Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I logged into FordPass via website and it has a few more items than last time I checked. Some is useful info. Still don't see the ability to lock or unlock, remote start, edit charge schedules or departure times so that is unfortunate. Hopefully that is coming soon....

It seems to have a funny way of calculating my range on the website version.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Submit Your FordPass App Feedback to Ford 1617307228640
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I logged into FordPass via website and it has a few more items than last time I checked. Some is useful info. Still don't see the ability to lock or unlock, remote start, edit charge schedules or departure times so that is unfortunate. Hopefully that is coming soon....

It seems to have a funny way of calculating my range on the website version.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Submit Your FordPass App Feedback to Ford 1617307228640
I bet it's 250 miles and you're seeing what some are seeing which is the number of KM.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I bet it's 250 miles and you're seeing what some are seeing which is the number of KM.
Good guess. Sounds plausible.
As luck would have it, the website asked me to fill out a survey to rate FordPass. I haven't enjoyed giving my opinion that much in years. :)

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Well if Ford is staking the viability of it 20bil investment in EVs on a third party network of chargers, that’s a risky gamble. You’d think Ford would take active involvement in developing the infrastructure even if it is outsourced. I really hope that’s not the case.

Ford exec: Sure the charging network will make or break our EV plans - so let’s take EA’s word for it that they’ll add stations. No, I don’t think any Ford exec is saying that. Man I hope not.
That’s kinda like expecting any car company to have their own network of gasoline stations. The only reason Tesla built their own network of charging stations is that there wasn’t a network out there, and it was a serious drawback to potential sales. Sure, we would all love to have better coverage out there, and it is coming, but Ford has shareholders to answer to. I know, so does Tesla, but their investors are a different type.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That’s kinda like expecting any car company to have their own network of gasoline stations. The only reason Tesla built their own network of charging stations is that there wasn’t a network out there, and it was a serious drawback to potential sales. Sure, we would all love to have better coverage out there, and it is coming, but Ford has shareholders to answer to. I know, so does Tesla, but their investors are a different type.
Exactly. Plus we're still in the very early stages of BEVs. And 90% of charging is done at home. Early adopters know (or should know) they're gonna have to live with some growing pains while the charging network gets built out. BEVs are not a good fit for everyone. Kind of like a pickup truck isn't a good fit for everyone, or 2-seater sports car isn't a good fit for everyone. There's still some serious limitations, but they're improving.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I agree to an extent. My point was not that Ford should be developing its own proprietary network a la Superchargers. Instead, my point was that I sure hope Ford isn’t taking a completely passive approach, either. If Ford is just placing a bet that the third party charging network will build out quickly and broadly enough to support its burgeoning line of EVs, that’s a risky bet for $20 billion. Ford needs to be partnering with charging companies to foster the rollout.

And by partnering, it’s going to take more than the Plug & Charge partnership with EA and GreenLots. Not only has that “functionality” been plagued with problems, but it isn’t helping to expand the network. Ford needs to be subsidizing expansion of public charging. There should be real DCFC at Ford dealerships, for starters. And Ford should likewise be partnering with Walmart or some other major retailer to add DCFC there as well. In summary, Ford needs to invest some capital in charger expansion, but that doesn’t mean I expect a new massive network of Fordchargers.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford needs to be subsidizing expansion of public charging. There should be real DCFC at Ford dealerships, for starters. And Ford should likewise be partnering with Walmart or some other major retailer to add DCFC there as well. In summary, Ford needs to invest some capital in charger expansion, but that doesn’t mean I expect a new massive network of Fordchargers.
I've gotta disagree with that. Especially when many government entities seem to be willing to throw taxpayer money at doing just that.

Ford is just one of a dozen+ manufacturers that is (or will soon) be building CCS BEVs. It would put them at a disadvantage to those a bunch of money at building CCS chargers when others aren't. And when taxpayers already are.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've gotta disagree with that. Especially when many government entities seem to be willing to throw taxpayer money at doing just that.

