Thoughts about the $7500 rebate

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
As I understand it, even if Ford hits 200k vehicles this year, we still get the full $7500 for the next 2 quarters after they exceed the limit.
Not exactly. The full credit remains in effect for the remainder of the quarter in which 200k was reached plus ONE additional quarter.
Sponsored

DarkStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E SR RWD
Country flag
You just fill out a form on the tax return with date of purchase and VIN. I did my own taxes and had to look for the form in Turbo Tax but it was fairly easy. No real extra paperwork was required.
Thatā€™s a relief, thanks! So it sounds like your purchase date and VIN are your magic ticket, as long as you were in the window at the time. Was hoping we wouldnā€™t all be racing each other to file with a finite amount of credits on the line.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
Thatā€™s a relief, thanks! So it sounds like your purchase date and VIN are your magic ticket, as long as you were in the window at the time. Was hoping we wouldnā€™t all be racing each other to file with a finite amount of credits on the line.
Only race will be against the clock. Let's say that the 200k was hit in quarter 3 this year, that means you need to take delivery by 12/31 to get the full tax credit. It will be interesting to see how many deliveries we get before the tax credit decreases.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
A tax credit doesnā€™t cost Ford a penny. I expect Ford to ship and sell every MME they can. Orders become sales after they are delivered. Ford needs sales. I expect no holdbacks to manage the tax credit eligibility.

Mrcon728

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
You just fill out a form on the tax return with date of purchase and VIN. I did my own taxes and had to look for the form in Turbo Tax but it was fairly easy. No real extra paperwork was required.
I purchased my MME in January 2022. The way I am reading the IRS $7500 tax credit law is I have to wait until filing 2022's return to claim it. Am I correct?

NJ_MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E Select RWD wComfort/Tech, '16 Honda Fit
Country flag
I purchased my MME in January 2022. The way I am reading the IRS $7500 tax credit law is I have to wait until filing 2022's return to claim it. Am I correct?
Yes, but you can adjust your withholdings/estimated tax payments accordingly so you don't end up giving the government a $7500 loan.

Mrcon728

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Yes, but you can adjust your withholdings/estimated tax payments accordingly so you don't end up giving the government a $7500 loan.
Great Advice. I never gave that a thought. I appreciate the info.

Last edited:

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
I went with Ford Options financing. So I do qualify for the tax credit because it is not a lease it's a retail contract? Just want to confirm. Geez I'm starting to sound like the posters on that Ford options vs lease sticky lol.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I went with Ford Options financing. So I do qualify for the tax credit because it is not a lease it's a retail contract? Just want to confirm. Geez I'm starting to sound like the posters on that Ford options vs lease sticky lol.
You qualify if you have at least $7500 in tax liability.

machev

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
You are correct, with Ford Options you are eligible for the federal tax credit.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
The govt takes about 40% tax out of my paycheck. I don't itemize either because I don't have to just straight forward. I think I should get all. I do my taxes myself because it's easy.

You qualify if you have at least $7500 in tax liability.

Last edited:

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Ford Flex. 2022 MME premium RWD ER o 1/26/22
Occupation
RN
Country flag
Itā€™s nice to FINALLY be eligible for a tax break.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Well I got the full rebate until the IRS said I did not because something something... Ends up I get a out 70% of it. Better than nothing.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Well I got the full rebate until the IRS said I did not because something something... Ends up I get a out 70% of it. Better than nothing.
You didnā€™t have $7500 in tax liability.

Itā€™s non-refundable. So if you only owed $5000 in taxes on your income last year, you only get $5000 of the $7500 tax credit.

If your income is under $80k or so, you donā€™t get the full credit. Unfortunately nothing you can do after the fact to increase your income for last year.

For lower income people buying this year, Roth conversions, realized capital gains, or changing 401k contributions to Roth come to mind.
Sponsored