Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Hmm, in addition to the potential cash grab of part of the 7.5 B, I would think Tesla would want to market adapters for their super chargers, charge a higher rate for non Tesla EVs and viola, another cash revenue...

I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more for that opportunity as it opens up a lot more for us.
The problem is, to get the cash from the government he canā€™t charge for the adapters. The chargers need to be ready to use when someone drives up otherwise no money.

Tesla has a design for a new supercharger that will accommodate this, but they have to roll it out to all their locations, which costs money. So Iā€™m guessing it will only happen at new locations and as old ones get replaced.
Sponsored

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Hmm, in addition to the potential cash grab of part of the 7.5 B, I would think Tesla would want to market adapters for their super chargers, charge a higher rate for non Tesla EVs and viola, another cash revenue...

I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more for that opportunity as it opens up a lot more for us.
Yeah Iā€™m with you. You would think that him and Telsa, would see an opportunity to make money off of non-Telsa owners and self promotion for himself.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The problem is, to get the cash from the government he canā€™t charge for the adapters. The chargers need to be ready to use when someone drives up otherwise no money.

Tesla has a design for a new supercharger that will accommodate this, but they have to roll it out to all their locations, which costs money. So Iā€™m guessing it will only happen at new locations and as old ones get replaced.
Yes I think this is right. Those V4 chargers likely will only go to new locations that theyā€™re opening.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
It was always just posturing for taxpayer bucks to fund their closed network.

They have no intention of opening up their network to 3rd party usage in any competitive fashion, in my opinion.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Yeah Iā€™m with you. You would think that him and Telsa, would see an opportunity to make money off of non-Telsa owners and self promotion for himself.
How many people buy a Tesla just for the network, though? You hear people saying that all the time.

I think they're worried about leveling the playing field with regards to their top discriminator. Selling cars (and carbon credits) is their bread and butter.

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It was always just posturing for taxpayer bucks to fund their closed network.

They have no intention of opening up their network to 3rd party usage in any competitive fashion, in my opinion.
You are correct. Their strategy was to create the apple of EVs and lock people into their walled garden. It's a tried and true tech strategy. Without outside pressure, they won't change that.

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
How many people buy a Tesla just for the network, though? You hear people saying that all the time.

I think they're worried about leveling the playing field with regards to their top discriminator. Selling cars (and carbon credits) is their bread and butter.
Discriminator is really the right word choice here. Better than the usual SV double speak of "differentiator" or "value prop"

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes except thereā€™s no real money to be made off charging. Itā€™s why we need government subsidies (even though I hate them). This whole ā€œwhen will Tesla open up Superchargersā€ was played out in the fall of 2021 and nothing happened then. Heck, the infrastructure bill was signed into law over a year ago too.

Just be happy with your Mach-E. Itā€™s a great car. Iā€™m not taking any road trips with any CCS EV and am happy with my ICE SUV.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yes except thereā€™s no real money to be made off charging. Itā€™s why we need government subsidies (even though I hate them). This whole ā€œwhen will Tesla open up Superchargersā€ was played out in the fall of 2021 and nothing happened then. Heck, the infrastructure bill was signed into law over a year ago too.

Just be happy with your Mach-E. Itā€™s a great car. Iā€™m not taking any road trips with any CCS EV and am happy with my ICE SUV.
Iā€™m definitely happy with my mAch e and Iā€™ve taken road trips with charging at EA and EvGo. I would rather the EV charging infrastructure companies and automakers continue continue to focus on building out the charging infrastructure and improving it, more so than people focusing on whether Telsa is going to open their network in the US.

People will continue to ask that question, and EvGo, Gm and Pilot will continue to build out their network. Thatā€™s the type of action I want to see happen.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

I like to support the charging infrastructure so I take road trips in mine to show it can be done. Just have a plan or two like anything I do.

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The part that upsets me the most is all those rest stops along I95 that are supercharger only. That feels anti-competitive and an abuse of federal highway infra in support of a monopoly.
Sponsored