Ford is just one of a dozen+ manufacturers that is (or will soon) be building CCS BEVs. It would put them at a disadvantage to those a bunch of money at building CCS chargers when others aren't. And when taxpayers already are.
I understand your point. But taking a passive approach poses a heck of a risk that an unreliable charging network will impair Ford’s EV rollout. There are troubling signs that this could happen if the charging nightmare stories really get traction among YouTube influencers and automotive press. Ford is still in the honeymoon phase with the MME. It won’t last.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I agree to an extent. My point was not that Ford should be developing its own proprietary network a la Superchargers. Instead, my point was that I sure hope Ford isn’t taking a completely passive approach, either. If Ford is just placing a bet that the third party charging network will build out quickly and broadly enough to support its burgeoning line of EVs, that’s a risky bet for $20 billion. Ford needs to be partnering with charging companies to foster the rollout.

And by partnering, it’s going to take more than the Plug & Charge partnership with EA and GreenLots. Not only has that “functionality” been plagued with problems, but it isn’t helping to expand the network. Ford needs to be subsidizing expansion of public charging. There should be real DCFC at Ford dealerships, for starters. And Ford should likewise be partnering with Walmart or some other major retailer to add DCFC there as well. In summary, Ford needs to invest some capital in charger expansion, but that doesn’t mean I expect a new massive network of Fordchargers.
I hear you, and to an extent, I agree. But honestly, I feel like (and the libertarian in me hates saying this) this is one of those places where the government needs to step up and commit manpower and materials to build charging stations across the country.

I have lived in areas that the population density didn’t make good fiscal sense to run cable tv and internet into a community, so those services lagged far behind the rest of the country. If you look at a map of the charger network out there, you’ll see that most major metropolitan areas are fairly well covered, but if you get out into the boondocks a bit, all the sudden you can easily exceed the range of most ev’s between charging stations.EA and ChargePoint will tell you that it doesn’t make good fiscal sense to move into many of those areas.

ncmagus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Select, AWD
Country flag
As a lot of people already said, the app feel slow, with a lot of "flicker" or loading.
Moving between screen doesn't feel good at all!

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hear you, and to an extent, I agree. But honestly, I feel like (and the libertarian in me hates saying this) this is one of those places where the government needs to step up and commit manpower and materials to build charging stations across the country.

I have lived in areas that the population density didn’t make good fiscal sense to run cable tv and internet into a community, so those services lagged far behind the rest of the country. If you look at a map of the charger network out there, you’ll see that most major metropolitan areas are fairly well covered, but if you get out into the boondocks a bit, all the sudden you can easily exceed the range of most ev’s between charging stations.EA and ChargePoint will tell you that it doesn’t make good fiscal sense to move into many of those areas.
I agree with that, too. But man, I just wouldn’t stake this sort of massive investment on the government rapidly expanding the charging network.

opennetus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
My piece of feedback is to make it more difficult to accidentally call 911. Yesterday, I opened the app to remote start the car, and placed the phone in my pocket with the app open (because the spinner takes forever and didn’t want to mess it up). A couple minutes later, the 911 dispatcher was talking to me. In the top right of every screen is a road side assistance button and on the top right of that screen is a 911 button. Apparently there is no confirmation prompt before it starts dialing, so any pressure on that part of the screen when the app is left open can trigger an accidental 911 pocket dial.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I understand your point. But taking a passive approach poses a heck of a risk that an unreliable charging network will impair Ford’s EV rollout. There are troubling signs that this could happen if the charging nightmare stories really get traction among YouTube influencers and automotive press. Ford is still in the honeymoon phase with the MME. It won’t last.
I get what you're saying, but I don't think the risk is anywhere near that big to Ford. This isn't some 3-year do-or-die transition to electric. It will be a decades-long slow transition. 99% of vehicles Ford sells today are still ICE or hybrid, not BEV. That'll gradually increase, but we're still only talking maybe 5-10% of their US sales being BEV 3 years from now. So it's not like there's a huge risk to the meat of their sales if there isn't solid nationwide CCS coverage by 2024. It's not that crucial to their overall sales (yet). It's a strategic direction for them, but a long-term one, not short-term.

But even if it were crucial in the near term, I don't think there's much to worry about. CCS coverage will probably be 3x greater by 2024 than it is now. At least.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
One thing I’d like to see in the app is the charging status. Like:

Charging at [speed]
[time] to charged

I would honestly rather have that information than the button for “nearby chargers” right at the top of the home page, along with the current charge and estimated range.