Spring Break Road Trip Detroit to Orange Beach, AL - with data

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
About 2,100 miles round trip taking our 2 teenage boys and the wife on spring break from NE Metro Detroit to Orange Beach, AL (just east of Gulf Shores, AL). Temps were in the mid-40s when we left home. Temps around mid-50s in KY and low 60s in TN and low-mid 70s in AL. Cabin temp set to 68 Auto 1 until we go into AL when the air conditioning kicked on so we raised the temp to 70 Auto 1. Coming home on Friday the 8th and Saturday 9th there was a 15-20 mph wind from the west (side not head or tail wind). Speed was managed using ACC almost the whole time and 75 mph max.

TeslaTap was awesome to use (glad I bought the tube of silicone cause it's a tight fit), got us 2 free charges at hotels on the trip. All DC charges were at Electrify America locations. All charges were flawless, no errors or interrupted sessions. Just plug in, tap my apple wallet EA Pass+ membership on the RFID and charge up.

The >32 minute stops were for lunch/dinner. We charged up extra long at the end of day 2 because there was no charging available at the condo for the time we were in Orange Beach. We had plenty of charge for local driving.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Spring Break Road Trip Detroit to Orange Beach, AL - with data 1649607702082

Hotel charge using TeslaTap
Ford Mustang Mach-E Spring Break Road Trip Detroit to Orange Beach, AL - with data 4657510C-3F66-4308-9219-AFB7F608035F

Frunk came in handy for laptops, camera bag and exercise equipment.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Spring Break Road Trip Detroit to Orange Beach, AL - with data FBBED6C2-2726-4F4A-B2A9-EFD6DC4D51E5

Still had room to spare in the trunk.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Spring Break Road Trip Detroit to Orange Beach, AL - with data 3B51FDEC-2F43-422B-B962-378E3236C36B

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Sorry you had to stay in a Tru...

Why did you get on the Ohio Turnpike and charge at Wyandot? That's a big detour.

You should be able to make it from home to Huber Heights. If not, add some charge at the Chevy dealer in Toledo, or the ChargePoint at the Apollo Career Center in Lima, Ohio. We did that on the way down (Chevy dealer), but on the way home we went from Huber Heights at 95% to our house and got home with 12%. You can EA in Ypsilanti also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hybrid2bev

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Sorry you had to stay in a Tru...

Why did you get on the Ohio Turnpike and charge at Wyandot? That's a big detour.

You should be able to make it from home to Huber Heights. If not, add some charge at the Chevy dealer in Toledo, or the ChargePoint at the Apollo Career Center in Lima, Ohio. We did that on the way down (Chevy dealer), but on the way home we went from Huber Heights at 95% to our house and got home with 12%. You can EA in Ypsilanti also.
To make it from home to Huber I would need about 260 miles of range to have enough buffer. At 40 degrees outside that was not going to happen unless we drove much slower. If it was in the 60s-70s then I would have gone for it. The wife was iffy to start this road trip with my car, so any road bump would have been disaster. Having multiple EA fast chargers at Wyandot made it a safer bet than the single (and slower) chargers at a dealership or the Lima technical center. The EA in Ypsi would be further out of our way (we're on the far east side) than scooting one exit over to Wyandot charging, getting off at the next exit then cutting south and west cross country back to 75.
Sponsored