Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I raised the following issues:

Either some vehicle specifications have suddenly changed on the First Edition Mach E or there are some errors in these in the information provided in my order. Every image on the Mach E website, every prototype photo, and all the materials Ford has produced indicate the First Editions come with Body-Color-Painted wheel lip moldings. The description in my order says it will have black Wheel Lip Moldings.

More important, though was the incredible lack of information from Ford in the time between reservation and ordering. Despite having signed up to be kept informed, there were only a few emails from Ford in the ensuing seven months. I'm glad I was on the Mach E Forum so I actually knew what was going on. I realize COVID-19 changed things but everyone on the Forum was equally dismayed by Ford's lack of communication. Ford didn't even bother to email reservation holders the press releases going out from Ford Media. Hello IT and marketing: ever hear of mail merge?
Sponsored

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
Here was my response:

The online system was great other than the convoluted process required to change dealers (call to marketing department, then wait several days for the system to be updated). Considering the communication all along had been that the dealer could be changed when the reservations were converted to orders, it seemed like that could have been made much easier.

The real issue was the inconsistent participation from the dealers. My original dealer (XXXXX) never seemed interested in putting much effort into gaining my business. They were almost entirely unresponsive to both email and voice messages. Even when I spoke with a salesperson who took my name and number and told me her manager would call me back "shortly", I never heard back. The only time they did respond was when I asked if they would honor X-plan (they said "no").

Once I changed dealers to YYYYY, the response was completely different. I spoke with the sales manager twice and he was more than excited about the car and getting my business. He happily agreed to accept plan pricing if offered by Ford and is even getting a Mach E himself. From abysmal customer service (XXXXX) to exceptional customer service (YYYYY).

As a suggestion, I recommend you consider some kind of onboarding requirements form dealerships to participate in this type of process for future offerings (i.e. Bronco, eF150, etc.). You run the risk of alienating customers by relying on disinterested dealerships that cannot be bothered to provide adequate customer service. Suggest some kind of qualification program where they need to meet certain criteria to be allowed to be a dealer for a particular model. That may weed out the dealers that are only interested in selling cars on their lot today so that prospective buyers of new offerings can be routed to dealers who are actually interested in learning about and selling the new cars.

Let's hope they actually take the advice and work to address the issues. The convenience provided by the dealer network should be something that is an ADVANTAGE versus the Tesla's, Polestar's, Rivian's, etc. Yet the "bad apple" dealerships make it difficult for dealers as a whole to be perceived as more than a nuisance. Ford has the opportunity to weed out the crappy dealers and prioritize customer service without violating legal regulations. Here's hoping they take action.

Calvin4000

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Harley Livewire, BMW 1250GS
Occupation
System Engineer
Country flag
Ford has produced indicate the First Editions come with Body-Color-Painted wheel lip moldings. The description in my order says it will have black Wheel Lip Moldings.
Damn, I did not notice that point... I will check my FE order the day I can order it to be sure it is body-color-painted... well spotted

Ford's lack of communication. Ford didn't even bother to email reservation holders the press releases going out from Ford Media
Ok, Switzerland is a small market, but such a lack of communication is a shame.... Only my dealer keeps in touch, but Ford marketing, nothing at all, no info, no email, they just doesn't exist.. basically, we had to pay 1'000chf and we've never heard anything else, not a word about a possible order one day.... pretty disappointing...

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Je sais qu'au départ cela était prévu comme ça mais encore une fois les dindons de la farce sont les européens
Completely understand the frustration, and hope you get your car sooner rather than later. From my days in French class I remembered that dindon was a turkey, and never heard that turn of phrase before that you are the "stuffed turkeys". It made me smile.

Also . . . I gave Ford some feedback too - especially about the lack of engagement of their marketing department, and the lack of knowledge and communication with dealers.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Damn, I did not notice that point... I will check my FE order the day I can order it to be sure it is body-color-painted... well spotted

Ok, Switzerland is a small market, but such a lack of communication is a shame.... Only my dealer keeps in touch, but Ford marketing, nothing at all, no info, no email, they just doesn't exist.. basically, we had to pay 1'000chf and we've never heard anything else, not a word about a possible order one day.... pretty disappointing...
Until they opened orders we didn’t hear much from Ford either. Pretty sad.

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
4) No way online of changing dealerships, change first edition orders, and no invitation to GT owners (who may have changed their minds and now want to order a non-GT) that they can order a non-GT now instead if they don't want to wait. We were told we could change all the reservation details later on... but you have to really work for it in certain cases.
All great points! But, I gave Ford 2 stars for this very reason.

In my mind, Ford had a grand opportunity to engage with customers eager (willing to put up $500) for their exciting new product. They chose to ignore from, basically, November till the end of June. I mean, questionnaires forming buyer demographics, sending out Mach-E literature, requesting customer feedback, etc., ENGAGING!

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Here was my response:

As a suggestion, I recommend you consider some kind of onboarding requirements form dealerships to participate in this type of process for future offerings (i.e. Bronco, eF150, etc.). You run the risk of alienating customers by relying on disinterested dealerships that cannot be bothered to provide adequate customer service. Suggest some kind of qualification program where they need to meet certain criteria to be allowed to be a dealer for a particular model. That may weed out the dealers that are only interested in selling cars on their lot today so that prospective buyers of new offerings can be routed to dealers who are actually interested in learning about and selling the new cars.
Dealers are required to invest a significant amount of time and money to become BEV qualified (minimum 2 charging stations, special lift for battery change-out, staff training, etc. That said, dealers are still motivated by ICE sales and service. Third party service of BEV vehicles is not even an option. BEV vehicles will be the red headed step children until they are not.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Dealers are required to invest a significant amount of time and money to become BEV qualified (minimum 2 charging stations, special lift for battery change-out, staff training, etc. That said, dealers are still motivated by ICE sales and service. Third party service of BEV vehicles is not even an option. BEV vehicles will be the red headed step children until they are not.
I think I'm lucky that despite being in Ohio, the local dealer has always done a decent job of carrying PHEV on the lot - which yes means ICE sales and service but it also means the chargers, battery knowledge, etc. are there. A couple of service visits ago on the GF's C-Max (non-Energi), I was reporting an issue and the service person said "is the issue there when the gas engine is going or not?" and I thought "holy crap that's nice that they even thought to ask that question".

sometimes I have a very low bar.
Sponsored