I can share more but I can't and even I don't know all the details.
you tease!

Thopter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO
Country flag
This, and the winter hooning video give me hope this will be a suitable replacement for my RS. Hope it's not too long of a wait after the standard GT is released.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Hope it's not too long of a wait after the standard GT is released.
Or better yet, my hope is that this is related to the Performance option for the GT, and that the option is available for GTs right away -- not after the "standard"/non-Performance are produced first.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
This may be a stupid question, as I’m not as knowledgeable as a lot on here, but with the GT, and in particular it’s Magnaride suspension, will ford be able to offer us party trick drive modes as OTAs? For example you could download a 67 Shelby GT and Mach-E will then drive, handle and sound like that model Shelby. Can Magnaride be tuned digitally?

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
This may be a stupid question, as I’m not as knowledgeable as a lot on here, but with the GT, and in particular it’s Magnaride suspension, will ford be able to offer us party trick drive modes as OTAs? For example you could download a 67 Shelby GT and Mach-E will then drive, handle and sound like that model Shelby. Can Magnaride be tuned digitally?
Magnaride can be tuned to have various settings, all depends on how many modes they want to setup so potentially it could under fall under OTA if ford have set it up that way.

I am sure there is plenty of potential with the drive train for various modes with the GT to cover the marketing check boxes, I think the drift mode in the focus RS is pointless, then again I can't stand all the artificial pops n bangs from the exhaust either. However I can see plenty of people liking such features so I suspect in time we will get the EV equivalents, If the GT handles like all good fords in that it feels like the pivots and rotates around the center then anything on top will be a bonus.

Having said with the mustang name I guess the GT will need a crash when leaving cars n coffee due to poor handling mode to live up to the name lol.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
Cheers for that @buzznwood

So there is potential for some cool party tricks down the line... that could be quite fun.

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Having said with the mustang name I guess the GT will need a crash when leaving cars n coffee due to poor handling mode to live up to the name lol.
?;)

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
NCCAR track, eh? Kyle Connor from Out of Spec Motoring is well aware of what that Mach-E is then and
The view from above:
north carolina road course from above.jpg
Not sure someone just wandered onto/near the test track
north carolina site plan.jpg
Kyle Connor from Out of Spec Motoring (this is his track) had some interesting things to say and not say about the video.

Blitz118

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford Edge ST
Country flag
The only thing I can say is that the internal name for this project is being referred to as "Dark Horse". I wish I can share more but I can't and even I don't know all the details.
Is this a separate project from the GT or part of the GT?
Sponsored