Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Read Post #7
No but why a crappy 3 cylinder fake SUV? Full sized Bronco or 4Runner or Wrangler or MINI or Miata or C8 or R8… like something you can be passionate about.
Sponsored

Rjm

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach E Premium
Occupation
Retired- probably oldest Mach E owner in the US- 83 yrs
Country flag
Bought my Mache in June of 21 at age 83 and still driving it at 85. Mache premium intimate blue. Love the acceleration but not the stiff ride on bumpy roads.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
like something you can be passionate about.
How much passion should an 80 year old have for a vehicle? I’m not even 50 and losing more passion daily.

OP
OP
Jim Glass

Jim Glass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
At 79 I thought I was an early adopter but a First Edition when the ordered declined it. Almost three years in, it’s now fully sorted. Its had all the updates, repairs, etc. it drives great. It’s quick off the line and in mid range maneuvers. At 22,000 miles it almost like new. Garaged always, washed only by hand by me. In two weeks it’ll be gone, traded for a 24 Bronco Sport Badlands. What??? An EV isn’t for me. They are great for the truly climate concerned and folks who maybe only take a long distance road trip once or twice a year. Charging stations are plentiful along all the major interstates. So that’s not an issue. But here’s the rub. You may pay .10¢/kWh at home but on the highway it’ll cost you.40-50¢ per kWh. If you always charge at home (or have free charging), your daily operating costs will be next to nothing. But if you live in the hinterland and rely on commercial charging, you’re screwed. What I’ve learned is that I’m kind of impromptu. I want the ability to hope in my car and without a day or two of preparation. Therefore, if you are like me you’ll opt for a hybrid if you’re hell bent to save the planet or you’ll return to ICE vehicles that have some character, good or bad.

vsguru

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium
Country flag

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
At 79 I thought I was an early adopter but a First Edition when the ordered declined it. Almost three years in, it’s now fully sorted. Its had all the updates, repairs, etc. it drives great. It’s quick off the line and in mid range maneuvers. At 22,000 miles it almost like new. Garaged always, washed only by hand by me. In two weeks it’ll be gone, traded for a 24 Bronco Sport Badlands. What??? An EV isn’t for me. They are great for the truly climate concerned and folks who maybe only take a long distance road trip once or twice a year. Charging stations are plentiful along all the major interstates. So that’s not an issue. But here’s the rub. You may pay .10¢/kWh at home but on the highway it’ll cost you.40-50¢ per kWh. If you always charge at home (or have free charging), your daily operating costs will be next to nothing. But if you live in the hinterland and rely on commercial charging, you’re screwed. What I’ve learned is that I’m kind of impromptu. I want the ability to hope in my car and without a day or two of preparation. Therefore, if you are like me you’ll opt for a hybrid if you’re hell bent to save the planet or you’ll return to ICE vehicles that have some character, good or bad.
You should feel good about your decision. Your lifestyle and expectations have been shaped by decades of using ICE vehicles. Changing to an EV, which have different use requirements is a huge change.