First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Hi,
I was wondering where and when we’re supposed to get our tax forms to use in our tax return (for the deduction of a purchase in 2023).
Was the dealership supposed to provide that? Has anyone gotten theirs yet?
thank you!
Sponsored

Travlcub

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Corporate Travel Consultant
Country flag
The form is provided by the IRSbut I’ve heard it’s not available yet to files as they are dragging their feet (per H&R Block). Make sure the dealership has submitted their paperwork to the IRS proving that they sold you an EV

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Hi,
I was wondering where and when we’re supposed to get our tax forms to use in our tax return (for the deduction of a purchase in 2023).
Was the dealership supposed to provide that? Has anyone gotten theirs yet?
thank you!
The tax forms you file you get from wherever you get tax forms to do your return.

The dealership provides no tax forms. In 2023, they were to provide specific information to you, as defined by the IRS, on any form or piece of paper they wish to. That information, on a form that Ford gave dealers access to (but many didn't use), is below:

ford30dirs-jpeg.jpg

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The form is provided by the IRSbut I’ve heard it’s not available yet to files as they are dragging their feet (per H&R Block). Make sure the dealership has submitted their paperwork to the IRS proving that they sold you an EV
Turbo Tax had the forms in their system mid january and I was able to complete that portion of the return.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Turbo Tax had the forms in their system mid january and I was able to complete that portion of the return.
Correct, but you can't file, either via Print or E-File, until the date.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
We are dealing with some hostile dealers on the Bolt forum who refuse to submit form 15400 to the IRS. So we have all logged complaints in various forms, BBB, IRS, Chevy...But like others said, the form for the individual is available in TurboTax and works fine. It is currently saying it wont be ready to file until 2/21 due to IRS revisions.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
We are dealing with some hostile dealers on the Bolt forum who refuse to submit form 15400 to the IRS. So we have all logged complaints in various forms, BBB, IRS, Chevy...But like others said, the form for the individual is available in TurboTax and works fine. It is currently saying it wont be ready to file until 2/21 due to IRS revisions.
The dealer not filing the 15400 shouldn’t affect you. File when TT releases the form and forget about it.

Homestead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E, F-350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
The form is 15400 which came out in oct 2023.
I got mine from the dealer after I told them they were required to provide form to the customer at time of sale and also report the same info to IRS.
The form is filled out differently depending on when in 2023 you purchased the car.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
The dealer not filing the 15400 shouldn’t affect you. File when TT releases the form and forget about it.
Agreed, the likelhood that the IRS will use my form to check against a database populated by dealers faxing in a form with a VIN is highly unlikely, I would image 90% of the VINs are written and pen and not legible. Still its annoying on principle with this dealer so we are trying to get someone to go after them.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Pretty clearly says:

- Seller must provide a copy of sellers report to buyers
- IRS prefers the seller to provide their full year report in Excel
- Seller may also submit multiple 15400 forms to the IRS
- Sellers that used alternate forms to provide buyers data, like the Ford form, don't need to send a 15400 to the IRS, they can send the alternate form

Nowhere does it say that a 15400 should be sent by a dealer to a Seller.

Homestead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E, F-350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
This other page said "The dealer must provide the buyer the 15400 form at the time of sale". It took my dealer 4 tries to get the form correct.
The dealer didn't even know about the form or the requirements.

Found it...
https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/credits-for-new-clean-vehicles-purchased-in-2023-or-after

Last edited:

dbayub

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rapid Red Metallic Premium Standard Range AWD
Country flag
I hope the IRS has a process in place for when the dealer screws up. I picked up my car April 10th, the law changed April 17th so the credit went from $7500 to $3750. The dealer screwed up my paperwork (who knew there were multiple people with the same name?) and re-did it April 29th. The person filing the tax forms used April 29th, even though the form says it should be when the car was put into service. I went to the dealer and told them about it after I received the form, they said they'd fix it. Haven't seen or heard anything yet.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This other page said "The dealer must provide the buyer the 15400 form at the time of sale". It took my dealer 4 tries to get the form correct.
The dealer didn't even know about the form or the requirements.

Found it...
https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/credits-for-new-clean-vehicles-purchased-in-2023-or-after

It says information. Not form.
Sponsored