Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Maybe I'm misreading the situation, but maybe the guy is just making friendly conversation? I don't get the outrage.
Completely agree. It's a new car with limited advertising. No need to be smug when people who haven't been on this forum for a year and don't read auto blogs know little to nothing about the Mach E.

Being outraged is a little bit ... outrageous.
Sponsored

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Completely agree. It's a new car with limited advertising. No need to be smug when people who haven't been on this forum for a year and don't read auto blogs know little to nothing about the Mach E.

Probably what he meant to say was "What made you choose this over a Tesla?" People are, well, human, and don't always say exactly what they mean to say in the moment. Last week, I told someone to have a great weekend at the end of a phone conversation on Tuesday - dammit.

When I told a neighbor I had ordered one, they asked me if I ordered the automatic so my wife could drive it. There is still a lot of education that needs to be done on these. For the most part, I figure the more people hear about these, and electric cars in general, the more people will start shopping them. As long as they are polite, I will try to be an ambassador for the Mach E specifically, and EVs in general. But, the Toyota hybrid driver, ughh....

Last edited:

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Great story. I guess they will not be buying one anytime soon.

FYI my dealer now has two that went unsold so guess what?? They added a $5,000 ADM.
And your dealer will get the $5000 adm on those unsold MME's.

Probably Tim.

I'm a bit jaded though from the things tourists will say to me in places like grocery stores demanding to know why everything is so expensive. On an Island. On an island in the most isolated archipelago in the world. And then argue with your answer. So ..

When people say odd things like that. I tend to take them at face value now and just slowly back away.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
And your dealer will get the $5000 adm on those unsold MME's.

Probably Tim.

I'm a bit jaded though from the things tourists will say to me in places like grocery stores demanding to know why everything is so expensive. On an Island. On an island in the most isolated archipelago in the world. And then argue with your answer. So ..

When people say odd things like that. I tend to take them at face value now and just slowly back away.
Sure, I can see that being frustrating - but it's a little bit different with a brand new car whose badge is completely contradictory with what that badge meant for 55 years.

I've been on the other side. My dad was a civilian employee of the army in the late 60's into the late 70's. We were stationed on an army base outside of Stuttgart, and we were always traveling throughout europe. At that time the phrase "ugly american" was probably well earned, and generally people were cordial but you could tell many of them didn't like us just because we were americans. Being aware of that, my dad drilled into us to be polite and respectful. He also learned german fluently (as well as passable phrases in other languages).

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Sure, I can see that being frustrating - but it's a little bit different with a brand new car whose badge is completely contradictory with what that badge meant for 55 years.

I've been on the other side. My dad was a civilian employee of the army in the late 60's into the late 70's. We were stationed on an army base outside of Stuttgart, and we were always traveling throughout europe. At that time the phrase "ugly american" was probably well earned, and generally people were cordial but you could tell many of them didn't like us just because we were americans. Being aware of that, my dad drilled into us to be polite and respectful. He also learned german fluently (as well as passable phrases in other languages).
I agree. No need to be disrespectful at all. When a tourist (back when we had loads of them) is complaining about prices to me, I generally explain the reality of the situation. They're shopping in Safeway for starters. In a state where everything is shipped in. Yadda Yadda. Or I'll explain just what mochi flour is when asked. Why they're asking me is another question altogether.

When the inevitable what is this car questions arise. I'll tell them. They may regret asking though as I've been on the forum for a looooooong time. :p

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I'm a bit jaded though from the things tourists will say to me in places like grocery stores demanding to know why everything is so expensive. On an Island. On an island in the most isolated archipelago in the world. And then argue with your answer.
My favorite Alaska stupid question from tourists who have just driven to Alaska thru Canada: "Do you take American money here?"

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Maybe I'm misreading the situation, but maybe the guy is just making friendly conversation? I don't get the outrage.
You didn't say, okay, cut your profit as the cost of lying then i'll take it.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Probably what he meant to say was "What made you choose this over a Tesla?" People are, well, human, and don't always say exactly what they mean to say in the moment. Last week, I told someone to have a great weekend at the end of a phone conversation on Tuesday - dammit.

When I told a neighbor I had ordered one, they asked me if I ordered the automatic so my wife could drive it. There is still a lot of education that needs to be done on these. For the most part, I figure the more people hear about these, and electric cars in general, the more people will start shopping them. As long as they are polite, I will try to be an ambassador for the Mach E specifically, and EVs in general. But, the Toyota hybrid driver, ughh....
There will be a lot of people who equate Tesla and all electric cars as the same thing. Like hoover is the name for a vacuum cleaner.

Let's get out and educate that true electric horse power comes from a Mustang.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Lol don't question your reservation on account of Smug. We're a long way past the South Park days of the Prius being the newest and basically only option for lowering your car's individual CO2 emissions ?

Living in California we see more EVs than anywhere else stateside, and I can say with 100% confidence I've only ever experienced EV owners being excited to talk about their cars and how great they are, basically trying to make converts of those afraid of things like fires and range and cost, etc. I should know as I've got about half a dozen friends with Teslas and peppered then with questions lol. If anything I feel like BEV owners just want everyone to have them, which undercuts the idea of being smug about it (except perhaps for those that'll be getting the $150k cars coming out soon lol).

I've gotten nothing but positive responses and even had a 20 minute conversation with a Tesla owner that parked next to me. When he mentioned wanting to get his 16 year old son an EV but didn't want to spend the money, half the conversation ended up be being me telling him how Chevy is basically giving away the Bolt right now (seriously, I saw deal for $110 down and $107 a month lol). For all the competition between manufacturers and people trying to tout the BEVs they've purchased over others, in the end I think a huge percentage are just happy to see other BEVs on the road - some of the most ardent Tesla fanboys notwithstanding ?

PS71

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Country flag
So much outrage because someone asked about your car. Maybe try to be an ambassador for Ford and the Mach-E. What's interesting about this exchange with the OP, is that the other guy knew about Tesla. Tesla doesn't advertise. However, Ford does advertise a lot, yet he knew about Tesla. No need to get all high and mighty. Tesla's YouTube generation sells the cars better than any corporate advertising could ever do (referral programs help). All you need to do is look at Consumers Reports "Ownership Satisfaction" and Tesla is #1 for a reason.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
wow, so much outrage over so much... non-outrage.

let's revisit what happened here, going back to the thread start. Someone was asked - paraphrased to make the point clear - "did you like the car you bought more than the car you didn't?", and politely answered it.

After that, on this forum - a forum about the car the person bought - there were people - including me - who - in that specific context - pointed out that such a question isn't the brightest of questions.

And somehow pointing out that - let me repeat the question - "did you like the car you bought more than the car you didn't?" isn't exactly an Einstein-level question... makes those of us that - and let me repeat this a third time with an extra bit of detail - "did you like the $60,000 car you bought more than the one you didn't?"... found humor in that ... "smug?"

welp. guess I'm smug.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
again - he wasn't a jerk about it. He wasn't smug about it.

and again - the question wasn't "do you regret your purchase?" it was "did you buy the one you liked more?" Bringing up regret is moving the goalposts.

All of you getting all worked up are at this point deliberately misinterpreting what happened here in the interests of tearing down the OP and those of us agreeing with the OP. Talk about "smug." ?????
Sponsored