Summer tire experts: Risk if temps 40-50 for few hours?

Mach-e-in-MI

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT-PE, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Country flag
Gang. It's cooling off unexpectedly in MI this week.

I have a GT+PE and was hoping to hold off just a bit longer to swap tires. Really want the Conti DWS06+ which are not on promo. Hopefully Oct 1st that changes...

So my Q: If the car is stored in a 75+deg garage overnight and the wife leaves for work at 6am to a temp of 42ish, warming to +45 3 hours later & 60+s by noon, do I run any risk of damaging the tires or them hardening up to become unsafe?

My guess is no since it will take time for the wheels to get to ambient temp especially cruising at 70+ on the highway for 45 min.

No rain is expected.

I have never owned a car w summer tires so I have absolutely no sense for how sensitive the compounds are in a short period of cooler temps.

My gut says it sb fine but if we get a full day in mid 40s, that's a no-go.

Thx
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Your gut is right. Non-issue.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
No problem. The OEM P Zeros will be harder and provide less traction in those temps but they will not be unsafe. Now, once you get below freezing for an extended period, thatā€™s different.

Btw, Iā€™ve run max performance summer tires from Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone, and Pirelli over the past 15 years or so and have never had any problems down into the low-mid 20s F. They just donā€™t have as much grip and arenā€™t advisable in those temps if there is any precipitation whatsoever.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
No problem. The OEM P Zeros will be harder and provide less traction in those temps but they will not be unsafe. Now, once you get below freezing for an extended period, thatā€™s different.

Btw, Iā€™ve run max performance summer tires from Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone, and Pirelli over the past 15 years or so and have never had any problems down into the low-mid 20s F. They just donā€™t have as much grip and arenā€™t advisable in those temps if there is any precipitation whatsoever.
It does vary a bit based on the exact tire however. For example the Michelin PS4 (and similar) are usually good down into the 20's, but the more aggressive sport cup 2 (and similar) tires really get unhappy in the low 30's and can split/crack.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
It does vary a bit based on the exact tire however. For example the Michelin PS4 (and similar) are usually good down into the 20's, but the more aggressive sport cup 2 (and similar) tires really get unhappy in the low 30's and can split/crack.
Yes, Sport Cup 2s, Goodyear F1 G2/3, Pirelli Trofeo Rs, Toyo 888s etc. would all fall under the extreme performance or competition category - do not use below freezing.
Sponsored