Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e GT/2020 BMW 750iM/60 Vette/12 Wrangler
Occupation
Collision Center(s) Owner
Country flag
Thought the disassembled pictures before were bad enough. I thought wrong.

edit: I was t-boned in November and the frame was dented. They have to take out the battery to weld, which is why the car looks like this.

4878b63f-92e1-47c5-9089-b851ad373832.jpeg

c1a16d63-a552-40ed-89d0-8c114f61bbeb.jpeg

c7cdb547-a2f1-4e43-a093-8a4c09f4c0d2.jpeg

Wow... that's a long time... I'm assuming the inner center pillar damaged... the reason for removing all the outer panels. The inner center pillar is made of Ultra High Strength Steel... it's not repairable... in fact, if you try to repair it, it might tear and if you heat it up, it'll turn into mild steel and lose it's integrity. They've done a good job of protecting the interior. That would have been a 30k repair in one of my shops. That's a lot of work... The only good part... as soon as all the panels are removed... It's faster going back together... the tough part is almost over... Jeff

Screenshot 2023-03-06 091418.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-06 091449.jpg

OP
OP
areda11

areda11

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
none
Country flag
Wow... that's a long time... I'm assuming the inner center pillar damaged... the reason for removing all the outer panels. The inner center pillar is made of Ultra High Strength Steel... it's not repairable... in fact, if you try to repair it, it might tear and if you heat it up, it'll turn into mild steel and lose it's integrity. They've done a good job of protecting the interior. That would have been a 30k repair in one of my shops. That's a lot of work... The only good part... as soon as all the panels are removed... It's faster going back together... the tough part is almost over... Jeff

Ford Mustang Mach-E These hurt to look at… even more disassembled Mach-E Screenshot 2023-03-06 091449

Ford Mustang Mach-E These hurt to look at… even more disassembled Mach-E Screenshot 2023-03-06 091449
Yeah its been a long long time. I believe the part you said looked damaged is exactly what it was and they told us exactly what you said, that if they try to repair it then it would tear. They have done a good job protecting the interior too and just a good job overall so far. I hope what you are saying is true and its not much longer, although we talked to them on Friday and they said they do not have a time frame anymore and its not gonna be done this month, after they just told me about a couple weeks ago that it'll be three more weeks. It really sucks. Thanks for your reply though, it really helps!

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It would have had to been around $40K of damage to be totaled, it was about $10K. Here’s a pic of it after the crash.

This is the challenge with electrical vehicles when they get in an accident it takes forever to get them fixed and the battery being in the bottom of the vehicle. Their accidents are really hard to repair. So sad.

OP
OP
areda11

areda11

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
none
Country flag
This is the challenge with electrical vehicles when they get in an accident it takes forever to get them fixed and the battery being in the bottom of the vehicle. Their accidents are really hard to repair. So sad.
Yeah it really sucks. Going on 4 months driving an Edge as a loaner…

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

Screenshot 2023-03-06 091418.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-06 091449.jpg
Yeah, I was under the same impression. Ford used a lot of special high strength steel at the bottom of that B pillar, and because of that it seems like if the B pillar got damaged it would effectively total the vehicle because it would be impossible to cut out and repair with the same strength and integrity as the original. Do you have any idea how they will be able to proceed with the B-pillar replacement or is it just impossible? The B pillar is boron steel and is jointed to the rockers made out of martensitic steel, and I believe according to Ford boron and martensitic steel can't be sectioned.

2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-great-designs-in-steel.jpg

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/...n-steel-includes-aluminum-composite-closures/

Last edited:
OP
OP
areda11

areda11

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
none
Country flag
Yeah, I was under the same impression. Ford used a lot of special high strength steel at the bottom of that B pillar, and because of that it seems like if the B pillar got damaged it would effectively total the vehicle because it would be impossible to cut out and repair with the same strength and integrity as the original. Do you have any idea how they will be able to proceed with the B-pillar replacement or is it just impossible?
I’m pretty sure they’re just cutting out whatever got damaged and welding a new piece onto there, not 100% sure though. Whatever they’re doing, I hope it’s as good as it was before.

Bodyshopguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e GT/2020 BMW 750iM/60 Vette/12 Wrangler
Occupation
Collision Center(s) Owner
Country flag
Yeah it really sucks. Going on 4 months driving an Edge as a loaner…
Ford Edge, that's not a bad loaner... my thoughts... be thankful, they gave you a car... we commonly deal with insurance companies only paying 30 days of rental or less... customers go sideways after the 30 days... I probably would totaled the side hit at my shop... get a high salvage bid and call it a day... go buy a new undamaged car... I have a 750i that cost twice as much as my Mach E... and I'm just glad to have a loaner... during any repairs. Back to the side hit... the battery is 28,000.00... an "open item" in the repair... I would have convinced the insurance company to total the car...

OP
OP
areda11

areda11

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
none
Country flag
Ford Edge, that's not a bad loaner... my thoughts... be thankful, they gave you a car... we commonly deal with insurance companies only paying 30 days of rental or less... customers go sideways after the 30 days... I probably would totaled the side hit at my shop... get a high salvage bid and call it a day... go buy a new undamaged car... I have a 750i that cost twice as much as my Mach E... and I'm just glad to have a loaner... during any repairs. Back to the side hit... the battery is 28,000.00... an "open item" in the repair... I would have convinced the insurance company to total the car...
Yeah I’m definitely just thankful to have a car right now. Insurance payed for 30 days with hertz, then extended a little, but then that ran out so we ended up getting one from the dealership. The battery wasn’t damaged which is why it wasn’t too much. The final estimate ended up being $14,000. $5k for the parts, $5k for labor, $3k for paint and other supplies, and $1k for tax. It’s being reassembled right now and should be done at the end of the week. Paint and everything is all done, so after reassembly, it’s reprogram, alignment, wet sand/polish and clean/detail.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I doubt it's of any comfort that most of us active forum members remember this from our childhood or our children's. 😂
Ok, I’ll bite - I don’t recognize the reference.