Tax Credit Only Applicable to W-2 Tax Liability?

dimes4slim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium,18 Beetle Dune-now sold
Occupation
Retired Bean Counter
Country flag
Back to your problem, If you have a tax deferred IRA, you should be able to convert some of it to a Roth IRA to add to last year's liability. I believe you have until April 17th, but do your own research.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Back to your problem, If you have a tax deferred IRA, you should be able to convert some of it to a Roth IRA to add to last year's liability. I believe you have until April 17th, but do your own research.
No, he can’t. Contributions to regular IRAs can be made up until the filing deadline, but IRA withdrawals and Roth conversions are effective in the calendar tax year in which they are carried out.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
No, he can’t. Contributions to regular IRAs can be made up until the filing deadline, but IRA withdrawals and Roth conversions are effective in the calendar tax year in which they are carried out.
Correct.

Now if he contributed to a traditional IRA, he could “recharacterize” those as Roth contributions as I suggested in post 18.

He could also make them after tax in the IRA instead but that’s way more complicated when it comes to calculating tax liability on distributions and probably not worth the effort.
Sponsored