kbough78

First Name
Kathie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E
Country flag
Has anyone had any luck with one of these Tesla charging station adaptors? I purchased one and it seemed to fit both ends very well, but nothing happened when plugging into the Tesla charging station. I was signed into the Tesla app with credit card information entered but the app and the charger did not seem to recognize that I was connected. Perhaps I am missing a step or perhaps it does not work. Having this added ability to charge at Tesla stations would be beneficial since there are no magic docks in my area.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Charging Station Adapter 1696368416696
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Has anyone had any luck with one of these Tesla charging station adaptors? I purchased one and it seemed to fit both ends very well, but nothing happened when plugging into the Tesla charging station. I was signed into the Tesla app with credit card information entered but the app and the charger did not seem to recognize that I was connected. Perhaps I am missing a step or perhaps it does not work. Having this added ability to charge at Tesla stations would be beneficial since there are no magic docks in my area.
1696368416696.png
Those type of adaptors don't work at SuperChargers. Only level 2 destination chargers.

These:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Charging Station Adapter 1696368898419
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Charging Station Adapter 1696369195658

Not these:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Charging Station Adapter 1696368920537

I have one of these TeslaTap units for destination chargers and it works perfectly.

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=146

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Charging Station Adapter 1696368920537
Look at the last line of the product description. Adapter for Tesla Wall/Destination/Mobile Chargers. None of those are Superchargers.

Moxiemoney

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
For level 2, I bought an adapter off Amazon and it works great. It feels quality and never have any issues getting it to work. Most importantly, it's wayyyyy less costly than the other ones I've seen posted on here for sale or on a site.

OP
OP

kbough78

First Name
Kathie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E
Country flag
For level 2, I bought an adapter off Amazon and it works great. It feels quality and never have any issues getting it to work. Most importantly, it's wayyyyy less costly than the other ones I've seen posted on here for sale or on a site.

Thank you, would you mind sharing a link to the one that you purchased?

Moxiemoney

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
You're right. Duh. My bad.

OP, you need to plug the adapter in to the tesla charger, and wait for 30 seconds before plugging into your car.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You're right. Duh. My bad.

OP, you need to plug the adapter in to the tesla charger, and wait for 30 seconds before plugging into your car.
Not at a Supercharger which appears to be their question.

Moxiemoney

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Not at a Supercharger which appears to be their question.
The OP said nothing about supercharger. Everyone after assumed supercharger was the issue the OP was only referring to (and maybe it is). In my first (uncecessary) post, I specifically say level 2. People have trouble with this particular adapter b/c they don't plug in and wait for a short period before plugging into their car. It works great if you follow the instructions that come with it, and certainly well worth the $60.

OP
OP

kbough78

First Name
Kathie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E
Country flag
Thank you all, yes, I am looking for an adapter to use at Tesla Super Charger stations while traveling. I know that some Tesla Super Charger stations have magic dock connectors but there are none in my area.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Thank you all, yes, I am looking for an adapter to use at Tesla Super Charger stations while traveling. I know that some Tesla Super Charger stations have magic dock connectors but there are none in my area.
Yeah, you're about 3-9 months early on that.

I'm sure there'll be big announcments from Ford/Tesla and multiple threads on here once the offically supported NACS to CCS adaptors are ready.

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
Thank you, would you mind sharing a link to the one that you purchased?
There are a number of these on Amazon.
Most of them are from companies who's names are unrecognizable, haven't been around very long, probably change their names frequently, and/or may sell the same item under multiple names. Just look closely. Many of the adapters listed are the same item with a different name/brand on them.
Additionally, most do not have the option of locking the adapter to your car. Why would you want this. Well.... people will steal anything, regardless of dollar value or personal value. Without the ability to lock the adapter, it can be borrowed or stolen.
- Use Case 1 - The Borrower:
You plug in and use your adapter at a Tesla Destination Charger at the mall, a hotel, a restaurant, a park, etc. and walk away. You come back to your car and some joker in another non-Tesla car has unplugged your car and is using your adapter on theirs. Maybe they know that it's your adapter and don't care, or maybe they just bought their car 4 days ago and know little or anything about public charging and they think that 1) It's OK to unplug someone else's car and, 2) they think that your adapter is just part of the charger and use it for themselves.​

- Use Case 2 - "Bye Bye Bye":
Another a$$ clown decides they want, need, or it would be fun to unplug your car and steal your adapter. They may not even have an EV or even know what it is, but they know they can sell it online and make a few bucks.​

I'm sure that some others here may have done more research, but I did a good bit of my own. That said, I narrowed my choices down to a TeslaTap adapter or a Lectron adapter.

TeslaTap Adapters - These are great. They're lockable, the Mini is very small and easy to store anywhere in the car, and they sell models made in the U.S. (more expensive) and imported. TeslaTap offers 60 AMP and 80 AMP models. The Mach-E Level 1/2 J1772 port can can only accept up to 48 AMPS. That said, I think you're paying for power that you won't use.
> Imported 60 AMP TeslaTap Mini - $169.95 (Amazon)
> U.S. Made 60 AMP TeslaTap Mini - $259.95
> U.S. Made 80 AMP TeslaTap Mini - $299.95
[Unable to find any information showing that TeslaTap adapters are UL listed.]​

Lectron Adapters - Probably the largest, most established company in the space. They're lockable, less expensive than the TeslaTap, and are UL listed. They are larger than the TeslaTap Mini, but the 48 AMP adapter is still small and easily stored.
> 40 AMP Adapter (larger) - $131.99 (5% off on first purchase)
> 48 AMP Adapter (smaller) - $139.99 (5% off on first purchase)

I bought the Lectron 48 AMP adapter. I also purchased a lock that fits the locking mechanism (tried several) that can be opened with a combination or a key and a case to put the adapter and lock in.
Lock:
https://a.co/d/922rC79

Case (actually a large pencil case):
https://a.co/d/3skHrcz

I hope this is helpful. Good luck!