Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
Had the opportunity to test drive a MMe 4x last Friday. White on white. Not quite my taste, but surprisingly decent looking to someone like me who favors all things black. As I expected, the car was just about everything I expected save for two details. First, it wasn't for sale yet (demonstrator model, wasn't explicitly posted on the dealer's website, but not really surprised). Second, the brakes were very touchy. I felt bad for the young lady who rode along with me as every time I touched the pedal the car lurched forward. I suspect this is just something to get used to especially given the size of the calipers on the front (probably normal for a 4-5k pound vehicle). Is everyone experiencing this, or was this just a quirk of the demo model?

Drive mode had no impact, by the way. D vs L had similar results. Car only had 90 miles on it so maybe not properly broken in yet?

Note to mods: I know how irritating it can be to have people posting content in the wrong place. If this post is better suited to another topic area, please relocate as needed.
Sponsored

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
Brakes are super touchy, I use 1 pedal drive 90% of the time since I'm coming from a Tesla.

Still, would be nice if I didn't give myself a heart attack anytime I used the brake pedal lol.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I also think the brakes are "overly sensitive". I've assumed this was because I use one pedal driving but that may well be wrong.

Personally I find brakes to be like computer keyboards -- you just get used to what you're using and then that seems normal and other keyboards are unusual. If I only drove the MME I think I wouldn't notice the brakes. I'd just let regen do more of the work. But since I move between vehicles I do notice it -- at the first stop sign. Then I remember and adjust.

Gino_A

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Had the opportunity to test drive a MMe 4x last Friday. White on white. Not quite my taste, but surprisingly decent looking to someone like me who favors all things black. As I expected, the car was just about everything I expected save for two details. First, it wasn't for sale yet (demonstrator model, wasn't explicitly posted on the dealer's website, but not really surprised). Second, the brakes were very touchy. I felt bad for the young lady who rode along with me as every time I touched the pedal the car lurched forward. I suspect this is just something to get used to especially given the size of the calipers on the front (probably normal for a 4-5k pound vehicle). Is everyone experiencing this, or was this just a quirk of the demo model?

Drive mode had no impact, by the way. D vs L had similar results. Car only had 90 miles on it so maybe not properly broken in yet?

Note to mods: I know how irritating it can be to have people posting content in the wrong place. If this post is better suited to another topic area, please relocate as needed.
I agree that the brakes are way too sensitive. I hope it can be fixed with a software update. The e-Golf, Volt, and Bolt I've owned did not have this issue.

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Red Mustang MachE
Country flag
I've been using 1-Pedal so it's always a shock to step on the friction brakes and feel how aggressive they are. If I've misjudged the 1-Pedal stopping distance and need a helping dose of friction, it's gonna be an aggressive toss forward as the pedal is so grabby.
Pretty much sums up my experience as well :)

Unsensibel

First Name
Lutz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Edge ST; MME ordered; '88 Cadillac Allante
Country flag
Pedal feel doesn't change significantly with breaking in. It's something that's tuned to the car's (and perceived drivers) feel.
Sporty cars typically will have a more direct feel (short travel before force, quick build up of force) where more SUV'ish response is slower and more gradual.
Guessing that the MME is still in sporty range and that's why you're finding a hard response...

Looking forward to mine to gauge it for myself. At least it crossed into Michigan and is waiting for prep somewhere

OP
OP

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to test the 1PD, but my Leaf has the feature and I could never get used to using it. I just rely heavily on "B"/"L" mode for additional regen and braking. The two Volts I had seldom ever saw duty in "D".

Given that I swap between at least three different vehicles throughout the week (and a few others once in a while), I cannot develop any sort of consistent pedal travel usage. Just have to roll with it I guess.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one testing the limits of whiplash. =)

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on the touchy brake pedal. I agree with Lutz above and sporty cars seem to be tuned with a more sensitive brake pedal.

My GT500 has a much more sensitive brake pedal than the MME. First, there is absolutely no travel between when you start to push on the pedal and the calipers start to grab and second, you barely have to push at all to get the car to stop. I would say the it is at least 30%-40% more sensitive than the MME. You will get use to the brakes on the MME no problem. It took be a bit of time to get use to the ones on the GT500 but now after having that car for a year, the MME brakes are no issue at all.

texfan

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Navigator; Buick Enclave; FE Mach E
Country flag
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on the touchy brake pedal. I agree with Lutz above and sporty cars seem to be tuned with a more sensitive brake pedal.

My GT500 has a much more sensitive brake pedal than the MME. First, there is absolutely no travel between when you start to push on the pedal and the calipers start to grab and second, you barely have to push at all to get the car to stop. I would say the it is at least 30%-40% more sensitive than the MME. You will get use to the brakes on the MME no problem. It took be a bit of time to get use to the ones on the GT500 but now after having that car for a year, the MME brakes are no issue at all.
I also agree the brakes are much more sport tuned. I switch driving between and Buick and Lincoln and braking in both are very different but I quickly acclimate to each. I've only had my FE for a few days, but I really appreciate the brake feel...much more similar to my Porsche driving experiences and consistent with a high performance vehicle.

Kerpazm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4X FE
Country flag
I found the brakes very sensitive and almost a little jerky, especially when transitioning between regen and friction braking. I switched to 1PD, and I've found it much more pleasant. I had a Fusion Hybrid previously, and didn't find the transition between regen and friction as jarring, so I'm wondering if it's like others are saying, and it's a bit more sport tuned (although I've driven other sporty cars and not necessarily felt the same way).

OP
OP

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
The Leaf I currently drive has a similar sensation when the system transitions from primarily regeneration to friction brakes (around 5 mph or so when SoC allows), but since I tend to drive primarily in the upper 20% of the battery, I tend to use more friction braking than regen and am more accustomed to that.
I admit I'm hoping the MMe experience is similar to the Bullitt I had. When new, the brakes were just as touchy, but over time they became less so.

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
When I took delivery of my mme (30 miles on it), I had the same thought. I can’t tell if it is because I got used to it but now I feel like they are a bit less aggressive (1050 miles now). I have to say that I drive the car generally in 2-pedal mode.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, the brake pedal is touchy. It's not the calipers though, it's the regen. The calipers don't kick in unless you really smash the pedal.

Brake Coach tells you if you've pressed hard enough to apply the calipers. Usually it shows 100% energy recovered though (all regen).

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When I took delivery of my mme (30 miles on it), I had the same thought. I can’t tell if it is because I got used to it but now I feel like they are a bit less aggressive (1050 miles now). I have to say that I drive the car generally in 2-pedal mode.
I think it's probably just getting used to it. I have an Escape too, and I drove it the other day for the first time since getting the Mach-E. I nearly blew through a stop sign after getting used to the touchy MME brakes.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Brakes are super touchy, I use 1 pedal drive 90% of the time since I'm coming from a Tesla.

Still, would be nice if I didn't give myself a heart attack anytime I used the brake pedal lol.
One thing to think about is the Mach E uses the rotors, calipers, and regenerative braking when you push the brake pedal, tesla turns off regenerative breaking when you use the break petal so it would definitely feel different.
Sponsored