Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Just had to do this math for myself. 10-80% is like 65 kwh.... let's say optimistically you can get 3mi/kwh you're looking at (65x3) 195 miles for (.42x65) $27.30.

That's like (27.30/$2.99) 9.13 gallons of gasoline and at 195 miles of range, that's equivalent to (195/9.13) 21.36 mpg equivalent...optimistically.

Yikes.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Just had to do this math for myself. 10-80% is like 65 kwh.... let's say optimistically you can get 3mi/kwh you're looking at (65x3) 195 miles for (.42x65) $27.30.

That's like (27.30/$2.99) 9.13 gallons of gasoline and at 195 miles of range, that's equivalent to (195/9.13) 21.36 mpg equivalent...optimistically.

Yikes.
Road tripping will be expensive, no one should be DCFC as their sole charging

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
If you pull up to a station and only one stall is available, do you just park there and wait until the two stalls next to it become available and ho
So not worry. The hate is universal
0BBB7808-62DB-4DC3-B8DE-B0A78FC42F1B.png
How did that taycan get 3 spots? Assuming that all 3 next to each other was not avaiable at the same time. Did the driver just wait and not let other people in line use the open charger?

I don't see how this would work in a busy station. Fights are going to break out.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you pull up to a station and only one stall is available, do you just park there and wait until the two stalls next to it become available and ho

How did that taycan get 3 spots? Assuming that all 3 next to each other was not avaiable at the same time. Did the driver just wait and not let other people in line use the open charger?

I don't see how this would work in a busy station. Fights are going to break out.
that post is old, nothing to do with CCS opening up

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Yikes.
DCFC has always worked out to be roughly the same as gas in my calculations. It's residential charging where you save significant money vs gas (roughly 1/4th the price in my case).

That doesn't factor in the occasional free charging we get on road trips though. The hotel is usually "free". Sometimes we even find a free DCFC.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag

Yikes.
But you also have to factor in that your starting charge and destination charge should be non-DC (cheaper) if you plan properly. So it's not as if you are necessarily getting the high $/mile DC price for your entire trip.

But, yes, DC charging is always going to be fairly expensive if we want a well-maintained system. I'd rather pay .50/kWh with 99% uptime vs. .30/kWh for 60%-God-I-hope-this-last-charger-works uptime.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If an SC station is full with a line when I arrive, I'm heading somewhere else unless I'm totally stranded. There's no way 2 spots will open anytime soon.

Maybe if there's an end stall that would work, I might try to line up in front of that one and wait for it to open. And hope those in line understand what's happening. I'd have to be pretty desperate though.

Note, however, that even Teslas end up cutting each other off a lot for lack of a clear queuing layout at most stations.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla does have a number of stations with 1 or 2 chargers in non-standard layouts. I see a number of these around here, with the left-rear nose-in design. That would work for us as long as it doesn't look too dangerous to only pull in to the spot part way and be hanging out.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Supercharger Membership Launched @ $12.99 / month. Non-Tesla Supercharging CCS stations now appearing in Tesla App Firefox_Screenshot_2023-03-01T20-45-53.755Z

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Tesla does have a number of stations with 1 or 2 chargers in non-standard layouts. I see a number of these around here, with the left-rear nose-in design. That would work for us as long as it doesn't look too dangerous to only pull in to the spot part way and be hanging out.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Supercharger Membership Launched @ $12.99 / month. Non-Tesla Supercharging CCS stations now appearing in Tesla App Firefox_Screenshot_2023-03-01T20-45-53.755Z
Yes we have a few of these types of Tesla stalls down the street from my home.

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Is there any kind of ETA on a national rollout? I'll be able to use the SC in southern NY, but it would be grand if all those stations along the i95 corridor in the rest stops would open up soon too.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Pacifica PHEV, ā€˜22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
Yeah, and really they do use the same communication protocols already at their stations as CCS does. (Thanks to the EU and other reasons.) It was the physical adapter plug that was the real issue here. They found a cheaper way of doing it with the magic dock. Instead of having to redesign all of the components in the dispensers themselves to accommodate 2 cables, this is an easy change and cheaper overall.

It's great they opened them up. Could it have been done better? Sure, but they will learn quickly the cable issue is a big experience problem. They are focused on experience so hopefully they take the feedback and implement it in their next station updates.

Since it's a pilot program at first, I suspect they rushed it out to make sure it all works like they want t to before really doing it right in version 2.
I would think that if non-Teslas using up too many spaces to charge becomes an issue, Tesla will move on to tackling that problem. You are correct. It is a pilot program. Although Iā€™m sure Musk is willing to do the minimum to get access to government funds, Iā€™d be surprised if heā€™s willing to destroy one of his best selling points (the SC Network) to do it. And if there isnā€™t a fix there will either be very bad feelings among the Teslerati or loss of access to the fund. Although, Musk has shown tremendous tolerance toward burning down his business lately.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would think that if non-Teslas using up too many spaces to charge becomes an issue, Tesla will move on to tackling that problem. You are correct. It is a pilot program. Although Iā€™m sure Musk is willing to do the minimum to get access to government funds, Iā€™d be surprised if heā€™s willing to destroy one of his best selling points (the SC Network) to do it. And if there isnā€™t a fix there will either be very bad feelings among the Teslerati or loss of access to the fund. Although, Musk has shown tremendous tolerance toward burning down his business lately.
I don't think it is going to destroy SC, if anything, it will make them MORE profitable and lead to more expansion. It's basically what they said in their press release, that was their goal with this.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
And by doing this, they're probably hoping that the non-Tesla people using them will find them easier/better than the other stations and buy a Tesla next time. Since they don't have normal marketing, this is their marketing.
I think it would work the opposite. How many times do you hear people who bought a tesla say "I like "X", but the Tesla charging network." As someone who doesn't want to own a bar of soap with wheels, this is great.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is there any kind of ETA on a national rollout? I'll be able to use the SC in southern NY, but it would be grand if all those stations along the i95 corridor in the rest stops would open up soon too.
Not really. Tesla's original announcement said 3500 DCFC chargers by the end of 2024. But within that 2 years it's anyone's guess.

These MagicDocks got installed and activated far sooner than most people expected, so that's good news. Looks like they may have the capability to do a lot fast. I think they're converted 11 stations now, just in the last week. No idea if that pace will continue, but it's one baseline to project from.

So far they've been converting entire stations. That could be a bit of bad news as their "3500" number (out of almost 18,000 total SCs in the US) could mean only 20% of stations will get converted. But it's way too early to really know much beyond speculation. Maybe MagicDocks will become such a hit that they go ahead and add them to most stations anyway.

Deleted member 16048

Yeah I agree he is willing to do the minimum to get the funds. Honestly as much as they say that they are about advancement of moving the market to EVs is their goal, their ultimate loyalty is to the shareholder which equals money. They certainly can do both, and let's hope they do. I just don't trust Elon anymore because of his actions, or trust Wall Street at all.

I don't think it is going to destroy SC, if anything, it will make them MORE profitable and lead to more expansion. It's basically what they said in their press release, that was their goal with this.
I agree here, he won't destroy SC, but in the short term, he's going to do some reputation damage to Tesla. Long term they will solve the issues since that is what engineers are supposed to do. I think this needed to happen at some point anyways, but it will be painful for Tesla owners for a bit until we can all move forward together.

I think if people get confronted about the space issue by other drivers, it's good to just remind them that Tesla itself create the issue and we both need to raise the issue to them. Not each other. They are not entitled to anything.
Sponsored